1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Case Closed" - No Health Benefits from Multivitamins

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MadMax, Dec 17, 2013.

1. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

2. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

lol, im glad i traded mines for anti-bacterial soap

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Vitamin supplements for adults that already get their daily value is non-effective and maybe harmful.
    NO ****.

I need to take my vitamins because my diet consists of meat and whole grains. No vegetables or fruits.

4. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

You might want to get regular testing on your liver enzymes if you plan to keep on taking niacin at mega doses. Mega doses of niacin been known to cause liver damage and failure. There is even a warning on the label if I'm not mistaken.The time released brand seems to be a little easier on your liver but you still should be aware the side effects of mega doses niacin.

http://www.rxlist.com/niaspan-drug/warnings-precautions.htm

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

What about kids? I give multivitamin gummies to my 5 year old.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Natural News is garbage.

It's like InfoWars for granola eating hippies.

7. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Lets just presume your article has some truth to it and take it for face value, it discusses two cases where children had an adverse reaction to medicine (namely, a vaccine).

That is a LLLLLOOOONNNNGGGG way off from your statement "vaccines do more harm than good". This is an important myth to bust.

8. moose

moose Member

Nope. It's harmless. It is supposed to go the more you take it.

9. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

If I don't eat right and don't get solid sleep, does Vitamin's help? Have there being any study on some one who have no fruits in their diet but pops vitamin C vs. some one who have no fruits in their diet but pops the placebo?

10. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

As long as you are giving them the suggested dosage of an FDA approved supplement, no problem.

Vitamins become harmful because folks go ridiculously overboard. More != better

11. Panda23

Panda23 Member

well-nourished adults
    well-nourished adults
    well-nourished adults

Is it saying that, people who dont need supplements should not supplement their diet with supplements?

What the fk is this bs

12. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Exactly, this study was done on adults who already eat a well-balanced diet. Not the average American who eats at Fast Food drive thru's, snacks on junk food, and skips meals on the go.

13. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

A good idea, but make sure you consult a doctor on what vitamins are needed.

Calcium and Vitamin D are more important for kids to develop strong bones. A glass of milk should have plenty.

14. dragician

dragician Member

so we can eat papers and **** now, we don't need vitamins.

15. Classic

Classic Member

I take the hell out of some supplements. Like a lot of weird ****. Funny too cuz all my friends who i've grown up with all are starting to grey some. Not me. Still the same body weight & BF % I've been for something like 10 years. Everyone else... ehhh, not so much.

16. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I would assume not, though it depends on what you mean by "don't eat right" and which vitamins you take (or what deficiencies you have specifically). I'm not sure sleep matters much...if you don't sleep well, you should fix that, not take vitamins.

Not sure if this has been tested directly, but I'm sure it has come across in the studies.

Given how vitamin fortified certain foods are, it is possible that some are getting many of these nutrients without even knowing it. Plus I'm not even sure how accurate the daily recommended intake values are per se. I've not done a lot of research on it, but it might be one of those things where vitamin C supplementation might help if you get 0mg of vitamin C a day, but if you get 20mg-30mg, it provides little to no benefit. And I would assume there are few people who would get 0mg of vitamin C in a day.

I think the American diet is pretty poor, but I'm not sure it is necessarily due to lack of nutrients. You should eat more fruits and vegetables (among other things), but maybe not necessarily so you can get those nutrients, but because eating more fruits and vegetables means you're eating less burgers, candy, fries, etc. Less calories, less sodium, less bad stuff in general. Under this assumption (not even sure it is an assumption), it would make sense as to why vitamins don't really help much. Perhaps we recommend xxmg of vitamin C because in order to get that, you have to eat 3-4 fruits, which means not eating so much other junk. Eating that other junk and taking xxmg of vitamin C via a supplement doesn't help you.

For now, I'd say the burden of proof should be on the proponents of vitamins, as with anything.
    While this is true, I also think they can be harmful in cases where people don't go overboard. Instead of improving their diet, many people might just continue to eat poorly but assume a vitamin will "fix" everything. It won't. It likely won't even provide any benefits.

What makes you guys think the average American isn't "well-nourished?" That's a vague definition, but I don't think they only performed studies on 6000+ perfectly healthy individuals, who had perfect diets for the 12+ years of the trial. Most likely, the people they sampled ARE average Americans (or Westerners...not sure if these are all US centric). Now, as I said earlier, it is possible that there is some bias, due to the fact that some individuals might eat better, fearing that they're in the placebo group. But given the studies being done, the bias likely isn't hiding some huge benefit to routine supplementation.

These guys aren't going to do research on populations that only represent 1% (or less) of the larger population. They're going to target the "average" person since that is what is important about this research. You don't spend tons of time and money just to conclude that healthy people are healthy.

As I said earlier, if you don't eat right, fix your diet. Don't just take a vitamin. If you're worried you might have a deficiency, go to your doctor and get it checked out. Otherwise, the evidence seems to indicate that vitamins are just a waste of money, and possibly even harmful since it could act as a barrier to alternatives that WILL provide significant benefits.

17. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Does Vitamin B work?

18. Andrew Wiggins

I can see how it's harmful. Many people think they can get away with poor diets and just make up for it by eating vitamins. That's not how it works. It's the same as those who argue their Ramen is not so bad because they add vegetables to it. It's the same with smokers who say they don't eat fast food, drink soda, and eat healthy everyday so it's okay. I don't care how healthy you are, if you smoke then you are unhealthy.

If your diet sucks then your diet sucks. Vitamins won't make it better no matter how stubborn you want to be (for some reason people get stubborn when we talk about eating habits).

19. Classic

Classic Member

Drink a 5 hr energy and let us know.

20. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

This is a good point. Diet is more important than if you take vitamins or not...this test is faulty and worth very little unless they could do it with the participants eating the same foods and drinks, working the same jobs, and exercising the same amount...even then genetics play a bit of a part too.

I'm sure they tried to get some similar groups together and find some relationship, but it looks like they tried to hide a lot of different factors of this study just to make some statement (with a silly title) to get people's attention to read this article and show how we're all fools for believing vitamins help in anyway.

LOL, case closed? Maybe regarding their researching integrity.