1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cat Mobley HAS TO GO!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by EgRiFf08, Nov 2, 2003.

1. annthuyn

annthuyn Member

how come no one is hating on mobley anymore? :p

2. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

I'm still hatin' on Mobley. If we're gonna rely on his repeating tonight's performance to win games, we'll be 20-62 this season. This fool doesn't shoot well often.

He also refused to pass the ball tonight. Lucky it didn't matter.

3. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Actually his shooting percentage tonight was under his career average so yes he does shoot this well... for the last five years at least.:rolleyes:

4. Visagial

You mean he shoots better than 60% from the 3 pt line for his career? Or do you mean his adjusted career percentage is greater than the 55% against Chicago? Oh wait, neither.

5. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

You all might as well stop fighting about it. The Roxs are not going to trade someone with Cats' talent and he only makes 5mil a year. They will bench him first.

6. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Best Post Ever!!!

7. Lil

Lil Contributing Member

well. actually i think it might not be all that impossible.
    NY is looking to alter their offense so that it's not the plodding half-court game they have right now after spree's departure.
    they're looking to dump the injured harrington on anyone.
    they're looking for a legit PG, ANY legit PG.
    they're looking for a scoring, running PF as insurance to glassman mcdyess.

so we give them mobley's speed and reckless abandon.
    we take good ol' Othella back.
    we give them moochie's dribbling.
    we give them motay's firepower.

and in return, we take houston, we can't do anything but shoot, for like 15m/yr, and prospect williams who's rotting on the NY bench and just needs a little playing time (the same we give to moochie right now).

they get three starters, we get one. but we get the most talented player. we can offer some picks i guess to make it work.

but in any case, i've always liked mobley. a hard worker, who seems to be learning the new system albeit slowly. if he can consistently catch and shoot like he did last night, i'd rather keep him than get an aging houston.

8. outlaw

outlaw Member

After tonight they might not be so quick to dump Othella.
    He played only 13 minutes but scored 12 points and grabbed 5 rebounds.

9. okierock

4-10 is 40%, that is what he shot against Chicago, it just happens that he was 3-5 from 3pt which looks good in the points column. What I find funny is you are saying Cat sucks after a game where he shot in your mind 55% (not sure how 4-10=55% but whatever). Nachbar was 4-4 and 4-4 from 3pt I guess he shot 200%:eek: :eek: man that guy is good.

10. Visagial

I'm saying I don't like his game, and he's inconsistent. I'm also saying that we can't win if we rely on him shooting 60% from the three point line. Last night he shot well, but it was a significant aberration.

What I find funny is how you don't understand adjusted fg%.

11. okierock

Why don't you explain your concept of adjusted fg% to me, here are the shot totals for Cat in Chicago.

Cat took 10 shots including 3 pointers of those shots 4 went in. You show me how to adjust that to 55%.

12. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Cat is getting better. I just love when SF is running all over the place without the ball. Good things usually happen then. Mobes need to do the same. Have his defender chasing him all over the place. Cat is so good with the ball and is a better that average shooter and finisher that the whole defense is at his mercy when he gets the ball with his defender chasing him. Cat has to many facets to his game for me to get rid of him. Many of the other SG's is the league who are supposedly better do not do the things that Mobes does. In face B Davis calls him the most underrated player in the league.

13. Sane

Sane Member

Tonight's game only proved one thing.

If Pike is IN FACT (as JVG said) a good passer into the post, then that along with his range will make him a GREAT fit at the SG position, and he would make things a LOT easier for us.

I, for one, would love to see a healthy Pike moved into the starting line-up, and Mobley moved to the bench backing up both G positions. Steve needs the ball to score, but WHEN he passes, it usually goes to the SG, and I'd like that SG to be Pike rather than Mobley, because Mobley won't put up anythign better than Francis. Also, I'd love for the extra shots to go to MoT and Yao, especially with Pike spacing the floor for them now. JJ can take up Mobley's role, and Pike basically becomes the sweet shooting perimeter player we've been looking for.

Look at how much the game opened up for us when we were on from the perimeter...Think about how it could be if we had that every night, PLUS more shots for Yao, PLUS an excellent bench?

Yao
    MoT (once he gets back into game shape)
    Pike (Interchangeable with JJ)
    JJ (interchangeable with Pike)
    Francis

Bench: Cato, Boki, Mobley.

That would be MY ideal 8-man rotation.

14. RocoRocket

RocoRocket Member

No way we get rid of Cat. He plays good defense and I like his X factor during the games. Cat can shoot the team back in or out of games, just like Vernon Maxwell and John Starcks used to do .Love him or hate him real Rocket fans and Van Gundy should be used to that by now. On a different note....is Matt Boloney still playing ball? Where is he at ? He should be a good fit for the Rockets new style, wich is really the old dump and chuck Rudy style of play he thrived on. Boloney can do everything Moochie cant. Defend, take care of the ball, pass to the big guy, and shoot the 3. Why not Matt Boloney, he is still taking Les to the bank and he was supposed to be our dump and chuck PG of the future until Steves hostile iso regime change forced him out.

15. brocktoon

brocktoon Contributing Member

I really like Cat's enthusiasm and he's a great scorer. However, I think that when Griffin (Adrian, not EG) and Pike get back, it will make Cat a little more expendable. I wouldn't just trade Cat for anyone, but there is one guy that I think would make our team A LOT better and would definitely be willing to trade Cat for him. That guy is Brent Barry. A trade of Cat for Barry works straight up...and it also works if we throw in Moochie or EG. I'm not sure if Seattle would be interested in trading Barry, but I think its an idea worth pursuing (if we haven't already).

16. bblock

bblock Member

Pike's 33-yr old legs and penchant for "ole" defense say no.

Pike would be most effective being a long range sniper from the bench, giving the Rox instant offense from the 2nd unit.

too, Pike is such defense liability---too slow to defend guards, not strong enought to guard F.

for these reasons, Pike would be an effective starter; his value is to bring instant offense off the bench.

17. shawn786

shawn786 Member

The point of the matter is that bench sukz and pik or som1 else should com into the starting line up and mobley should sit down. Having him comin off the bench makes good sense putting him in the starting line up is dumb. Takes touches away from Yao, not that ima big GIVE YAO THE BALL guy, BUT i do belive if the offense goes throigh him we will win.

18. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Also Mobley can add that extra kick comin off the bench that the rockets really dont have right now with the likes of Moochie that is

19. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

what a cancer!

he's shooting 50%/62% and passing the ball.

Cat Mobley HAS TO GO!!

20. okierock

Oh!!! I get it now... the title didn't get finished.

Cat Mobley HAS TO GO TO THE ALL START GAME!!!

:p