1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Case Closed" - No Health Benefits from Multivitamins

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MadMax, Dec 17, 2013.

1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

SNAP!

[​IMG]

2. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Wow. Can of worms there. /derail

Please source something legit stating vaccines do more harm than good. Everything I've seen recently fully and utterly (as in case closed) debunks any notion that vaccines are anything less than amazing. We've seen antidotal stories of a few people that had adverse reactions. However, that is FAR less than the amount of people now contracting/dying from small pox which is now resurgent because some people refuse vaccinations, contract a disease and then infects a whole bunch of people.

It's really important that people stop buying into this myth for all of our benefit.. Choosing not to vaccinate impacts not only you but everybody you ever come into contact with. If you don't want to get vaccinated, then it should be your duty to move out to the wilderness.
    /derail

I don't take vitamins daily but instead take them under certain conditions:

1. When my energy level is very low. The next day, I'm back up. Works 100% for me.

2. After heavy drinking. ;). A Dr once told me certain minerals bind with alcohol and helps prevent hangovers. Works 75% of the time.

3. I slam vitamins (mostly C) as soon as I feel an itch in my throat. About a 50% chance of warding off a cold.

3. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

someone just got cheetahed.

2 people like this.
  4. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I mentioned this earlier, but I don't really think these 3 studies were meant to really sway things one way or the other. Prior to this, evidence seemed to indicate little to no benefits to vitamins. This just adds more evidence to that conclusion.

It would be difficult, if not impossible, to prove what you are seeking. You're essentially asking them to prove that vitamins have no benefit. It would be like proving that watching Houston Rockets games provide no health benefits. No one can prove that (at least not easily). But they shouldn't have to. The proof should be coming from the people making the claim (i.e., prove the benefits to taking vitamins, watching Rockets games, etc.).

In this case, I don't believe there has been any solid proof that vitamins provide any substantial benefits to people (excluding special situations), so they are recommending people save their time/money and just try to eat right, exercise, get solid sleep, etc. Rather than conclusively saying there are no health benefits, they are just saying there is no evidence of health benefits. A significant, albeit perhaps subtle, difference.

Placebos can be pretty awesome.

5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I eat 8 Airborne every day and haven't had a cold in two years. Beforehand I'd get at least 2-3 colds per year. Not sayin', just sayin'.

6. moose

moose Member

To avoid niacin flushing, take aspirin with your niacin.

- Pharmacist

7. moose

moose Member

Oh and this article is bull**** lol

8. BabyClutch

BabyClutch Contributing Member

The one exception is Vitamin D, which Americans greatly lack. The evidence for Vitamin D supplements is huge. And most of yall are highly deficient!

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Not really. I won't take vitamins, even in cases where the evidence supports it. So, I don't care what they prove.

But, I guess it got my back up with the 'case closed' language precisely because of what you said. It's like they're claiming that they succeeded in proving the unprovable. It's fine to say the study shows no benefit to heart health, cancer, and brain function, but a bit of a leap to go on to say the whole thing is a fraud as a result.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

There are a host of studies that support the same general idea...that multivitamins are a complete waste.

But I've read repeatedly that Vitamin D supplements are important.

I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

You and the Mrs. having that yearly spat about just how many toy trains the kids can receive in one Christmas -- am I right?

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Unfortunately the kids are too old for toy trains.

And i promise you, if I'm staying at any hotel, the Mrs. is coming with me and how, youknowwhati'msayin?

1 person likes this.
  13. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

I have a somewhat horrible diet, should I stop taking multi vitamins?

14. RC Cola

Yeah, guess it is semantics at this point. They're claiming there are no clear benefits to it, and they are basing that on this study and many others. Not necessarily ruling out ANY benefits, but if there are benefits, they must not be very clear (or else the benefits would have shown up in some of these studies).

In any case, the point is that there doesn't appear to be any evidence indicating a strong benefit to routine supplementation, so people might want to save their money and focus on things that will provide benefits.

15. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

More importantly...

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/some-adhd-meds-cause-prolonged-erections-fda-warns-2D11761731

:eek:

16. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well-nourished. Many adults don't get the levels of needed vitamins from their every day diet, so that's why we take multivitamins. It will be very interesting to see how the guidelines change from this, but right now, basically EVERYONE is on a multivitamin in the hospital.

17. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

Is the flush bad for you though? I just worked through it and now I don't flush when I take it.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

19. RC Cola

What percentage of people have these deficiencies?

I would assume that if it was very common, it probably would have come across in some of these studies. The sample sizes tend to be pretty large, and there are so many of them. There could be some bias that people were worried about receiving a placebo, so they improved their diet just to make sure nothing "bad" happened.

Though even with any bias like that, it seems the benefit would still likely be pretty small. It certainly seems more advisable to just recommend people eat better rather than take a multivitamin and continue with their poor diets.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Breaking [9/3/2013]: Courts discreetly confirm MMR vaccine causes autism

You won't hear anything about it from the mainstream media, but the federal government's kangaroo "vaccine court" has once again conceded, albeit quietly, that the combination measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine does, indeed, cause autism. In a recently published ruling, part of which was censored from public view, a young boy was awarded hundreds of thousands of dollars after it was determined that the MMR vaccine led to a confirmed diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder (ASD).

"Ryan suffered a Table injury under the Vaccine Act -- namely, an encephalitis within five to fifteen days following receipt (of MMR)," admitted the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) regarding the case. "This case is appropriate for compensation," it added, in full agreement with the court's decision.

link