1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case Keenum, the GREAT

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by donatas, Dec 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's not able to do basic/fundamental things that all starting NFL QB's need to be able to do.... and its not because of the offensive line.

He's having trouble reading defenses at the line, he doesn't go through is progressions fast enough, he's making the wrong decision as to who is open and who isn't, and when he does try to hit the open man... it tends to be an inaccurate throw with little zip (Keenum tends to throw some "floaters")_.

Sure, things may improve with more time... enough for him to possibly be a backup QB (which is a huge accomplishment in and of itself, given him being an undrafted player who played in a weak college program/conference).

#61 Nick, Dec 16, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  2. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I really wanted Case to do well...the dude got a huge chance to become an NFL starter in this league. He had a much better opportunity than most other QBs get, but unfortunately this last game pretty much showed he simply doesn't have the talent to excel in the pros.

I'm honestly shocked that he looked as bad as he did against the Colts.. That 2nd pick thrown to AJ was such a horrible decision...he had Hopkins streaking down the sideline with the safety in the area but would've never been able to catch him...yet he decides to throw it to AJ who's essentially triple covered underneath on the same side. How the eff could you not see Hopkins? He basically ran by AJ and all Case did was stare at Johnson and make a ridiculous throw...just doesn't make sense.

Anyways, not sure Bridgewater is the answer, but he seems like he'd be better at this point than Case.

3. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Case is not the real deal. We need a damn QB bad!

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I dont think it's coincidence that Case had his worst game with Kubiak sitting at home.

For everyone that thought that Kubiak was holding plays back and purposely trying to screw Case, I think you just saw exactly why....Gary was the reason Case was able to have some success.

Im surprised at how much Keenum has regressed from that first game.

Time for a new QB.

5. solid

solid Contributing Member

The end.

6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Case has an infectious personality on the field.

Too bad, his talents aren't that of a good NFL qb.

I think he has a place in this league as a backup, but I am going to go out on a limb and say his talents will lead him to the CFL.

7. Progs

Progs Member

It may be over...:(

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VastXQ_hPb0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Progs

Progs Member

Will BOB fire my boy Case?!?!?!? :eek:

9. solid

I don't think he was as bad as the Texans made him look, but I don't think he is as good as we thought he was at the start. He did some amazing things in the first few games. But without a running game and the team checking out for the season, he didn't have a chance. I still think he has starter potential, but he needs a lot of help and work. I just watched Aaron Rogers get pummeled for most of a playoff game. He is supposed to the best in the league at reading blitzes. Case got all the blame for the sacks, and that is not fair. He was often hit as be received the ball. Not much "reading" can occur is less than a second.

10. Progs

Progs Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Joe Theismann tells <a href="https://twitter.com/getnickwright">@getnickwright</a> that <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Texans&amp;src=hash">#Texans</a> should NOT draft a QB at 1 overall and that Case Keenum could be the guy in Houston.</p>&mdash; Nick Mathews (@Nick_Mathews) <a href="https://twitter.com/Nick_Mathews/statuses/429259571010359296">January 31, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. Remii

Remii Member

I'm good with that... Give the kid a chance with a real coach.

12. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

yeah he also called Andre, "Adrian Johnson" for the segment.

13. Relentless

Relentless Member

Draft Clowney and let Case get us a top pick in 2015

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Doubtful that could happen. With Clowney as the first pick and a second round pick that could be used on defense or O line since the plan wouldn't be to go QB, if Foster is back the Texans would be way too good to get a top pick next year even if Keenum didn't improve.

Think about it this way, Flacco performed worse than Keenum and Schaub last year and his team almost made the playoffs....

15. Relentless

Relentless Member

I wasn't serious, but thanks for the reply.

16. solid

Keenum was put in a near impossible situation. I would like OBrien to look at film and evaluate the situation. If he thinks there is no hope and it is all on Case, so be it. My bet is that he may see more potential than many of you do. I am also convinced that more could have been done to protect him. When P. Manning virtually sits a stool and checks off options during the entire AFC championship game, come on. Case NEVER had that kind of protection.

17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

People rarely blitz Manning because he'll kill you if you do. If You blitz 7 people with only 6 blockers someone is going to get through. The good QB's are able to look hot and throw a quick pass. Case would miss the blitz every time, not look hot, run backward, and then get sacked.

18. solid

Looking "hot" has something to do with formation. If there is no one short to pass to, then what?

19. Remii

Remii Member

I think alot of that has to do with the terrible blocking from the offensive line and bad play calling. I remember during the KC game in the second half _ Kubiak was sending Case out there with an empty backfield. The offensive line was not good enough to call formations like that. We saw how Manning looked under pressure during the super bowl.

20. solid

I remember Tom Brady often being flanked by two running backs in several games. And you make a good point about P. Manning. He didn't "kill them" when he was blitzed like Case was. Case was under relentless pressure coming from all directions without any real protection schemes. He got blamed for not reading the blitzes, but in most cases he had few options. I think he deserves another look and I expect OBrien will do just that. OBrien and his staff will likely view every game film from the season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.