1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cavs assistant coach passed away

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LooneyToon, Aug 23, 2004.

1. LooneyToon

LooneyToon Contributing Member

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/news/osowski_passes_040823.html

Cavaliers Assistant Coach Mark Osowski Passes Away

Coach Mark Osowski
    1963-2004
    CLEVELAND, August 23 – It is with great sadness that the Cleveland Cavaliers announce the passing of Assistant Coach Mark Osowski, Cavaliers President and General Manager of Basketball Operations Jim Paxson announced today. Osowski died Sunday at the age of 41 from complications of pancreatitis.
    “This is a tragic loss for all of us. Mark lived life to the fullest and he worked passionately every day. He was such a vibrant and dynamic person to be around. I respected him greatly, as did our entire organization. He will be missed very much,” Paxson said.

“Mark had a very positive impact on the players and staff alike,” Cavaliers Head Coach Paul Silas said. “He touched all of us every day with his charisma and sense of humor. He was a wonderful friend and one of the hardest working people I've ever worked with. We worked closely together, side by side, for many years and it is difficult for me to express how much I'm going to miss him. Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife Kristin, her family and Mark's family.”

Osowski had 20 years of basketball coaching experience. He began his NBA coaching career in 1996, as an assistant coach with the Charlotte Hornets. During his tenure with the club, the Hornets owned a 180-116 (.608) record, including two 50+ win seasons in 1996-97 and 1997-98 and three playoff appearances. Osowski and Silas worked as assistants for two seasons in Charlotte from 1997-99 under Dave Cowens. Osowski remained on the coaching staff when Silas was promoted to head coach midway through the 1998-99 season and continued as an assistant during Silas’ first full season as Hornets head coach in 1999-2000. He then spent three seasons with the Golden State Warriors before joining Silas’ coaching staff in Cleveland.

Osowski was heavily involved in the community in his hometown of Leominster, Massachusetts. He conducted the Mark Osowski Pro Basketball Camp for Boys and Girls for nine years and also sponsored the Catherine Osowski Memorial Scholarship benefiting a graduate of his high school (Leominster High School) who pursued a career in the nursing/health care field. He is survived by his wife Kristin-Ann.

Funeral arrangements are currently being solidified.

---------------------

Something like this is so sad. I can understand it a little if he were 20 years older but he was only 41. I send my condolences to his family.

:(

2. JamesC

JamesC Member

Sad news. Thoughts and prayers are with his family.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Especially sad since he was only 41.