1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case Keenum's 2 sack fumbles, area of concern?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Angkor Wat, Oct 22, 2013.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Why not? Did you only watch the Texans when you thought they were a playoff team? If so, that's on you, not me.

I'm negative on their playoff chances, but still want to see some players play.

That sort of thinking is ridiculous. Schaub's struggles are not the reason the Texans lost 5 games.

Let's be really optimistic. The Texans sweep the "cream puffs" on their own schedule (Oak, Jax x2, Titans (lol) and Cardinals.) That's 5 wins.

Now you are at 7-5. Can you go 2-2 against Colts x2, New England and Denver? That's a tough task.

If you cough it up just one time against one of those cream puff teams your season is basically over, or if the Colts manage to not struggle and get to 10-6 it's almost impossible as well.

2. justtxyank

After the bye, the Texans get the Colts (home) Cardinals (away) and then Raiders and Jags at home. Each of those games is a 1 game elimination basically. If they go 4-0 out of the bye then we can start worrying about playoffs again.

Of course, in my mind, the WORST thing that can happen is the team manages to scratch its way to 9-7 and make the playoffs. That guarantees no changes to this coaching staff, a middling draft pick and probably no QB taken in Rd 1.

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I see your points, and I agree with a lot of what you said. The Texans are at the point that if they are going to make the playoffs, unrealistic optimist like myself have to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

With Keenum at QB, you beat Seattle,SD,Tenn,Baltimore, and St Louis.
    Schaub's play sucked the life out of our team. It was obvious, and Kubiak even made many references that this team lacked a heart beat.

I think if Keenum plays as well as he did against KC the rest of the way, this team loses two games from here on out. Now this is assuming our defense learned something last year playing without Cush, and that the special teams will play better.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If Case can lead this team to a 7-2 finish and a playoff berth, I don't think we need to worry about taking a QB in the first round.

No, I didn't go to UH. :)

5. tmacfor35

9-7 gives this team a new season, a new belief, and new legs.

If Kubiak rights the ship after this start, then he deserves to be the coach. Get rid of Marciano, get rid of Matt Schaub, and draft an ILB/RT as your first rounder.

This team showed life against KC, and it was apparent that they could have beaten KC with Foster in the lineup. I still see a chance.

6. justtxyank

There's no way to know this.

Keenum did not play lights out against KC. He played well for a rookie making his first start in the NFL.

How will he play when teams have tape on him? When the adrenaline wears off?

What if Sunday is the best game he'll ever have as a pro? That's not far fetched. Lots of guys come in and make a start where they blow people away and then never succeed after that.

The idea that Keenum as starter automatically flips some losses into wins is bogus. For all the talk of Schaub turtling when he gets hit, Keenum's lack of doing so resulted in two fumbles on Sunday. What if Keenum only threw two pick 6s this season (reasonable for a rookie) but also coughed the ball up on another 3 fumbles?

7. justtxyank

7-2 against the schedule we have left is not a world beater pace. Like I said, 5 of those games are ones that should be checked off as victories before you ever play on Sunday.

The bigger issue to me is that the Kubiak regime's biggest claim to fame was building a team that could win the division twice when there was not a single established QB in the division that didn't play for your team. His offense has never been dynamic, the team building has never been special, the salary cap management has always been bad, the draft has always been spotty, the coaching staff has always had big weaknesses...

9-7 and a playoff birth for this team is like the Rockets being the last team out of the playoffs.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm the most tenured UH fan on this BBS, and even I think that's bunk.

Schaub played, for the most part, winning football vs SD, TEN, and SEA.

He had critical errors, but he was in large part a reason why we were in a position to win those games in the first place.

I doubt that Keenum could've done better in his place in those games, and there is no way in hell Keenum is worth 25+ points @ BAL or vs STL.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

Close.

Fans are excited for a new season. Team looks good! Deep playoff run is in the making!

Texans go on their annual four-game losing streak.

Team finishes strong, finishing .500 or game over on the season, many proclaim next year is the year!

Status quo, 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 is the last thing this team needs.

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Not according to DonnyMost...

This is one of the reasons I was always dubious of Yates' stretch in 2011 - he fumbled *a lot* in addition to throwing INTs (and near INTs).

Chuck Pagano is going to have an extra week to figure out how to dictate the game to Case Keenum; I'm hopeful but fear a significant beatdown and a lot of falling debris from the Keenum wank this week as it crashes back to earth. And that sucks because if they lose that game... bye-bye SNF in 2014.... We become NFL after-thoughts again.

11. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Please don't try to put words in my mouth while I'm eating lunch. It's just rude. :cool:

12. tmacfor35

I don't think that Keenum is just that much epically better than Matt. Not a chance. But Matt isn't Matt this year. He is throwing the ball on average 6 yards per throw! He has been sporting the other team 7 Points consistently. The offense is so stagnant because the field has not opened up. How can it when you don't throw the deep ball?

If Foster is in the game, the Texans beat KC. Its not a what if, its a for sure thing. I am pretty high on Case, because he makes quick decisions, and scans the field at all times.

13. tmacfor35

I think Schaubs poor play reflected on bad field position, free points, and low morale. The defense leads the league in yards, yet gives up all these points.

Best game as a pro? I doubt it. But you could be correct.

14. justtxyank

Schaub was actually at 6.7 yards per attempt.

Do you know who is lower? Tom Brady at 6.0

Schaub was having a historically bad start for himself, but I'm not about to say that Keenum would absolutely have produced significantly different results.

15. justtxyank

I'd love to put all the blame on Schaub. It would make me a lot more optimistic.

But...

this defense has been bad since the second half of last season, and struggled before that against really good teams.

The truth is, this defense was only REALLY good for a stretch that includes two years ago where they played a really bad schedule all year in terms of QBs and then part of a schedule last year that didn't include the good teams they played.

This year they've given up long touch down drives every single game. They have very little pass rush and their DBs are nothing special.

16. tmacfor35

6.7? Down from 7.9 last year. Check out Matt's stats since the beginning of November last year. Something is wrong. He has been Mark Sanchez bad.

Is it no secret that Brady is having one of his worst years since he was given the keys to the Patriots?

17. justtxyank

Yes I agree, something is wrong with Matt. There's no denying that. The results are terrible.

I'm just not going to guarantee that Case Keenum would have been significantly better this year.

Maybe, maybe not.

18. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Against KC, I can almost guarantee Matt would have sucked donkeyballs compared to Keenum. Their strengths and weaknesses get amplified by certain matchups. KC was definitely a bad draw for Schaub. Hali would have practically decapitated him.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

There were most definitely plays made by Keenum extending the play with his legs that there is simply no way in the world that Schaub would have made.

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Thats what happens when you don't have your 2 best TE and one of your WR from last year. I think they should have just paid off the cops so they could play Hernandez.