1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cat Mobley HAS TO GO!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by EgRiFf08, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

okierock, I agree. This was the first game I missed in a long time but looking at the stats the two guys who really hurt us were Jim Jackson and Steve Francis.

They went a combined 8-26 from the floor and turned the ball over a combined 10 times - thats 10 lost possession between the 2 of them!

anytime you hold a team to 79 points you should win.

2. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Get CAT out and get som1 who understands their role in PERIOD! IMO

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Francis did shoot a poor percentage, but he also got to the line and found a way to put points on the board. He scored 1.19 points per shot, which is fair. In a PPS mode of thinking, only Yao and Cato really did well. Jim Jackson, Mo Taylor, Moochie Norris and Nachbar were the ones hurting us with 0.65 PPS -- 17 points for 26 shots.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Of course, you are right about the turnovers.

5. eyeagainst

eyeagainst Contributing Member

everyones. Its the 2nd game of the regular season, please shut the fvck up about Cat. Once Pike is back, he'll step up ever more, if he doesnt want to lose his starting position.

6. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

People are saying stuff about Mobley that we have heard for the last couple of seasons. The guy is never going to get it. Anyone who thinks he will is fooling themselves.

We need playmakers and right now, we have none.

7. James23

James23 Member

if we're going to trade mobley, we should trade him for Andrei Kirilenko, a tough defender who can play SG or SF. with kirilenko as SF, the rockets can start piatkowski at SG and use jim jackson as the 6th man.

8. azn-baller

azn-baller Member

this thread HAS TO GO!!

cat aint goin nowhere

9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

What a bunch of bs.

WHERE IS HEYPARTNER WHEN WE NEED HIM?? I miss his game play analyisis.

BTW, I didn't read the whole thread. I don't read the weekly trade Mobley threads too much.

Mobeley helped win the first game. He shot 4/9 in the second game, which was better than the team aveage. I just can't understand the obsession with trading Mobley.

10. Manny Ramirez

Uh, maybe because he is the same player as Francis but not as talented?

Maybe because of all the players on the team that have been a Rocket, he has shown the least amount of maturing basketball-wise.

Maybe because he doesn't really fit into Gumby's offensive philosophy...oh wait, that is an extension of #2...never mind.

Damn, my 2nd reason can be spun off to so many different things!

11. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

you don't watch Steve and Eggie play do you???

12. Manny Ramirez

Well Smeg, I meant to say (which obviously didn't come out like I wanted) that of all the players who have played with the Rockets longest (which is Mobley), he has shown the least. However, in re-reading it, I can see where it was confusing, lol.

You are right that Francis and Griffin are just as bad but Mobley has been there longer than both of them...you would think that after 5 seasons, he would show some improvement in his mental game, but I don't see it.:(

13. Lil

Lil Contributing Member

In the spirit of this thread:

Houston trades: PF Eddie Griffin (8.6 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 24.5 minutes)
    PG Moochie Norris (4.3 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 2.4 apg in 16.8 minutes)
    SG Cuttino Mobley (17.5 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 2.9 apg in 41.7 minutes)
    PF Maurice Taylor (8.4 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 1.0 apg in 20.6 minutes)
    Houston receives: SG Allan Houston (22.5 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 2.7 apg in 37.9 minutes)
    PF Othella Harrington (7.7 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 0.8 apg in 25.0 minutes)
    PG Frank Williams (1.3 ppg, 0.9 rpg, 1.6 apg in 8.0 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: -7.3 ppg, -5.5 rpg, and -2.3 apg.

New York trades: SG Allan Houston (22.5 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 2.7 apg in 37.9 minutes)
    PF Othella Harrington (7.7 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 0.8 apg in 25.0 minutes)
    PG Frank Williams (1.3 ppg, 0.9 rpg, 1.6 apg in 8.0 minutes)
    New York receives: PF Eddie Griffin (8.6 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 77 games)
    PG Moochie Norris (4.3 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 2.4 apg in 82 games)
    SG Cuttino Mobley (17.5 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 2.9 apg in 73 games)
    PF Maurice Taylor (8.4 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 1.0 apg in 67 games)
    Change in team outlook: +7.3 ppg, +5.5 rpg, and +2.3 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED
    :D

14. SmeggySmeg

fair call, but really has our fast break / transition offense every improved and that comes down to one player..... damn we should run more .... and before JVG had Mr Francis ever ever ever played a minute of defense and his bone-headed turnovers have completely stopped right.....

mobley makes his mistakes and mental errors sure, but is really the only one????

15. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

That would be the most amazing trade the Rocks could make. If you could convince New York of that you would become the next Mayor of Houston.

But no.... that will not happen. It would be nice though.

16. SmeggySmeg

manny ...... maybe my expectations of the rate of improvement from an overall 2nd pick and 7th pick (which cost us 3 first round picks and the depth this benched needed) are too high and too different from those a second round find like Mobes.

my apologies, I will endevour to adjust my expectations on mental improvement, leadership and ability to run a fastbreak on a guy that is the floor leader of this team, 2 time all-star and will be paid 85 million over the next 7 years.

17. Manny Ramirez

Well Smeg, Francis doesn't impress me either. The only one that does impress me is Yao, so I guess consider me a "Yao-only" fan, lol.

However, you know like I do that Mobley's contract is a bargain compared to Francis and easier to move.

The point is that they are both the same player. We don't need that; we need someone who is willing to be a playmaker.

18. SmeggySmeg

Yao only???? what about Boki, you gotta try the tandem only combo

even combined with the exemption, sure Mobley's contract is a bargain but that is why you get less in return, at best we get some overpaid 30plus year old with just as many faults that some team doesn't want to eat the contract anymore.

they aren't the same player if Steve could run the half court offenses and fastbreaks, and if you bring in some sort of playmaking PG, then how does Steve score then, he needs the ball to score and whether he offically plays point or the 2 spot he will still have the ball in his hands a hell of a lot of the time.

19. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

Cat 5-7 three pointers on the season.

I just watched him steal a pass and then drain the three.

Cat haters are completely oblivious to valuable basketball players.

20. Manny Ramirez

Even a blind hog will find an acorn every once and awhile, LeGrouper.:D

J/K - However, I would like to see Mobley do this on a consistent basis.

Hey, if Mobley plays at a consistent level and shows that he doesn't make the mental mistakes that he has made in the past then I will be the first one here to admit that I was wrong to you, Smeg, Hydra, and others.