1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Casserly to Resign as Texans GM

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by moestavern19, Apr 25, 2006.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

...But not until he gets a chance to screw up a draft one last time.

per kffl.com

Texans | Casserly reportedly to resign; NFL position not a lock
    Mon, 24 Apr 2006 17:13:35 -0700

According to FOXSports.com's John Czarnecki, Charley Casserly reportedly will resign as general manager of the Houston Texans, after the NFL Draft. However, an influential league source said Monday, April 24, there is no guarantee that Casserly will be offered the job as the NFL's director of football operations.

2. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

so close

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

why would they give him a chance to go out and make another buchanon deal. draft another ragone. drat another babin.

4. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Interesting...He'll be apart of the draft, but not the negotiations of the contracts...Maybe we won't overpay at all...

Wish him the best...

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

He hasn't negotiated contracts now for the past two seasons. Their primary negotiator does that with he and McNair as the final sign-offs.

This brings up the question of who will take over for him.

6. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

From what I have heard, Casserly isn't making many draft decisions anyway. McNair has pretty much sealed him out as a decision maker and Kubiak and his staff are doing most of the draft work.

7. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

I think Kubiak & Mcnair are making the main decisions at this point. I thought Ragone got MVP in NFL europe last season. Is he really all that bad? I'm just asking because outside of college, I haven't seen much of him, Carr takes most all the snaps for us.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Sounds a good decision to me.

BTW - no tears will be shed by me if CC gets neither the NFL job nor another top position with another FB team.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Maybe he'll go work for the Colts...or the Titans...or the Jags...or (even better) THE COWBOYS

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

That's what I'm thinking also. I think he is retiring because he has very little power left, and after he said he will retire after the draft he probably has even less influence on who will be drafted now.

11. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Yes CC has made his fair share of mistakes but lets give him credit where credit is do.

2002 Carr is better than Harrington
    Pitts ends up being a very good value pick up!

2003 AJ at three was money ask Detroit if they would take AJ right about now. DD was the steal of the draft.

2004 Robinson was for the third year in a row a great first round pick and this time not in the top 3. For the third year in a row CC is money in the late rounds first picking up Earl second turning Henson (6th round) into a third round pick.

2005 The jury is still out on Trvis Johnson but he did trade down three spots and we still got our guy plus this years Saints third rounder.
    Money again on the second day with All Pro Mathis and starter CC Brown.

Yes with Joppru being injured and others in the second or third round just not getting it done CC has and should be brought up but the famous Babin and P-Burnt trades were Capers, Fangio and the former staffs calls.

12. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Seems like Kubiak will be a Coach/GM. He's done a good job so far.

13. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I agree that Charlie was not the root of all evil. He had help.

Well said.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

[​IMG]

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

He is no longer working for the team.

16. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

What a difference a dash makes ... A topic of "Casserly to Re-sign as Texans GM" just didn't make sense to me until I read the thread.

17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

McClain has said that Reeves will not become GM. Most likely it will be Ron HIll

18. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

1. You can't prove Carr is better than Harrington, but you can prove that Julius Peppers would have been the better pick. Casserly said all along they were hoping M Vick stayed another season and he would have been their 1st pick. Pitts is adequate for a 2nd rd. pick- no pro bowler.

2. AJ was a great pick. Better get the 3rd pick right. DD was a good guess, Casserly said in training camp that year that DD might have a chance and at the end of the season Casserly said they were surprised by his performance. So let's don't think he is a genius for good guessing. Lots of late rd. running backs surprise- (see Denver and KC)

3. D Robinson was a good pick. But you aren't looking at the body of work. Just cherry picking the only two good draft choices that CC has made- AJ and DRob. Glenn Earls is average, he isn't physical enough to be an impact strong safety and doesn't have the coverage skills to be an impact free safety. Do you realize how bad our defense is?

4. Travis Johnson was a joke since we passed Derrick Johnson. Why teams pass impact players to supposedly fill a need is baffling, but teams do it all the time. CC Brown again see Glenn Earls.

Do you realize that Mr. Casserly passed up drafting 11 players who started for the Pittsburg Steelers in the Super Bowl? That's right, we drafted before them 11 times and they out drafted us. Did you know that out of 35 draft picks in 4 drafts we have 2 impact players on the team- AJ and DRob.
    Do you see that we have not signed one significant free agent play maker in 4 seasons of throwing money around.

Let me best illustrate it this way-
    T. Hollings (lost pick)
    S. Wand
    P Buchanan (lost picks)
    Babin (lost picks)
    Gaffney
    Weary
    Hill
    Joppru
    Ragone
    Morency
    6 first day picks traded away

That means 16 out of the franchises 21 first day selections (rd.1-3) in its first 4 drafts have been wasted picks.

You compare that to the better teams and we have built ourselves a 2-14 roster in the short space of 4 seasons.

Yes, Fagio wanted Babin. We don't know for sure about Buchanon, but Casserly was on the radio praising the trade. Anyways, if the coaches were at fault for this disaster then Casserly shouldn't have been hired. We needed a general manager not a contract negotiator.

19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, obviously. That's why he prefaced his post with "Yes CC has made his fair share of mistakes but lets give him credit where credit is do." Everyone recognizes that Casserly screwed up a lot, but he was just pointing out that he did make SOME good decisions.

20. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

I thought 'fair share' missed the marked. Give him credit implies he is due credit. Mel Kiper could have drafted better right off his board and I don't think much of Mel Kiper. I wouldn't classify SOME good decisions as justification for a horrible job. Ken Lay probably made some good decisions, even Isaiah Thomas might have made a couple of good decisions for the Knicks.

Objectively- the record speaks for itself.