1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case "Keep'um" Keenum | Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Mr. Dominant, May 9, 2014.

?

Are you all in for Case Keenum to be the starter this year?

Poll closed Sep 2, 2014.
  1. Yes

38.6%
  2. No

31.2%
  3. Maybe

19.8%
  4. I don't care what the Texans do this year

8.0%
  5. I have given up on the Texans for all eternity

2.5%
  1. Win

Win Contributing Member

Given the Texans did not take a QB in the first 2 rounds, I fully expect Case to be the starter; unless a trade for a highly regarded QB takes place before this season. I have to doubt that trade is coming. The Texans will be content to let the team jell and/or the perfect situation to arise before they make a future QB move.

That said, Case will have to show great (not just good) improvement to keep the inevitable future QB move to be made.

2. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Of course he will have a few good plays but he was awful for most of the season and deserves a lot of the blame for the offense. Hometown bias maybe. Or possibly desperation. I feel like no QB is the starter going into training camp.

1 person likes this.
  3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

may the best man win

I think Fitz starts, Case and TJ battle for back-up and Savage hold the clipboard for a year

next year it will be a battle between Savage and Mariotta, and Fitz is the back-up

4. Lin On Me

Lin On Me Member

Interesting thoughts. I would think if anything, TJ is gone/released/fired first.

5. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

Same here.

Must be a lot of UH homers on this board for some reason, because if people were unbiased, no way there would be that many yes votes.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He will certainly get a chance.

This a new system, new regime. If he outperforms Fitzpatrick, I'm perfectly fine with him starting, but he is guaranteed nothing.

7. Progs

Progs Member

or he's just the best available option unless Fitz absolutely tears it up during camp.

8. furyn

furyn Member

Case was good when given lots of time to throw to a hall of fame receiver who had broken open going deep. He got mauled in every other situation. There's a reason the team went back to Schaub when they needed a spark offensively. Case showed he was incapable of making quick decisions with the ball. That's kind of a problem.

9. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Why are you so shocked? The guy did pretty good with what he had last year(no Arian Foster, Injured Ben Tate, Derrick Newton, and Kubiaks predictable offense).

10. Poloshirtbandit

Why? This isn't a Super Bowl or Bust season like last year was supposed to be. Worst that happens is we find out that Case isn't a good QB and we're in position to draft a good one next year. Would be a great story if he does work out. He at least deserves a chance in preseason. If he stinks it up in preseason I'll be ready to move on.

11. platypus

platypus Member

If he wins the Job, yes. If not, no.

12. Brando2101

He didn't do pretty good. I don't doubt those factors made it hard but let's not ignore the obvious that he did not do well. Saying he didn't have much to work with is not the same as that he did well. Nothing about last year was good.

He goes into training camp with as much of a chance as anyone else to make the team. Nothing more. I certainly don't feel great about having him as the starting QB.

13. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Thrown into a hopeless situation where the half the team was injured and the other half quit, Keenum had a passer rating higher than Joe Flacco, Eli Manning, & Christian Ponder, among others. That's pretty amazing for an undrafted player.

There is every reason to believe that given some semblance of a running game and offensive line, that Keenum can provide some amazing QB play.

14. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The Texans wont admit it, but I think they were stunned by the move that Minnesota pulled on them at the end of round 1. In fact I can guarantee that they wouldve picked Bridgewater with 2.1. And to continue to troll on the Texans QB wish list, NE went and grabbed Garappolo in the 2nd round 2 picks before the Texans. Tom Savage might have been a shrewd draft pick in the late 4th round, but the Texans are truly gambling on the QB.

Keenum was 0-8 last season. And if it werent for him, we wouldnt have had the #1 pick (it wouldve been the Rams via Washington). In my assessment of how the season finished off, I think we still have much to see from Keenum, when he is surrounded by a full cast of offensive weapons. Think he could be better, but is he really the long term answer??? We shall see this offseason if he can challenge Fitzpatrick for the starting gig...

15. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I think BoB will give Keenum a fair shake just like the rest of the QBs. I do wonder what Case could do with some more time in the pocket.

But more then likely around this time next year QB will still be a position we need to address

16. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He'll have a fair shot and I obviously wish him the best, but I'll be shocked if he wins the job over Fitzpatrick. It's like the echo chamber around here convinced everyone that Fitzpatrick was this terrible QB. The guy had a solid year for Tennessee, and I'm on the record saying that I wanted him over the Sanchez/Vick/Freeman crap heap that was available this summer.

17. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

I think Fitzpatrick will be under center come Week 1.

18. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

Keenum had flashes of great quarterback mixed with some ill informed scrambling when the pocket broke. I think that he should have just as much of a chance as the others. If one stands out above the others, start them because all our qb's are meh.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Even Tebow showed flashes. You have to be consistent in this league.

20. Brando2101

Keenum was 27th in the league in passer rating. You REALLY want to go there? I can't say that everyone who loves him has a hometown bias but it really really strikes me as odd that there could be this much support.

Keenum can be better with a better line and RB? I agree. Every QB can. Please no more, "He didn't have good players around him." I get it. I agree. That does not make him good. I just means he didn't have help and we might not know what he can be capable of.

Throw him with the rest of them.