1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case "Keep'um" Keenum | Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Mr. Dominant, May 9, 2014.

?

Are you all in for Case Keenum to be the starter this year?

Poll closed Sep 2, 2014.
  1. Yes

38.6%
  2. No

31.2%
  3. Maybe

19.8%
  4. I don't care what the Texans do this year

8.0%
  5. I have given up on the Texans for all eternity

2.5%
  1. mick fry

mick fry Member

Why not? Everybody is piling on him for not performing with non starters on his on side. QB's throw to spots and if your reciever isnt where he should be then the QB gets the blame. Im not saying Keenum is the future just the best we have now, I may change my mind after thursday if Savage impresses more.

2. Progs

Progs Member

Betting Case has a monster 1st half. Just a feeling. :cool:

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Depends on the O line more than anything. If they give him at least 3 seconds before he gets hit, I think he'll be fine.

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

This may be Keenum's last chance to "put it together." He has really impressed at times only to sputter out later. He needs a complete performance. I think he is on the bubble. However, Savage is not ready, Fitz is a marginal player and could get hurt, so cutting Keenum would be a risk. There might be surprises on the waiver wire. Not likely, but possible. I am surprised the Texans have not solidified the QB position to a greater degree, but I am not sure what they could have done. Another vet would be nice.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

It would seem to me that if QB is one of the weaker positions on the team, which it most definitely is, then you keep all 3. Having watched a full year of Fitzpatrick as a Titan's fan, he's the one who should be cut here. I see him at best going 5-11. There's nothing to gain from that.

6. solid

I agree with you completely. IMO, Keenum or Savage have a golden opportunity to seize the starting position if they can prove they are up to it. Fitz appears very marginal to me.

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

If team remains relatively healthy, 9 wins with Fitz...5 or less with the other two.

8. sabesque

sabesque Member

Dude is raw. Undrafted, practice sqaud, then thrown into last year's situation. I think people forget that and unfairly grade him since he started in 8 games last season.

But he was still a project at the start of last year. You need an elite QB to be able to mask a lot of our problems from last season. Imagine throwing next-year's Tom Savage into last year's situation.

Based on where he is in his development, isn't being kept on as one of three quarterbacks a bad thing for Keenum, long term? They wouldn't be keeping Keenum in case he needs to step in if Fitz doesn't pan out. On the other hand, he's not their project or backup of the future, because that's Savage.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's interesting IMO Fitz is the worst QB on the roster. If you look at his performances so far in pre-season, even when a pass happens to be completed, it looks pretty terrible and often should have been picked off. I think either of the other two QB's would be a pretty big improvement.

10. solid

I wonder if they realize what a great opportunity they have if they can perform at a higher level. They have one more chance to show their stuff. I am with you on your observation that both are "potentially" better. Realistically, Fitz could be holding the clip board again.

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think this is a pretty crazy prediction

I think all 3 quarterbacks on the roster right now are interchangeable. Doesn't matter who starts' I say 5-6 wins regardless.

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Case is 26 years old. He spent 6 years in college and is in his 3rd year as a pro. How long does someone get to use the "raw" or "potential" excuse? I get it that he hasn't played a lot in the NFL, but Brandon Weeden and Chris Weinke had no experience when they were drafted. They didn't exactly have much "potential" and people knew they wouldn't really grow much in the league. And they didn't.

I wouldn't consider Keenum "raw". I don't know what the record is but it's hard to imagine that many QBs have played more college football than Case. There are a few reasons why he wasn't drafted. Undersized, no outstanding physical traits, level of competition, questions of being able to transition to a pro style offense. Some players don't get drafted (or get drafted lower) because scouts don't think they've already reached their potential. And I think that happened with Case.

Compare him to Savage. Case played a lot of college football, Savage didn't. Savage has impressive physical tools and size, Case doesn't. I think it would be fair to say that Savage is "raw" or has "potential". I'm not sure the same can be said of Case. That said, Savage is 24. He doesn't have much time before he can't rely on "potential" as a reason for justifying his place in the NFL either.

I don't know. Maybe you can still be raw at 26, but how much longer can you use that line? If we're not at that point, we're close. Can you be a raw QB at 27 or 28? Would that even be a good thing to be that old and still undeveloped?

13. Buck Turgidson

The Rochester Ravens?

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The Baltimore Battlefighters.

15. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

No way case Keemun is better than Fitz.

I don't think Fitz is great at all but he's so much better than case. IMO out of all 3 he's looked hands down the worst this preseason. Savages 2 min games winner was nice it showed his potential, iv yet to see case do anything of such and he's had 8 starts and 3 preseason to show his stuff.

We know what Fitz is, he's a game manager who can get to trigger happy at times because he still likes to make big throws. If the defense is great this yr theirs no doubt he gives us the best chance to win. 7-9 games this yr. And who knows maybe that squeaks in the playoffs this yr. Most likely no but it boosts the moral of the team and gives us direction.

No matter what it's looking like we might have the best qb in our division for the next. 10 in Luck and brotles looks like the real deal and a potential franchise qb. It's safe to say maybe the texans did the right thing long term drafting clowney to pair with watt. With those two your Helios get elite pass rushing from both for the next 6-8 yrs barring injury. We're gonna need that pass rush more than anything including qb to beat those 2.

We just need to go find our flacco. Sure id love a Andrew luck but I don't think we're getting a top 5 qb anytime soon. But I'll take 10-12 range qb and with a solid pass rush we should be able to win some football games and maybe sneak to a Super Bowl in the next 6-8 yrs. that's a realistic approach. It's sucks for guys like Dre and foster cause they won't be around by then but the fore really is jj watt and clowney from this day moving forward.

16. robroy77

robroy77 Contributing Member

The reality is that Savage was O'Briens choice. He will be the backup and by midseason will be a real option to get playing time is Fitzy isnt performing well. Keenum will probably never be a starter in the league. He already has happy feet in the pocket and just doesnt read the defense fast enough to keep the play on schedule. That extra beat of time is leading to him getting sacked or hit a lot. Cutting Case will suck as a Cougars and Texans fan, but he has the work ethic and tools to be another version of Kellen Clemens. A career backup that is never out of a job.

17. sabesque

sabesque Member

I'm not one of those Keenum stans who thinks he's got a good shot at becoming an elite quarterback, or even an average starter. But I don't think the book is written on him as of yet.

I just think that QB, of any position, calls for some development and understudy. And I don't think that changes just because he was older. He's hasn't gotten that development and people who think they've seen his potential cite his season last year that would have been difficult for most starters in the league.

18. rezdawg

I think Fitz will keep his turnovers under control with BOB. He's way more experienced than any of the other two, plus, he's actually thrown for 23+ TDs in multiple seasons in the nfl on less talented teams, with inferior coaching as well. There must definitely be something to be said for that. These guys are absolutely not interchangeable. Fitz is by far he best QB of the bunch. Not saying he's a good qb...but the other two are awful, although I like the direction Savage is going in. Keenum is a career back up.

I think Fitz can be a top 20 QB, which would be good enough for 9 wins with the rest of the roster being healthy.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Have you watched him this preseason? Almost every one of his passes could have been and likely should have been picked off. Sure luck has gone his way quite a bit, but he's looked just awful if you are looking at more than just raw results.

20. rezdawg

This is a time for him to try passing into different coverages and get a feel for his capabilities within the offense. I've seen some very strong throws from him into tight coverage...something this team has never had the capability of doing. In my opinion, he's looked better in the preseason games than many have given him credit for...it's like people want to find a reason for him to suck...like, "he's been so lucky not getting picked off"...sure, maybe a couple times, but let's not act like every throw has been terrible bc it hasn't. Also, he's been great with his legs, which will be a nice boost from previous years.