1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case Keenum

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by lightningferron, Apr 19, 2012.

1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

2. mastraw18

mastraw18 Member

Mike Vick, Doug Flutie( NFL starter, pro bowler), Jeff Blake (starter, pro bowler), Fran Tarkenton (9X Pro Bowl), Joe Theisman, Sonny Jurgenson

All are 6'1" or shorter all have made a pro bowl and started in the NFL. I am sure there a lot of others as well, just can't think of any more.

I understand there are exceptions to every rule, but accuracy and intelligence should be the highest rated skill in a QB.

3. mastraw18

mastraw18 Member

^^^ But with my argument, I still don't see Keenum making a huge impact in the NFL. All I'm saying is that the short argument is overused and probably unwarranted.

And I'm a huge UH fan and love Keenum, I just don't see him doing anything above average unfortunately.

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I don't really buy the accuracy of this test. Anybody with eyes can see that Keenum's arm is nowhere close to Cam Newton.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/case-keenum-7/

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Tell it to the radar gun, then.

Not that I put a lot of stock in it. You gotta get the ball from point A to point B, how fast it goes or how high it travels doesn't matter if it doesn't ultimately land where it's supposed to.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Not even close to the same. QB height is overrated in the NFL. Sure being tall helps create more passing lanes and to better see the field, but it isn't required.

Regardless, if the Texans take him it is to be the 3rd string QB, and possibly future backup if they let Schaub walk and go with Yates.

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

have to wonder about the system...

8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Case will AT MINIMUM have a long career as a backup in the NFL.

He could very well hook into the right coaches/system and prove quite a steal in this draft.

9. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

Only a few of those guys actually won anything though.

10. CCorn

CCorn Member

NY should grab him late so they can have a QB who can actually throw the ball :grin:

11. Major

Major Member

Sorry - I wasn't really commenting on the idea of height in the NFL. I was more commenting on the idea that just pointing out that Drew Brees was successful despite height as proof that it's not important is a silly argument.

12. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Hasn't played one NFL game yet, and already people say "good college QB, not a good pro."

Hilarious.

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

Too many people selling him short, let's wait and see. I say if some team with the right coaches and system gives him a chance, he will do well. He will surprise you. And I wouldn't be shocked if some of this years big QB names don't disappoint. There is a good deal of precedent for that.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, you cant just judge a player like that! That's ludicrous!!! All college athletes should be drafted #1 overall! On top of that, I should be the CEO for Deloitte, I haven't worked a day there in my life but **** it, lets shred some faxes.

15. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I'll say this, you can judge a fair amount about a player through his college career but the NFL is completely different. Everyone knew for a FACT that Vince Young was going to be an NFL superstar and lead his pro team to the promise land. Everyone also knew that Reggie Bush was gonna be a NFL superstar and lead his team to the promise land. Yeah how did those work out?

You can hypothesize all you want, but until someone gets a chance in the NFL, you never know.

Arian Foster says hi.

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

That's an awful analogy. Muggsy was 10-12 inches shorter than the average NBA PG. 1/3 of the starting QB's in the NFL are as tall as or shorter than Keenum.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Actually, plenty of people thought VY was a risk, just that he had amazing potential. But yes, the experts are often wrong.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I hated VY & Bush. Leinart too, although I would have bet on him still being a starter in the league. Bush is actually better than I thought he would be. You know what... VY is also better than I thought he would be, but not by much.

Oh, and I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong. Kentucky had a QB about 5 years ago that I thought would be a great player in the NFL but he isn't even in the league. What was his name? Oh well...

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It is refreshing not to hear Baylor and A&M grads throwing out the "system" trash talk stuff anymore.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

We just didn't elaborate enough previously, a system QB in a conference with ballerina defenses ain't gon' earn respect around these parts.