1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case Keenum's 2 sack fumbles, area of concern?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Angkor Wat, Oct 22, 2013.

1. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

I had us going 10-6 before losing to the Rams. I don;t think we are at a position to call anything a cakewalk.

1 person likes this.
  2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

What in the world gives you any indication we have a shot to beat the Colts?

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

At home. Keenum is your qb. Colts d is bottom half in the league.

My indication is that talent will shine at some point.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Even if he had just stayed between the hashes, that would have bought him an extra second which is all you need to throw the ball away. Problem was that no QB expects the DE rushing from the right side to all the sudden come barreling at you from behind and to the left. That was a crazy play.

I don't think any of this is something to be 'concerned' about right now, given that Case was playing in his first NFL game EVER. The rest of this lost season should be on-the-job training for him, IMO.

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

It's hard to be optimistic in the midst of a 5 game losing streak, but at the risk of sounding like a blind homer (which I am not)...

We could very easily be 4-3 right now. I'm not saying we should be, but what I am saying is that we have a decent shot to beat the Colts because we aren't necessarily as bad as our 2-5 record says we are.

I think Keenum is the shot in the arm the offense needed which should make us at least competitive again consistently. Unfortunately, we're probably poised for an 8-8 season which might save Kubiak's job.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I thought we had a legit chance to beat the Chiefs (weakness vs. strength). I'm not as hopeful against the Colts, especially considering the division is pretty much decided already. Had we beat the Chiefs, this game would be pivotal. But now, it's basically a speed bump for the Colts and a massive hurdle for the Texans' slim wildcard hopes.

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I wouldn't blame Newton if this was the only game he was getting beat by his man. He gets beat by him man multiple times every game. He doesn't know his own snap count. And on the off chance he puts in some semblance of effort its a holding call because he has no physical talent whatsoever.

He's the biggest bum on this team.

8. Do_Not_Be_Alarm

No idea what Colts team shows up on Sunday so I'm not writing us off. Remember the Colts have lost to San Diego and Miami this year.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

even if we turn out 6-5, we would get owned by the pats, then have to play Indianapolis in Indy, where we will lose as well, then face Denver at home. Even if we completely turn it around, I see 9-7 at best.

Pats are having a down year, but Tom Brady and Bill Belichick could beat the Texans and Wade Phillips in their sleep. We always lose in Indianapolis, we even lost in 2011 when they were the worst team in the NFL...and Denver is going to be a tough game no matter what.

10. tmacfor35

Crazier things have happened.

I think by the time the Patriots game comes around, the Texans will be rolling.

They are the Patriots yes, but they have not looked themselves . The Colts have lost to Miami and San Diego. They are due another bad game.

11. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

That's about the size of it. 9-7 is our realistic ceiling. 9-7 is not going to get you a wildcard spot this year. That's the saddest part. In a down AFC year, that might have cut it. Not this year, though. How awful is it to be 7 weeks into the season and already almost eliminated?

12. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

We did not have a 3rd RB dressed, so when Tate got hurt, Andy Reid knew he could start blitzing like crazy with no repercussions. I realize Tate came back in, but he was obviously still hurt. Kubiak should of realized this and gotten Keenum to move around more (roll-outs and what not).

Point being, not Keenum's fault he got sacked.

13. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

If a team gets hot they can become very scary regardless of the level of the competition. That said I do believe Houston can get hot and turn this season around, but that requires a coach that has more balls and willing to take chances. What's the point in playing conservative when we're 2-5? Sometimes kubes decisions baffles me, no logic.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

For the first time in a while, it's going to be easier to make the playoffs by winning the division than it is to get a wildcard.

The best we can hope for is a monumental collapse by the colts. And seeing as how they already have wins over the broncos, seahawks and 49ers, I don't see that happening. Even if we sweep them (yeah, right) we still have to make up another game somewhere.

So we're pretty much screwed.

15. tmacfor35

It sucks Donny, but this season will prove to be as entertaining as last years.

Was this team going to win a super bowl with Matt Schaub at the helm? This season has once again become entertaining. Case Keenum shows promise. He may be the future. And if he isn't, a new era of Texans football will begin.

16. tmacfor35

Get off the Colts.

They have lost to Miami and San Diego this year. They are capable of losing to the Texans twice and blowing another game.

17. mick fry

mick fry Member

Not until Kubuak is gone.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Get off the Texans. They have lost to Baltimore (3-4) and St Louis (3-4), both teams with losing records, worse than Miami or San Diego. Not to mention that needed a miracle to beat San Diego.

That was with a healthy Brian Cushing and Owen Daniels and Arian Foster and Ben Tate.

The Texans are not going 7-2 to finish the year. Even if they did, you'd need the Colts to go 3-5.

No playoffs for Texans this year.

19. tmacfor35

LOL
    Well, I hope you don't watch any games this year with that negative attitude.

Quarterback is our biggest concern. I took something out of Case having the kind of game he had against KC in their building. With Case starting this year, this team is at least a 5-2 ball club IMO. The Texans are more than likely not going to make it. You are correct. But they are 2 games behind the wildcard with only 2 losses in conference. They are still alive. This team is super talented. It is possible that they bring it together.

6-5 is realistic.
    That would have the Colts at 9-3 with the two teams playing once again. The Colts just lost there best receiving target by far, and have been inconsistent this year against the cream puffs of there schedule.

20. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Let's give the Texans a 9-7 record with 2 wins over the Colts, just for fun.

Now, the Colts would need to finish 9-7.

They're 5-4 with their remaining games as follows:

vs STL
    @ TEN
    @ AZ
    vs TEN
    @ CIN
    @ KC
    vs JAX

I can find 3 losses in there, sure.

However, let's say the Texans go 9-7 and split with the Colts... then things get REALLY messy. You'd have to hope that either the Colts drop a game to TEN/JAX. Otherwise you probably end up tied at the division level AND the conference level. And I'm not even sure what the tiebreakers are after that.

Bottom line: We have to hope the Texans go, at worst, 9-7, with only 1 division loss, to have even a remote shot at the playoffs... and the Colts have to poop the bed at least twice in the division. I just can't see it happening. This miracle will have to start week 9, though.