1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CAT wants Rockets by Beijing TV

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by chinese, Jun 12, 2005.

1. chinese

chinese Member

the link,
    (http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/p/2005-06-12/10551609045.shtml)in Chinese

I saw this report on China Beijing TV sport news. It says that Cat, Mobley said he prefer Rockets to Spur after NBA final game one, interviewed by Chinese journalist,he responsed with that he wants Rockets fans in China speaking for him and helping him to return Houston. He want to play for Rockets and along with his friend Yao, he said that Rockets has cap to sign him and he miss the happy days in Houston.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If Mobley wants to play for the Rockets then he will have to settle for a MLE deal. He opted out of a deal that would pay him MORE than the MLE. And we have nothing to offer the Kings in a S&T to get Mobley more. I dont see it happening.

3. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

I don't see it happening either. Even if they could work out some sort of deal with the Kings, I just can't see the Rockets paying Mobley more than he was scheduled to make this year. Frankly, I'm not sure they would even offer the whole MLE. :confused:

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

It is possible that Cat takes the MLE (if the Rockets offered it to him). I know he took a paycut last time for us and it would be difficult to see him doing it again.

But Houston is still his home. ALL players love it here, he's always been a fan favorite, and this would be his best chance at a championship. He's already got a home here and I'm sure he loves this town.

I think adding a SG like CaT would really help our team out. He is a better shooter than Wesley, he is taller and more athletic as well. He'd be able to run with TMac while also hitting all the 3's DW had.

Sura
    Cat
    TMac
    Swift :confused: :D
    Yao

That would be a good lineup.

5. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Maybe Cat wouldn't want a huge deal, and have all the "overpaid" talk over his head. :p

I seriously think he'd be a big help. Who beside TMac, can create off the dribble for us? Cat can.

6. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Didn't someone here talk to him recently and say that Cat's gonna look for a big contract to take care of his family? If so, he certainly won't find that here.

7. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

I think he is probably one of the most versatile sg's that are going to be a FA this summer. Not for the fact that he could play more than one position, but because he can play more than one role.

We've seen him as a great 6th man, a great scorer, and before he left a great defender/shooter. If JVG wants him, I think he will be able to play the same role that Wesley was playing, but with more energy and more height.

For the right price I want him back. His energy is needed at the sg position.

8. New Jack

New Jack Member

Big contract could just mean a long term contract. Cat was due 6.3 million next year if he hadn't opted out. I doubt there are many teams willing to give a 30 year old Mobley a 5 or 6 year deal playing him more than 6 million per year. But if the Rockets offered him a 5 year deal at the MLE, that could be just what Mobley is looking for. A contract similar to what Juwan Howard's deal. Not a ton of $ per year, but a long term deal that gives him security.

9. micah1j

micah1j Member

All Free Agents want as many teams as possible going after them. It ensures they get the best deal possible.

Anyone know what question was asked to generate this response? He said he prefered Rockets to Spurs. The Spurs have Ginobilli & Barry already at the SG spot- Ofcourse he would prefer the Rockets. :rolleyes:

10. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

yeah, he even said that himself in the interview.

11. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

The Rockets could trade Wesley and a first or second rounder to the Kings and get Cat for DW's salary plus 2.4 million to start. Wesley and a pick is certainly better for the Kings than the nothing they get if he leaves in FA.

12. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

But we should never give a 30-year-old player a deal that long because of how fast they fall off athletically. I mentioned this before, but this is why we all agreed that signing Derek Fisher for so long was idiotic.

13. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I love Cat, and felt he was a brilliant pick in the second round for the Rockets. He bled Rocket red. He changed his game for JVG. I love his fire, confidence, gym-rat ways, just like I did Francis. And, even better, he took a lesser place to Francis, and got paid less, for the team.

But, I'd really love him to get his pay-day. He deserves that. I just don't see the Rockets giving him that, so, actually, I'd rather him get that somewhere else.

On other practical levels, even though he would definitely be an upgrade over Wesley, I'm not sure he's the right fit with Yao. He was a part of the "dumb and dumber" tag team that didn't fit once Yao got here. His game is based on his great first step and athleticism, and that will slow, as will his game, if we keep him long term.

As much as I love the guy, I think the Rockets need to say no to Cat.

14. SlizardOO

SlizardOO Member

Even if Cat loses his great first step he is still a good defender and 3 pt shooter.

When you think about big contracts you also have to consider cost of living. 6 mil in Houston is huge compared to 6 mil in New York or L.A.

15. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

He was probably asked something stupid like, If you could play for the San Antonio Spurs or the Houston Rockets who would you choose.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cuttino would be great,
    he would have plenty of shots since he'll be wide open. Plus the other teams have to recognize that Cat can drive also. Plus we need a lefty.

17. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

There is no way Cat will get more than the MLE unless Sac facilliatates as sign and trade. The guys who will change teams as free agents and make more than the MLE (to the cap under teams) will be younger than Cat.

Also, it is doubtfull he will get more next year than his contract with Sac was for, but he can get multiple years secured, which is what he and his agent were thinking.

Agreed.

A second, even NY's second, makes a lot of sense. I wouldn't do a first unless we had a couple years to do it or some protection (e.g., #25+). I don't understand the second part (+2.4). The pick has no salary, it has to be within 15% either way of Wesley's which makes a lot of sense, as long as the years are within reason (maybe 4?).

It wasn't just Fisher's age, it was that his production and shooting efficiency was declining despite playing with 2 of the leagues best for creating opps for others. Cat has shot extremely well the last couple of years in a number of different situations/teams. I would have no problem with a 3 year deal, maybe 4.

Cat is really like a younger, more dynamic and athletic Jon Barry. Yeah, sometimes they do things most other players wouldn't and some times it doesn't work out and it looks stupid (jacking 3s on the break), but sometimes you need guys with moxy, and both guys are great shooters. I'd take him back for sure, Wesley and protected #1 (or NY pick) sounds good to me, still gives us the MLE to target the 4 spot.

18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

My theory is at this point his career, he probably just wants to win. He's hardly ever tasted the post-season. He did it twice with us, once with the Sacremento Tankers this year---never advancing.

He's still a great defender and 3 point shooter, he's used to being a 3rd option. All of that rolled into one package would be well worth it.

19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I would like to get Cat back for the right price. Wesley for Cat sign and trade but i wouldn't give him more than about 7m per for 4yrs. If I could get Daniels and Cat, I could keep Howard at the 4. Resign Bowen,Deke,Barry, and draft the best availible player, and the Rox are ready to go.

20. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

If we can bring the cat back at the right price then I'm all for it. I also think he'd be great playing the point at times. A Lineup of Yao McGrady and Cat playing together and being friends? Stevie Francis will probably start crying soon.