1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case Keenum's 2 sack fumbles, area of concern?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Angkor Wat, Oct 22, 2013.

1. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

That picture tells me he blocked him all the way around to the backside of the pocket. So no, that sack is not on Derek Newton.

You guys seriously need to stop crapping on everyone except Keenum as if he played a perfect game. He held onto the ball too long on quite a few plays. He missed some reads. As he should, because it's his first game. I hope he finishes out the season as our starting QB, but you superfans need to seriously stop blaming everyone else for the deficiencies he showed at times.

2. foo82

foo82 Member

This is something you can learn through experience. If you think about it, he does not have to deal with that sort of pass rush in College, nor is it something he would experience in practice. Best way to learn is through first hand experience, and judging from coaches comments, he is one that will learn from his mistakes.

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Case should be the starter. No questions asked so I don't sound like Pubiak.

No, I didn't think he got good protection. He was close to getting sack fumbled earlier in the game. The guy went right by him. He needs to be more aware of what's going on around him but that'll come in time.

Ball protection is key. Robert Mathis is coming into town, btw.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Looks like Newton pushed the guy out of the pocket, but as soon as he did that, Keenum stepped out of the pocket himself and right into his trajectory.

If Keenum would have just stepped up, he may have been able to avoid him and buy some more time.

5. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

Keenum had some growing pains, but at least he's not like Schaub who just gives us genuine pain.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Step up? Right into #50 and #92?

His only hope was to go right. But that would require something close to omniscience.

7. smr6

smr6 Member

His first one he actually got the ball tucked in as the first player wrapped him up, and then the second defender came in and put his helmet right through the ball. Just one of those perfect htis that will be a fumble more often than not.

The second one was him trying to extend a play since it was the end of the game and they were all the way on the wrong side of the field.

8. Precision340

Precision340 Member

so true... I like the fact that he tried to make plays and looked downfield instead of assuming the fetal position.. Keenum will continue to improve but I don't think we can say the same thing about Schaub.

9. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

I think the point being made is Keenum does have *some* accountability for these sacks that everyone is blaming solely on the o-line and the playcalling. Too many fans here already have tunnel vision on Keenum being the future, when the reality is he played pretty well in his first start, but made some expected mistakes... and the verdict is very much out on whether he can be an effective starting QB.

My only hope is that fan pressure to start Keenum doesn't keep us from drafting and developing a 1st round, top-flight QB prospect.

10. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

case said he saw some things he didnt recognize. the guy has the natural ability to be successful in this league. hes shown the ability to be coached so he can get better and learn to recognize these things. he was in total control of the offense early on, making pre-snap adjustments and was vocal with myers.. im really excited about the potential and im happy to say i was wrong about him. he showed some of that IT factor that people talk about. im all for naming him the starter for the remainder of the season just to see if he improves enough to consider addressing other areas in the draft, like o-line..

11. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

lol did u even watch the game?

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Rick Smith should get fired for not properly addressing right tackle.

A third rounder doesn't count.

13. Apps

Apps Member

On almost every sack in that game (at least the ones I remember), fumbles aside, the defensive player that got to Keenum got there virtually untouched. I think, unfortunately, you would have to say that a fumble wouldn't be the most unusual result of something like that. I would like to say that a larger area of concern is our O-Line, but I think our offense in general may have just been victimized by a vastly superior defense. The Chiefs are no joke defensively, and you have to give credit where credit is due.

That said, I want to see Keenum start next game so we can hopefully get a more objective view of what he can do. Going up against the Chiefs, he was bound to look bad... and didn't look that bad at all.

14. Precision340

Precision340 Member

agreed... next game against the Colts will not be a cakewalk by any stretch... they have a good defense as well... the season is pretty much over so let the kid get some experience!

15. Gertso

Gertso Member

Our O-line sucks and the QB isn't allowed to call audibles. It wasn't Keenum's fault and in earlier games it wasn't really Matt's a lot of the time either. You can't have a team stack one side of the ball, almost guaranteeing a sack, and not allow the QB to change the play. It makes no sense.

16. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

You're right, bring on Shaub! :eek:

17. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

So, Schaub gets sacked, and its Schaub's fault that he didnt move or he didnt see the defender, now that Case got sacked, people see that the O-Line sucked.

18. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Seasons not over yet.

Beat Indy and you're looking at 3 cake walks in a row.

6-5 and playing at home against the Patriots. If we lose to the Colts, seasons over.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Case may play horrible next game, I do not know. However Case was one of the only players that showed up on Sunday against the Chiefs. He played very well under the circumstances.