1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case "Keep'um" Keenum | Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Mr. Dominant, May 9, 2014.

?

Are you all in for Case Keenum to be the starter this year?

Poll closed Sep 2, 2014.
  1. Yes

38.6%
  2. No

31.2%
  3. Maybe

19.8%
  4. I don't care what the Texans do this year

8.0%
  5. I have given up on the Texans for all eternity

2.5%
  1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

His team? Didn't he have 2 interceptions and throw an ungodly amount of passes? Sounds like he self destructed.

2. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Cool. Thanks for that. I don't follow NCAA

3. Poloshirtbandit

It was a group effort. Receivers were dropping and/or tripping on basic screen passes.

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

I had a scarier dream that the Texans cut him and he became the next elite QB and won several super bowls.

5. Brando2101

Recievers dropped 26 passes?

6. heads.up

heads.up Member

If you watched the game you would know the UH defense was getting gashed all day long and couldn't get any stops. He had to throw since...you know his team was behind big...usually you throw a lot when you're trying to come back.

7. Brando2101

My note wasn't that he JUST threw a lot but that he threw a lot and didn't have enough completions. He also threw 2 interceptions and had a QB rating under 50. Stop bailing the guy out when he clearly had a bad game. His receivers didn't drop 25 passes or whatever it is.

I'm not trying to target the guy. It's just obnoxious dealing with Keenum fans who are out of touch with reality. This is what you went through with VY a few years ago or (to a lesser extent) what it is like dealing with Lin in the GARM. The guy was no where close to a Heisman and not "nearly winning the Heisman" as has been said in the thread. He was bad for the Texans last year just like the rest of the team. I'm just really blown away by the poll numbers in this board and dreading what the board will be like when he is not the starter this year.

8. Poloshirtbandit

No. I didn't say that. The whole team sucked that day, Keenum included.

9. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Keenum wasn't given a fair chance with the team out out there and a coach on his way out.

10. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Keenum's numbers were very comparable to Fitzpatricks last year. Keenum is younger and played on an underachieving team with a bad offensive line and a lame duck head coach. I would honestly rather see him start over Fitzpatrick because there is no doubt in my mind that Case has more upside potential, although Fitzpatrick is the more experienced leader. To me you keep Case and Fitzpatrick and place Savage on the practice squad. Adios TJ Yates.

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Ummmm, Fitzpatrick played for a team with a bad offensive line and for a coach who was fired too. I don't think their numbers were very comparable. Fitz had a higher completion %, yards/attempt, QB rating and QBR.

Does "upside" or "potential" (code for "inexperienced") really matter? "Potential" matters only if the team expects that player to be around is a few years when that "potential" is realized. Can anybody really say with any degree of certainty that Case will still be here in 2 years? 1 year? I'm sorry, but none of these guys scream potential long term starter. And "potential" doesn't really matter if you're not seen as a franchise guy. Whoever starts this year, the Texans are still going to be looking elsewhere for that franchise QB. The starting job is a temporary one at best. What matters now is who can play better THIS year because none of them (with the exception of Savage) is even guaranteed a roster spot in 2016. Most likely the Texans will spend a high pick on a QB next year looking for that franchise player which would mean a QB who's on the roster this year won't be brought back next year.

If Case is going to win the starting job, let alone win a roster spot, it's going to be based on skill, not potential. Besides, Savage has more potential than Case. IF the Texas were to start a QB based on potential, it would probably be him.

Regarding Savage, there's no way he's going on the practice squad. A player on the PS can be signed away by another team. The Texans didn't spend a 4th rounder on a QB just to expose him to being stolen by another team. Case fans should know this. One of the reasons Case made the active roster despite starting off as 3rd string was because the Texans didn't want to chance another teams signing him away. I doubt the Texans would carry 3 QBs on the 45 man game day roster, but it's almost guaranteed that they will on the 53 man roster.

#131 Cannonball, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  12. Victorious

Victorious Member

They will definitely carry 3 QBs going into the season. Especially how OB talks about how he prefers rookies to learn the ropes than to be thrown right in there.

It honestly sounds like its Fitzpatrick's job to lose.

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

One thing is for sure, if OBrien cuts Kennum or even puts him on the practice squad, he is going to begin his tenure with a good amount of ill will from local fans. Fair or unfair that is a lock. And if he comes out of the gate losing several games in a row, it will get much worse. On the other hand, winning heals all wounds.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

When Case gets released he'll likely do really well in arena football, so it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

15. Poloshirtbandit

That's not how practice squad works.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

LOL. Putting your 4th round pick on the practice squad = Adios Tom Savage.

17. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Case Keenum 2013 is the sequel to Bucky Richardson 1994. Same age, similar results, local college star who improbably got an extended chance to start on a team that cratered from the previous season. Except nobody was touting Bucky's "upside" after that year.

18. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you are severely overrating the vast majority of people's love for Case. It was cute while it lasted last year, but that ship has sailed.

19. Remii

Remii Member

QUOTE=Cannonball;9013817]Ummmm, Fitzpatrick played for a team with a bad offensive line and for a coach who was fired too. I don't think their numbers were very comparable. Fitz had a higher completion %, yards/attempt, QB rating and QBR.[/QUOTE]

You're forgetting the fact that Fitzpatrick also had a better receiving core and running back core which arguably had more to do with Fitzpatrick having higher completion percentages, etc. He had more offensive weapons at his disposal than Case had.

Also Tennessee had a winning record before Fitzpatrick took over.

But that doesn't mean O'Brien will keep Case.

20. Brando2101

[​IMG]