1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cat Quandary

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tmoney1101, Feb 3, 2010.

1. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

When I got up to take my dog out this morning..err afternoon, I found a few month old kitten huddled up against my apartment door. It was about 44 degrees out and drizzling, here in Austin. He was balled up and shivering.

I took him down to the front office and two of the three girls that work there are allergic to cats and bolted out of the office as soon as I walked in. I asked the other woman if anyone had reported the cat missing, she said no, and that all they would do is call the ASPCA.

I took the cat back to my apartment. I'm trying to figure out what to do with him. He chilled out under my treadmill for a couple hours. I have a two year old chocolate lab and it took them a while to feel each other out.

Now, he seems to have acclimated pretty well...puring, rolling around, etc. He's very affectionate, but I've never been a cat guy. I don't know if I want to keep him, I probably shouldn't, but I don't want to send him to the ASPCA.

What do you think I should do/ would you do? :)

#1 tmoney1101, Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Maybe you can put some fliers around your complex to see if anyone would be willing to take him in? Ask the front office if they can spread the word around as well. I'm sure there will be SOMEONE at your apartment complex that would be willing to take him in.

3. Landlord Landry

4. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

That's how they get you. It's over now.

5. tmoney1101

Yeah, they didn't seem very interested...there was a really weird looking dude in the office and was like,"may I touch him?" I almost asked him if he wanted it, but I think he would have pulled a Landlord ^^^ on him.

6. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Yep. You're going to keep him now and love him until he dies.

7. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

This :(

8. LALaw

LALaw Member

Find out if your SPCA has a no-kill policy before you decide to take the little guy there.

I can tell you I got a kitten as a surprise x-mas present a few years back and was flabbergasted to say the least. Luckily my friend stepped out of the room on some pretense and I held the kitten for about 5 minutes while I thought about what it would take to return the young bear back to the SPCA.

Three years later and I'm happy I decided to keep the cat. You are even more lucky that your dog may have some built in company now. I say keep him!

9. tmoney1101

I can't get him to drink water....can they eat crushed dog food? :confused:

10. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

I forgot to add:

Just make sure he doesn't urinate on your neighbor's grill.

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

First, get rid of your dog. No self-respecting dog over 20lbs doesn't do his damnedest to eliminate all felines within his reach. jk

Seriously, put up some fliers and if no one bites then ask some friends if they or anyone they know wants a kitten. That has always worked for me.

By the way, anyone want a 4 year old, neutered, bad-ass male cat? He loves dogs, is a great mouser and will absolutely seek and destroy any other cats that come into the yard. In fact, he is the best "cat deterrent" alive. Never mind, now I remember why I feed him.

12. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

No, they shouldn't. Dogs digest fat better than cats do (it's why dogs eat cat poop); the dog food will wreck havoc on Kittius' digestive track.

13. tmoney1101

Check that...yeah, I'm about to head to the store. I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff and end up giving him to someone or someone end up claiming him tomorrow.

14. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

15. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

A bag of cat food will cost you $5 (maybe less) and will last probably a month. Don't sweat it.

16. tmoney1101

Yeah, I just got back from the store. I spent less than 25 for the basics, which is crazy because I spent like 200 + on all of my dogs basics(+ the 1500 I spent on her), so I was really surprised. :eek:

17. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

More evidence for post 14. Cats are a cheap date, and they clean themselves, so they don't even have to shower before sex.

18. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Truth.

Keep the cat. You won't regret it.

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You know you're going to keep it.

Just make sure you train it to use the can. Cat boxes are gross.

[​IMG]

20. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

If this is an affectionate kitten....keep it.

Cats can be outstanding pets. If your dog is ok with the cat, it will also give your dog somebody to play with when you are not home.

We have cats and dogs. I would NEVER trade any of my cats. I love them. I suspect you will too.