1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cato makes top-10 list

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JoeBarelyCares, Jul 11, 2001.

1. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Of cap-killers, that is. Following is a neat article from the Sporting News. http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/sean_deveney/20010710a.html This is also a list of probably the only players for which the Rockets could trade Cato:

Teams hurting from overpaying for underwhelming free agents

July 10, 2001

Sean Deveney
    The Sporting News

You know it's going to happen, because it happens every year. There's a pretty good young player, with pretty good measurables, who is coming off his first pretty good year, and is now a free agent. He'll sign a contract that is well beyond pretty good, based on the notion that he will develop into a great player, even though nothing in the player's professional life has been better than pretty good.

Guys like Nazr Mohammed, Todd MacCulloch, Marc Jackson -- all pretty good players with potential, but all heading for a payday well beyond pretty good.

Unfortunately for NBA teams, these contracts happen way too often, and they are among the most common offenders when it comes to chewing up cap space. Only three teams -- the Bulls, the Pistons and Rockets -- have significant cap room this offseason, though a fourth, the Spurs, could have room if they renounce David Robinson and/or Derek Anderson.

If you are wondering why your team doesn't have room this summer, it's because of these cap-chewing contracts. You can't go after Chris Webber if you are paying Kerry Kittles $7.5 million or giving Matt Geiger $8 million.

Every team (except the Lakers and Bulls, for two very different reasons) has a contract that is costing the team -- not so much in terms of the money paid to the player, but in the limitations on the team's ability to chase players like Webber.

Kittles, for instance, is killing the Nets, and will continue to do so until his contract runs out in 2005, or until he starts playing like the player the Nets thought he would be when they gave him such a windfall. That's probably the cruelest part about these big contracts. You can't get rid of the player, so all you can do is hope he somehow plays the way you thought he would.

There are, primarily, two types of cap-chewer contracts: the ones that overpay pretty good players who never get better than pretty good, and the ones that overpay star players who no longer play like stars. Both are deadly to your team's free agent hopes. Here's how I see the five worst in each category:

The fallen stars:

1. Shawn Kemp. Considering the way things went for Kemp last season, he has the NBA's worst cap-chewing contract. He averaged 6.5 points and 3.8 rebounds and finished the season in drug rehab. He will get $12.5 million this year, then a raise to $21.5 million in 2002-03, then up to $25 million in 2003-04.

2. Vin Baker. Unless they swap him for Kemp, it's going to be difficult for the Sonics to unload Baker's contract. He is booked solid through 2006, and will cost his team $11-16 million in each of those seasons. Imagine having one-fourth of your cap money tied up in a guy an unpredictable and disinterested as Baker.

3. Bryant Reeves. One thing Reeves is good at is taking up space, something he excels at when it comes to Grizzlies payroll. Reeves did not look so bad after averaging 16.2 points and 8.1 rebounds in 1996-97, and got his large extension shortly thereafter. Now, the Grizzlies are beholden to him for the next three seasons -- at $11.5 million, $13 million and $14.4 million -- even though he has become a 9-point, 6-rebound, bench player.

4. Larry Johnson. This was the height of Knicks generosity, taking Johnson's absurd contract off the hands of the Hornets. Johnson has been a bad fit with the Knicks and has been well paid for it. He'll get $11.3 million this year, $9.5 million the following year, and $7.8 million in 2003-04.

5. Juwan Howard. It's not that Howard was terrible in Washington -- it's just that he could not possibly play up to the amount of money he was making. He can't do it now in Dallas, either, not when he is getting almost $40 million for the next two seasons.

The following players don't have the big names that the guys on the previous list sport. But that's just the thing -- they were given star-in-waiting contracts. Only, they never quite became stars.

1. Greg Ostertag. He is going to chew up $7 million in Jazz cap room this year, $7.8 million next year and $8.6 million the year after. And if the Jazz had that money to spend, you can bet they'd be looking to spend it on a center.

2. Kelvin Cato. Maybe it's too early to call him a complete waste of money just yet. But the Rockets owe him an average of $7.2 million over the next five years. His averages in his four-year career: 5.4 points, 4.3 rebounds.

3. Alan Henderson. He got the NBA's Most Improved Player award in 1998, and signed a 7-year deal after. But he has been enigmatic and inconsistent since then, leaving the Hawks with a bench player who is likely to cost them $7.5 million per season for four more years.

4. Tariq Abdul-Wahad. A "breakthrough" of 11.4 points per game in 1999-2000 with the Magic and Nuggets led Denver to give him more than $43 million over seven years, hoping they'd finally found that third scoring option behind Raef LaFrentz and Nick Van Exel. Now, the Nuggets have a shooting guard who can't shoot locked up through 2007, and are still looking for a third scorer.

5. Michael Stewart. Stewart was a 6-10 undrafted free agent who signed with the Kings and had a decent rookie season -- he played in 81 games and averaged 4.6 points and 6.6 rebounds. Being a center with perceived upside, Stewart was given a six-year, $24 million deal. He has responded by scoring exactly 152 points and grabbing 222 rebounds in three seasons. And he still has three seasons to go on his contract.

------------------

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This demands thunderous emphasis like a herd of Bison Dele's.

Please, Marc Jackson throws up some selfish junk for a year and all of a sudden he is much better than Bo Outlaw!

3. driver8

driver8 Contributing Member

I'd take Marc Jackson over Outlaw. Sure it would be nice to get a UH alum back into Houston, but at least Jackson's got an upside potential. I saw Jackson play about 5 times last season (I live in the Bay Area) and was blown away each time. The guy can flat out rebound and has a post up game (unlike Mo Taylor). Sure he's an undersized center, but I tend to agree with some of the other posters in this forum that contend a center is only a necessity when you play the Lakers.

------------------

4. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Who in the hell signed Mike Stewart for 24 million? [​IMG] He was awful in Toronto.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, Charles Woodson, and Eddie Griffin fan club.

5. Lewie221

Lewie221 Member

12.5, 21.5, and 25 mill for KEMP??? 59 mill over 3 years???? wow, Blazers are S-C-R-E-W-E-D-!!!!!

6. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Ya know, if I were one of these guys, I would feel so badly I would get myself into shape and get some game.

They have the skills, but these players all are coasting right now. I would personally feel terribly if someone paid me a ton of money, and then I sucked. I'd work my ass of to get better. 24/7.

------------------
    I'm looking for a job, so hire me

"And I just have to smile and say 'well, I hope so' while I'm really thinking inside how I'd like to just strangle them and take their job."

7. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Huh? What the hell happened to Antonio McDyess??

------------------
    The season's over, but the 'Stros have started. Guess I'm still gonna be nursing that keg...

8. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Suddenly, Cato's contract doesn't sound so bad. [​IMG]

------------------
    Nothing is impossible, if you believe it's possible.

9. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Yeah, really. Looking at that top 5 just makes you cringe. At least we aren't in those situations...

Rok

------------------
    "Do you know what nemesis means? 'A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent'. Personified, in this case, by a horrible c***: ME."
    - Brick Top, Snatch

10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

yeah, if you think about it and look at the numbers, Cato's 42mill isn't horrible, but it still sucks, but that's mainly cause cato sucks...

The rocks really have managed their cap well other than the cato thing. And if Dream has one year left, then him AND walt would be off the books and the Rocks would be players AGAIN next year..

This makes me respect Cuttino much more than I did before. I mean, if this guy hardballed, I really think he could get maxed out somewhere.

I got brain mush forcasting the future too, but man, the possibility of Duncan or Zo in the future might not be such a far fetched dream. I wonder how K9 and Wink's negotiations will go... oh well

11. Eddie Griffin

Eddie Griffin Member

Michael "Kebu" Stuart. It's a joke! [​IMG] If i were 6'10" i would play instead of him.

------------------

12. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

Would swap Cato for Henderson in a NY minute. In fact, I would swap him to anyone stupid enough take his $$ off our hands.

Rockets don't make too many major mistakes with respect to judging talent. Don't think his talent or potential is the issue...he's just the Lion and the Tin Man all wrapped up in one. Where is Oz when we need him?? [​IMG]

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I wondered the same thing

Kemp's Contract is ABSOLUTELY INSANE!!
    Portland in for a world of hurt
    the need to CHOKE down a buy out
    Suffer for a year or so. .
    and then they can heal from the
    *ss ripping sh*t they had just dropped

Rocket River

------------------

14. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Maybe we could get LaFrentz out of Denver and dump Cato to them at the same time if we agreed to take their cap-killer, Wahad. I don't know what else we would have to give them, though, because they obviously would not do this deal straight up.

------------------

15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RE: Kemp

Alot of these pre-current cba contracts are kind of strange, with alot of backloaded stuff. An intresting example is Lary Johnson, who I believe made $12mil last year. His contract actualy DECREASES in value down to 5mil in its final year. These things just are not possible under current CBA.

------------------

16. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Pretty good idea though, since you can predict most players will have a decline in their later years.

------------------
    The title will come to ClutchCity once again.