1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case "Keep'um" Keenum | Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Mr. Dominant, May 9, 2014.

?

Are you all in for Case Keenum to be the starter this year?

Poll closed Sep 2, 2014.
  1. Yes

38.6%
  2. No

31.2%
  3. Maybe

19.8%
  4. I don't care what the Texans do this year

8.0%
  5. I have given up on the Texans for all eternity

2.5%
  1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think they are all "not good enough." Any one or all 3 of them could be cut and I think it would have almost no impact on this team. I don't think any of them have separated themselves into even an nil roster quality qb.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

CFL? - Build up a Rep? and come back to the league?

Rocket River

3. mick fry

mick fry Member

Brett Favre?

4. sabesque

sabesque Member

When I enrolled at UH (2001), our football team was 0-11. Houston didn't have a pro football team then or a winning pro football team until 2007, which is also when Keenum started playing for U of H.

I can say that without hyperbole that my most exciting times watching football at any level were the years when Keenum was the QB at U of H. He was just electric and so much fun to watch. And he lead UH to heights that our program has never achieved before. Now U of H will be taking the field on a brand new stadium and he was a big part of making that possible. He is a rightfully a cougar legend.

I wish people would understand that and realize that there is a difference between rooting for Keenum's success (which I will do until he decides to hang them up) vs thinking that he's the already the answer (which, clearly he's not). If it's not going to work out in Houston, I hope he gets a good chance to develop somewhere else.

2 people like this.
  5. solid

solid Contributing Member

My feelings precisely. Yes, he still has a learning curve, but some situations are simply a better fit than others. I think this may not be the best situation for him and I hope he goes somewhere else. Here, he is a leftover. Fitzpatrick and Savage are OBrien's picks. Frankly, Case has shown flashes of serious talent, but, overall, his tenure with the Texans has been disappointing. He had chances last night for the "go ahead" drive, but just fizzled. It is like real success just keeps slipping from his grasp. Oh so close, but can't overcome those critical mistakes.

6. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

LOL, last year, people wanted soo bad Case Keenum to start, and everyone was so happy he was going to play, even some people consider him the next QB franchise of the texans, and now, most of the people are against him.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Last year, everyone wanted him to play because 1) Schaub blew chimps, 2) we had never seen Keenum play and 3) we had nothing to lose.

After seeing him play, most people figured out why we went undrafted and we've seen enough.

It's really not that complicated. Has nothing to do with people hating him or turning on him.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Toward the end of last year I was softening on Schaub a bit because
    I started heeping more blame on Kubiak and his predictable dink and dunk ass offense

So I was hope Keenum would get a shot in a real offense.
    I cannot say BO'B's offense is stretching the field much either

Rocket River

9. Buck Turgidson

Um, no.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's the next Kurt Warner

11. sabesque

sabesque Member

Although your point is well articulated, the 2011 team was UH's best regular season record and only undefeated regular season. Case broke tons of NCAA passer records that year.

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Check out the 70s.

13. Buck Turgidson

Exactly, they were an actual nationally-relevant team. Heck, even in the Pardee years they were in a big-boy conference and dominated for a bit.

14. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

C-USA isn't exactly the same caliber as the old SWC.

I'm happy UH has had a resurgence over the last decade, but it's not the best they've ever been.

15. sabesque

sabesque Member

Agree that it would be short-sighted to overlook those Yeoman and Pardee era teams that were so good.

But to be fair, I didn't say the 2011 team was the best ever. I probably could have phrased "and he lead UH to heights that our program has never achieved before." better - the 2011 team is a historic UH team for a lot of reasons.

16. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Any chance the Texans look to trade Keenum...say to a team like STL??? And what could be his worth?

(BTW: BOB has stated that there is a strong possibility that we carry 3 QB's...If Keenum gets moved, its because Mallet becomes available.)

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I can't imagine why anyone would want to trade for Keenum. At least Yates had a couple of big wins (regular season and playoff) under his belt.

18. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

If NE can't get anything for Mallett, how can we expect anything for Case? I don't really see a market for Case.

Right now, we'd carry 3 because Savage isn't going anywhere and he's currently 3rd on the depth chart. That's where the "strong possibility" comes from. Yes, if the Texans bring in another QB like Mallett then we'd cut Case and still have 3 QBs. But if Savage simply passes Case on the depth chart, we'd likely cut Case and only have 2. While some other things may come into play, whether we carry 2 or 3 QBs hinges mostly on whether Savage is ready to assume backup duties or not.

19. htown1984

htown1984 Member

is there a reason we havent cut 3 more players to get to the 75? Possible trade where we get Mallett and let go Keenum holding this up?

what you think?

20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

We are going in with three. I don't see OB throwing Savage out there unless the season is done. Its either Keenum or a veteran as the #2