1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case Keenum, the GREAT

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by donatas, Dec 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antec

Antec Member

No it is not.

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

If you're undrafted, your leash is very short. Teams haven't invested in you like the have a first or second round pick. If nobody even though of you highly enough to spend a draft pick on you, then you don't have the luxury of saying "give me a few years to develop". The odds are stacked against an undrafted QB making it and teams can't afford to give them years to develop because it's probably not going to work out. And even though Case is technically a "rookie", it's his 2nd year with the team. He spent 6 years in college and will be 26 next year. It's not like he's a 21 or 22 year old rookie. He's already at an age where he has to start producing.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I was listening to someone talk about Seattle
    They talked about how they were able to build mainly because the QB
    is a 3rd round pick and they did not have to pay him big money

Maybe that is McNair's plan

If Case can be viable for a few years. . .can shore up other spots

Rocket River

4. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

if thats his plan then we will be a mediocre franchise for years to come. building your franchise around the idea that a great qb will slip through the scouts. i hope mcnair isnt that gullible, to believe that because seattle hit the jackpot that he can do the same. seattle also spent money on flynn, he was going to be their qb going into camp, they drafted wilson for comp and he won out. i honestly hope mcnair isnt calling the shots here, please let the football people make the football decisions..

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I don't care if a QB comes into the NFL at 30, they are still going to need at least a full season to develop at the NFL level. Brees spent four years at Purdue and sat behind Doug Flutie for a year and still had some developing to do.

I get that his leash is short, but all I'm saying is that I think he should probably go into training camp as the starter next year regardless of who we draft. I don't think anyone we draft is going to win us more games next year than Case would with a half season this year under his belt. If we're struggling toward the mid-season point, then maybe you throw the rookie out there.

And Case in 2012 was playing scout team, meaning he was taking any meaningful reps in our actual offense. So this is really his first year playing in our offense.

I'm not trying to be a fanboy (I'm not even a UH alum), I just think we're writing him off too early.

6. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

yea like he said his leash is short he was never going to get a year to develop. all his starts this season were his chance to prove he belongs and hes looked really good at times then regressed. hes yet to win a game. for a guy like keenum to be given a franchise he was going to have to come in and completely take over, win football games and turn the teams season around. he hasnt done any of those things.. brees was the first pick in the 2nd round thats a premium draft spot, theres a reason he was given years to develop.

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

Not ready to write him off. Almost, but not yet. The first few weeks were amazing; he definitely looked like the future. Last few weeks, not so much, but impressive performance against the Pats. He has to make whatever adjustments he can make fast. I am still not convinced that at least somewhat Kubiak set him up to fail and Schaub to succeed. The differences in play calling and formations were noticeable. He better shine in the next three games. I think he has to win one or two of them. Not going to beat Peyton, so needs to catch the Colts being happy about backing into the Division "Championship."

8. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Not sure why anyone would write him off after the New England game. His teammates are excited. Jumping around and stuff. That a great sign. This isn't an offense for him. You guys are talking about needing a great qb but the great qb's have system built around them. Incorporate his strengths and then see if he's good enough. Personally I'd love to see him in a Kurt Warner style offense.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The issue here is .. . . if Kubiac was coaching . .. Wilson would not have had a chance to WIN OUT!

Flynn was his starter and he would never even look at the others seriously

with him gone. . . .we will see.

Rocket River

10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Just not realistic to think that Case is going to get many more chances to start next year if he doesn't put it together in the remaining 3 games of this season. Young QBs today don't take years and years to put it together. Mike Glennon, Matt McGloin, EJ Manuel - these guys don't have Andre Johnson to throw to, but they're getting it done at 23, 24 years old. I'd suggest he learn how to read defenses and handle blitzes, quickly.

11. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

you cant write him off, but doesnt look like, right now he is the clear winner of the starting QB job.

but we will see the future of Case when the draft is here.

if they dont draft a QB in the 1st and 2nd round, then Case will have a competition against Yates, and another QB (a rookie or a veteran)

but if the texans use the 1st or 2nd rd pick in a QB (especially 1st) then I think Yates is going to be cut or maybe being the 3rd string, and the competition will be between the new QB vs Case.

If Case win the QB battle still plays mediocre, by midseason, gonna be benched for the new guy.

12. TheDreamShake83

He has had a good amount of games to prove that he deserves that role but I don't think it will happen.

13. DJboutit

DJboutit Member

Now Keenum has a chance to grow with Kubiak as head coach Keenum was pretty much thrown under the bus. Kubiak tried every to keep scrub as our main QB said but true. With a better coach and staff Keenum now has a good chance to grown and learn new things he could be a good 2nd string qb

14. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Statistically he matches up well with many qb's. The problem I have with him is that he has had multiple opportunities to lead his team on a game winning drive and has not been able to do so. Luck, on the other hand, has had many 4th qtr comebacks. Hell our very own Schaub has had his share of clutch moments including the 1st 2 games of this season.

15. solid

solid Contributing Member

Big day for Case tomorrow; it may be now or never. If he can show some of that "first game sparkle" it will go a long way towards being the "man" in the future. If he continues to struggle, he is probably the team's future back up or worse. I wish him well, he is a very nice young man and has some serious skills.

16. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

^^^^ Agreed...tom is a make or break for his career as a starter. He has the talent to be a servicable NFL back up, but tom will tell us if he can be that winner we all would love for him to be. Seriously imagine if Case could actually make Houstonian's comfortable with the QB position; we could begin to build around something. Right now this team is totally without direction or vision. Wish him the best at Indy, but the chances are really slim considering we have never ever ever ever won in Indy.

I posed this question before, I truly wonder if our so called NFL QB guru Kubiak really helped this kid. I dont even know if the Texans can truly evaluate Keenum. We have acknowledged the coaching staff at being totally inept. If that is the case, did Keenum really have the best chance at show casing his talent. He thrived in a spread offense, and if we decide that Keenum is going to be that guy who carries the Texans over, do we build around him??

There is zero question that Keenum has so much to improve on, and can an off season of hard work and individualized work with WRs and Oline member help him? Can he show us something different at the start of next season. So many questions, and so little answers. But one thing is for sure; Keenum, you had your owner come out and publicly name you as the starter going on for the rest of the season. You have really gotten a massive opportunity. And it is totally for you to seize. It would be awesome if you could, but im not holding my breath.

Go Texans. Lets get a win tom...

17. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

i agree with OP, he will be the starter next year.

18. TheDreamShake83

Everytime I see the Texans play I think about this thread and laugh.

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I think Case just about slammed the door shut on his future as a possible starter today.

20. Mr. Space City

Case Keenum, the BACKUP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.