1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Castilla Released by Pads - Door swings wide open for ensberg deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketfat, Jul 19, 2006.

1. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

i'm all for trading ensberg, assuming he could fetch useful, younger talent. but trading him for wildly unpredictable bullpen help would be a major mistake.

3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Mark and Rich on 610 earlier said there was a rumor out involving Ensberg and Everett for Khalil Green and Linebrink.

4. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

i said so in other ensberg thread, which got derailed into everett talk (which i had a part in), but taking an unbiased stance as an ausmus hater, the fact remains that we need start looking for a catcher of the future anyway, and somebody mentioned that they have a top catching prospect in AAA named George Kotterras, and that's in addition to Josh Bard, who's only 28 and hitting great this season. Surely one of them is expendable (considering they have Piazza to boot), so I think a trade that could bring Linebrink plus one of them would be fantastic.

5. Shaji

Shaji Contributing Member

i gotta say that deal sounds pretty damn good considering the past 3 seasons linebrink has had and that khalil green wouldnt be much of a letdown defensively...but it scares me what could happen with ensberg...after all the guy knocked 36 bombs last year and was 4th in the mvp voting...

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

hmmmm....... could this be to appease the orioles, assuming the tejada rumors are true? i'd think BAL would prefer a younger, more offensive-minded greene to everett, no?

7. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

I'm not sure we're getting enough back in an Ensberg-Everett for Greene-Linebrink deal. I mean, Khalil isn't exactly a stud with the stick, he's just not Everett. I do like him as a player, and I'd take him over Everett all else equal, but I dunno about this deal.

Now, Ensberg and Everett for Greene, Linebrink and Kottaras, well, let's talk.

Edit: Or, if the Orioles want Greene for Tejada as Ric proposes... yeah, let's talk in that case, too.

8. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If it's HRs you're worried about, I don't think a lot of Padres hit that many HRs at home because their park is so big :D

So those who judge trades solely on stats can rest easy!

9. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Isnt linebrink an Astros castoff?

10. msn

msn Member

Released the day after his first career victory, back in '02 methinks. There were roster-number issues that precipitated it; Hun was saying how he felt bad about it.

11. Burzmali

Burzmali Member

I think the deal is straight up moronic. We're just giving up on Ensberg after a couple of bad months during which he was injured?

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i never understood why we let linebrink go, i thought he had promising stuff here. that said, i'm not willing to trade ensberg just to correct that mistake.

13. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Im all for getting a player named Khalil..of course i am a bit biased seeing my name is Khalil :D

14. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member

Read my thread on this...The Astros see talent and they say "oh no hes too good trade him or send him back down." Look at Sampson this year. He came up and pitched a 1 hitter..A ONE HITTER !!!! then they sent him right back down....

15. Buck Turgidson

He was a mediocre young inconsistent middle-innings-type pitcher with a very good arm who they tried to sneak through waivers (was out of options) when he was 26 or so. Pads claimed him, Trevor Hoffman tutored him, he found his ****, so it goes.

Remember Doug Henry? That's who we traded for Linebrink in the first place, in case anyone cares.

16. Buck Turgidson

Take it easy, Champ. Why don't you stop talking for awhile?

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i seem to remember thinking we should have kept him in the big leagues, but i don't recall the exact bullpen makeup when the padres picked him up.
    not a big deal, obviously losing linebrink hasn't exactly come back to bite us in the ass considering the last couple years of success.

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i read the other thread. i don't agree, i think the astros have done quite alright for themselves in talent evaluation. there's a reason they are one of the best teams in baseball over the last decade.

19. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Good defensive shortstops with offensive potential don't grow on trees, but Khalil Greene certainly falls into the category. He has slugged in the mid-to- low 400s every full year he has played. He is also riding a pretty hot streak right now. He is a bit of a right-handed pull hitter, so he can probably make good use of the crawford boxes.

20. Buck Turgidson

Don't remember exactly the reason why - coulda been a new pitch, coulda been mechanics, coulda been fate or his shakra aligned properly or whatever - but he picked up some velocity and got damn good, damn quick shortly after leaving the Stros. Changed his career.