1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cavs fire Lucas

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Castor27, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'm kind of surprised it took this long.

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

Lucas is such a good guy too.

Here come the "Fire Rudy/Hire Lucas" threads. :D

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Nail was in the coffin last week when he said he expected a loss to Portland.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

No way but I wouldn't mind him coming here as a guard coach. He did a real good job with the Franchise this summer.

6. BALLhog 247 365

its because they traded dre. they were much more respectible with him last year

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What is the point of firing a coach of a team that is built to lose? The GM tanked the season before it started and the coach gets the ax? I could see them being upset if he was too successful and hurt their chances for Lebron James. But, given the roster he was left with and his goals for the season, a coaching change really could have waited till the offseason.

8. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I wonder who the next coach will be:

1) Lebron's mom
    2) Lebron's HS coach
    3) Lebron's car salesman
    4) Lebron

9. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

i mean...their team just sucks. Aren't they trying to lose? What do you expect? So many injuries...and so many young players. Good luck to him.

10. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

bring back Mike Fratello.

:rolleyes:

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

well, Hill basically went public accusing Lucas of tanking.

<blockquote><hr> -- For some reason, the Cavaliers' veterans are growing tired of watching John Lucas try to turn the kids into players on the league's worst team. Tyrone Hill and Bimbo Coles believe their careers are slipping away while the Cavaliers wait for the LeBron James lottery, and they are right.

Lucas agitated those feelings when he held an intense practice last week by pitting his younger players against the veterans. It was loaded with physical play and trash talking and more defense than the Cavaliers show in a month of NBA games.

Coles and Hill even began shouting with Lucas.

"It was spirited because I've got guys mad at me because they're not playing," Lucas said. "They're making it tough on me because they're playing hard in practice, and they're giving me all they have. It has the tension high around me because guys want to play. I have to fight every day in practice because it's my fault they're not playing."

Hill, especially, is a better player than the players getting playing time and knows it.

"Who would be happy?" Hill said. "I've done everything the organization has wanted me to do since training camp. I'm not a young guy anymore and I wish they'd take that into consideration. <b>If the organization thinks DeSagana Diop, Carlos Boozer and Smush Parker are the future of the team, than there's nothing me or Bimbo can do about that but practice and work hard until our name is called.</b>" <hr></blockquote>
    imo, it is a travesty that Hill is not starting. At least Denver is starting Howard, and trying to start Camby...lol

12. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

See what happens when you're blown out by the Nugs? ;)

13. Ghettostar85

Ghettostar85 Member

I like George Lucas.....he seems to be honest.....it would be cool if he was a help trainer or something like that in houston

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

No wonder the Cavs were losing!
    [​IMG]
    "Well, my script calls for Diopp to use the force to
    actually leave the ground, but it's just not happening."

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The worst part? They'll 'lose' the lottery and finish with the 4th pick.

Trade the Cavs to Anaheim for the Ducks. Seriously!!!

16. Timing

Timing Member

:D Too funny!

John Lucas is a crappy coach. I thought that was the whole reason they hired him, to screw up the team so badly that they'd get the most ping pong balls to nab Lebron.

17. foodworld

foodworld Member

Lucas is a good influence on the players, but I just don't get why he is playing Darius Miles at the point.

18. Kayman

Kayman Contributing Member

This will go in the history as one of those rare trades that made both teams worse.

19. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Kind of like that Baker-Kemp-Hill trade back in like '97.

At first, it looked like all 3 teams had benefitted. Baker was doing what Kemp had been doing without all the whining, Kemp had reignited Cleveland, and Hill was performing well for the Bucks.

Now, though all three teams have gotten rid of their troubled PF's, noone benefitted at all.

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Paxson's the one who deserves to go. Talk about a joke. John Lucas received his orders from on high (ownership/Paxson). I'm sure he would want to win, except it is clear the team wants the opportunity to acquire LeBron. So Lucas was at the point where he lost all communication with the players, and perhaps couldn't quite meet ownership's expectations....look good and lose at the same time.

So now they give the head coach spot to a relative nobody who won't last into next season but who can shrug and say, "Hey, I tried, but it was just too much, the team had fallen too far." Then he'll borrow the Cubs' annual mantra: "Hey: wait'll next year."

Too bad Lucas had to take the fall for all the BS.

It'll be interesting to see the look on the Cleveland rep's face at the NBA Draft Lottery when the team gets the #2 pick. Will it be Paxson, looking like he just crapped himself? Stay tuned!