1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cat Mobley HAS TO GO!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by EgRiFf08, Nov 2, 2003.

1. danjojo

danjojo Member

Damn ! Some people are OverRly aggressive on this site...

Anywoo, with regards to the thread itself, why are we talking about trading a guy who has led the team in scoring in 2 of the 3 wins we have this season ? Can we wait until we're 3-30 or something like that before we start trading players ? So far, the team is playing excellent defense and not doing that bad a job on offense either...

If it ain't broke don't trade it...

2. jdlee80

jdlee80 Member

Ok idiots, here is the deal. Mobley may be the dumbest player in the league. He has no concept of the shot clock or passing. The guy can shoot (at times) and is valuable to the team for trade concerns. WHoever posted that we need 3 scorers like dallas should never post on this site again. Dallas's scheme works until they face a team with a good inside game. THat is what we are gunning for with yao, mo, and cato. You can pull out some wins with cat and franchise shooting all night, but that won't get you anywhere in the playoffs. It is still way to early to be talking trades with only 4 games under our belt, but if dawson were smart he would work out a deal that shipped Mobely and Griffin's worthless ass out of town for a harrington type player and a solid 2.

P.S. I hate everyone on here!

3. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Why don't you give Prozac a try or maybe Wellbutrin

4. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

P.S.S.Y.: Thank you.

5. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Well you've been here for 23 whole posts and already you hate everybody and have basically called everyone an idiot.

Your gonna be a big hit:rolleyes: Oh and welcome to the ignore list.

6. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I only hate low double digit IQ, slobbering, mouth breathing, complete and total morons such as yourself.

If public education wasn't so bad, some teacher would have already pegged you as "different," you'd be riding the short bus to grade school with all of the other special needs kids like yourself, and you wouldn't be polluting my favorite BBS with your utter stupidity.

Then I probably wouldn't hate you at all.

7. tothomas

tothomas Member

I’ve always liked Mobley. He hustles, plays good D, can hit the open 3 or create his own shot, and he’s great on the break. His weaknesses are that he doesn’t run the pick and roll well, needs work feeding the post, doesn’t have good court vision once he drives to the basket, and sometimes has way to much confidence in his offensive ability.. In other words he is a scorer. But I’m fine with that, because he is a shooting guard not a point guard.
    Trading him doesn’t make much sense to me. The Rockets would not get a better player for the same price. You might get a player that is strong in the areas Mobley is weak, but your not going to get a player with equal strengths and none of his weaknesses. Maybe some say, trade him for a PG and move SF to SG. Problem, can you get a starting PG for Mobley. How much scoring and defense are you losing with that move. Think of the Nets game with someone other than Mobley playing for the Rockets.
    I think a case can be made for using Mobley as a 6th man instant offense off the bench player, the way Vinnie “The Microwave” Johnson was used in Detroit. Maybe, but I’m not sold on that either. The pressure that a line up with SF, Mobley and Yao put on a defensive unit should not be under rated. When a team has to play great defense on three players rather two or one it can fatigue them mentaly and physically. Expecially if the players that your defending are movers.
    As ugly as last nights game was it showed one thing. If another team disrupts our set offense, we have the defense, and the creative scorers to still win the game. Mobley is a big part of that. I would much rather spend my time working with Mobley on how to improve on his weaknesses then replace him altogether. He just brings to much to this team that is taken for granted.

8. Grydian

Grydian Member

Hey dumbass he must be smarter then you because he was 8-9 from the field last night. This guy is on fire if anything I want him to pass LESS and shoot MORE.

9. Nova

Nova Member

P.S. We don't give a damn.

10. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

What!? 9 Shots you've got to be kidding me. I dont care that he made 8 ... thats way too many!!

Get off Mobley's back people. The man may not know how to pass, but he's got skills and can carry this team on nights like last night when both Yao and Steve were having a tough time shooting the ball early.

11. jdlee80

jdlee80 Member

Hey Pole, pretty pathetic that you had to pull the spelling card don't you think? Was there any doubt what word i was using? AS for you Grydian, he has been hot as of late but what else is new. Streaky players don't win championships and if you think that he will keep that up then you really are a dumbass. I apologize to all the people on this site who know enough about baskeball to realize that cat is one of the worst team players in the league. It doesn't matter how hot you are, if you can't play well with the team then you aren't helping, period. I wish some people on this site weren't so bush-league all the time.

12. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

The Rockets are starting to get on a roll, developing chemistry, and Pike is due back to add depth, and people want to trade him for a 30+ shooting guard. Yeah, that will DEFINITELY develop chemistry! Take a 3-1 team and get rid of one of their key players for Brent Barry who is over 30 years old and will take time to learn the system. I swear some people will never be happy, we're winning and people want to trade key players.

13. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

When I say trade I mean trading Mobley.

jdlee80 - Everybody on this board thinks you're an idiot and hates you. Now just shut up and go away. You're definitely on my ignore list. You whine that Mobley isn't a team player then you act like a jerk to the people on the message board. Yeah, you sure are a team player yourself! Or, to be more precise, a pain in the @ss.

14. stab

stab Member

Cat doesn't need to go. None of the Rockets really need to go......well maybe Moochie. maybe.

I have seen many differences from each of the Rockets to begin this season. Overall, I am very impressed. Many of the Rox still slip into their old habits, but you can see that they don't dwell on them as much nor do they consistently keep doing them. They are beginning to know their roles. That includes Cat. JVG has been using him the same way that he used Allan Houston. But at least Cat ins't a defensive liability. I like the offense, love the D and I am very in love with the unselfishness that they have displayed beginning the season.

Before anyone gets too over-zealous on the trade possibilities, lets wait and see 1) How we look at full-strength and 2) wait until a little before mid-season. By then we will have a clearer look at who is playing good ball and who is playing like a scrub.

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

This is how you calculate adjusted FG%...

4/10 = .40

Now, take the number of 3 pointers made and multiply it by .05...

3 x .05 = .15

Add them up and youve got the adjusted fg % = .55

Seriously though, I didnt even bother entering this thread because the whole idea is dumb, useless, and idiotic. But, since Mobes is proving to be a huge asset to this team, I decided that I should come in and see what everyone is saying about him now.

Guys, for the love of God, this is getting out of hand. Every player on this team needs to stay here (Except Moochie ;) ). They need to remain intact so that they can develop the proper chemistry to make it to the next level. Enough of these dumb propositions.

16. tothomas

tothomas Member

"Streaky players don't win championships"

Sure they do. Vinnie Johnson, Vernon Maxwell, Kenny Smith, Derrek Fisher, Robert Horry, Parker, etc. they were all streaky shooters matched up with others that could score consistently.

I think you mean more than just streaky. I think you mean in your opinion Mobley's streakiness does not out weigh his selfishness.

I say his socring ability, plus his defense, plus a coach using him wisely out weigh his supposed selfishness.

17. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

What i dont understand is why some posters insisnt on benching Cat for Piatowski, when the man hasnt even played a game for the Rockets yet, preseason or regular season, all while Cat is ON FIRE offensively AND defensively:eek:

18. Little O

Little O Contributing Member

I have to agree with tothomas here, who i just argued with about Cuttino yesterday. Still don't think he's all that and that he has definite room for improvement regarding his decision making, but his streakiness although frustrating isn't really as big a concern as it was previous years.

We finally have a legitimate backup in Piatkowski for those nights when Cat can't hit anything. This is all that needed to be done regarding Cat. His streakiness was just more apparent last year and previous years because there wasn't really anybody to pick up the slack offensively. Now there is. So i can deal with the streakiness now because I know we have a legitimate shooter who can come in and maybe hit the shots that he can't.

19. jdlee80

jdlee80 Member

Yes, ToThomas that is what i meant. Thank you for clarifying. You are right that streaky shooters can definately be role players on championship caliber teams. All the players you listed were a hell of a lot smarter than cat. I think everyone can agreee with that. AS for you RocketMillenium, If i'm on your ignore list then why the hell aren't you ignoring me? Comparing me b****ing about idiots on this site to Mobley not being a team player is making you sound like an idiot, which you are. This isn't a team, it's a ****ing message board. Am i not a team player cause I call people like you out on their bad bull****? Hey, Guilty as charged. Nobody likes me? I could care less if anyone likes me, i'm on here to post my opinion on Rockets issues and read others. Don't ever post anything on this board again.

20. Ben Lusky

Ben Lusky Member

I tend to agree with jdlee80 about mobley. Who knows, he may help this team this year. With 4 games down, he has looked pretty good. But as past seasons show, while he puts up numbers, that hasnt helped us get to the playoffs. I think everyone on this site will agree he takes bad shots, makes bad decisions, and holds on to the ball too long. If not, check your posts a few months back, i'm sure some of the mobley lovers were ready to dump him in the offseason. Some of his inconsistency should change with Van Gundy being around. I still feel that if he has trade value, which he does, we should use that to dump off Griffin before we lose him in the offseason and get nothing in return.

As for jdlee hating everyone on here, I like that too. The site has been a little dull lately, that just fired everyone up. Theres nothing wrong with a little trash talk everyonce in while. Anyone ever watch Trev Alberts and Mark May, thats their whole deal. No one in the country likes Trev unless you are a husker fan, but everyone still likes to hear what he has to say only to rip on him later. Some people on here make some of the dumbest points i've ever heard. Some people make great points. Nothing jdlee pointed out was idiotic. Point is, mobley is a good player in this league, but he hasnt always been the best option for our team. If we could get at player that complements Steve and Yao, which is exactly what VG is looking to do, why not use mobes to get that. He could flourish on a team where he can be a main option. He isnt a main option here, Yao and Steve are.

P.S. i already know my spelling is terrible, no need to point it out later. I dont really feel like it is necessary to spell check these things, it is a message board.