1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case "Keep'um" Keenum | Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Mr. Dominant, May 9, 2014.

?

Are you all in for Case Keenum to be the starter this year?

Poll closed Sep 2, 2014.
  1. Yes

38.6%
  2. No

31.2%
  3. Maybe

19.8%
  4. I don't care what the Texans do this year

8.0%
  5. I have given up on the Texans for all eternity

2.5%
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Most of his passes are of the weak and wobbly variety, just in the last game alone he threw the exact pass that resulted in most of Schaub's pick 6's, and he threw it exactly like Schaub did only the defender was a split second late so it turned into the longest positive play on offense while Fitz was out there. I honestly don't know how anyone could look at the actual passes he's making and have any confidence in his ability to not get picked off a dozen or more times this season.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Have you missed the throws where he's lasered it into tight coverage? He's more than capable. If he had consistency, he'd be a top QB, but his inconsistencies are why he'd struggle to be top 20. In any case, he's not horrible all the time, not even close...and he's by far the best QB on the team, even though that might not be saying much.

3. sabesque

sabesque Member

Not disagreeing that he's the most capable option we have at QB... I struggle with the idea that Fitz is going to be anything other than what he's shown in his 8 yr NFL career. Truth is we're looking at mediocrity with him at the QB.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I just don't know where your faith in him comes from, sure he's made maybe 2 or 3 good passes all preseason long, but that's not enough to overcome that most of his passes look terrible.

Also, I'm not saying "terrible" as some kind of over the top rhetoric, I honestly don't think there is a better way of describing the fluttery weak passes he throws that hang in the air seemingly forever just begging to get picked off.

5. rezdawg

And mediocrity should get us 8-9 wins if all else falls into place like it should. We have a ridiculously easy schedule, we are favored in 8 of our first 16 games, with 3 of those being "pick em". And week 17, we will be favored against the Jags. We don't need a superstar at QB for this season, but with very average QB play, we can make a playoff push. The only QB on the roster than is capable of mediocre play is Fitz.

6. mick fry

mick fry Member

I dont think this is a ringing endorsement for Fitz, it sounds like he wants somebody to step up and be the man. >>>>>>> Three may not necessarily be a crowd in the Texans quarterback meeting room.

"I would say more than likely there will be three quarterbacks on the roster to start the season," head coach Bill O'Brien said Tuesday.

League-wide roster cuts are underway with teams trimming down to 53 players by August 30. The trio of Ryan Fitzpatrick, Case Keenum and Tom Savage look to be safe and will "more than likely" be the three on the Texans roster, according to O'Brien.

After working all offseason to learn a complex offense and undergoing a long, arduous playbook install, the three quarterbacks have all made consistent progress. While Fitzpatrick, Keenum, and Savage are all at different points in their careers and in their grasp of the system, O'Brien values the work the trio has put into learning his offense.

"All three of these guys have an understanding of the system," O'Brien said. "They've all had their share of decent moments. Like all of us, they've had their share of not so good moments. But they've improved every week, and so you definitely take that into account. You also take into account that you're always going to try to do whatever is best for the football team because you owe that to the other 53, 52 guys or however many it is. You do what's best for the team, but at the end of the day these three guys certainly, you take that into account that they've put a lot of work in."

Keenum, who will start on Thursday, will share a bulk of the reps with Savage in the preseason finale against San Francisco.

7. htown1984

htown1984 Member

I have a question for you experts.. what does it mean when the Texans have the
    first dibs on Waiver Claim? does that mean on every player? or only one of all the waived players on Saturday? for Example if Mallett gets cut, the texans can snatch him up, but if they do are they still in front of the line? How does this work?

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not positive, but I do not think the Texans go to the back of the line. I think they get first pick on every player waived for three weeks.

9. rezdawg

My understanding is that once you get a player off waivers, then you go to the back of the line. It would be ridiculously unfair for a team to remain #1 in priority regardless of number of players added through waivers.

You add a player and move to #32 on the priority...then slowly creep back up the line as other teams add players.

10. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

This has been my impression as well. Texans get first dibs on everybody.

I've thought that too, but none of the talk radio guys talk as if we only get to use that #1 priority slot once. The Chiefs nabbed 7 players off waivers last year. Don't know if it was all because of priority but it makes sense. Also, I've yet to find anything on the internet that says whoever claims a player off waivers goes to the back of the line. The only thing I've seen regarding the order is that it's initially set by last years record and then it resets after 3 weeks of the regular season to reflect the current standings. Still looking for more info though.

#390 Cannonball, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Waiver priority does not reset when you make a claim. It's just like the baseball waiver system.

12. htown1984

htown1984 Member

I would think they stay on top of the line through all players waived..
    Its not like there going to get 53 waived players..

I think KC got like 13 waived players or something like this. I would say because they were on top of the line when each player was waived..

I havent been able to find anything regarding this.. Hope someone can clarify

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm clarifying it for you. It doesn't change. Texans maintain the top spot on the waiver priority until the 3rd week on the NFL season concludes, at which point the waiver priority is recalculated based on the 2014 standings at that time. Making a waiver claim does NOT move a team to the back of the line.

Edit: Specifically, in case anyone is wondering, the Texans have already made waiver claims as far back as May without losing the top spot.

14. htown1984

htown1984 Member

will be a big weekend for Texans than :)

15. sabesque

sabesque Member

So, assuming that things go exactly as they should with no injuries we have a chance to be a mediocre team. Best of the best case scenarios we sneak into the playoffs.

In the mean time our star running back and wide reciever are looking at the end of their careers.

I dont know. Maybe this season is about confidence and momentum. Show that our defense is elite, use a net positive (but mediocre) season as proof that this is (still) a rising francishe and draw in some talent to make a serious run. In that case Fitz is about being competent and nothing else. You cant guarantee competence with the other two.

16. rezdawg

Fitz is definitely a filler...hopefully the Texans can use a first rounder next year if they think Savage doesn't have the capability by then.

As far as the waiver stuff, I'm excited that I was dead wrong. That's ****ing awesome, we should be able to add some incredible depth. It feels like cheating.

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Texans waive quarterback Case Keenum</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/506140804898127873" data-datetime="2014-08-31T18:05:46+00:00">August 31, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Delivered the Texans Jadeveon Clowney, forever grateful! :p

In all seriousness, best of luck to him in his future.

19. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Clearly Kubiak's fault. Good luck dude. Hope you find a team.

20. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Keenum's not an NFL QB. May end up in arena football, CFL or coaching gig. Best of success to him.