1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cartoon removed 2 yrs from air date after fear muslims would attack

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Honey Bear, Jul 26, 2016.

1. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Honey Bear altering the words of news outlets to spread misinformation and ATW is on here defending him as usual.

Here's the entire article for anyone interested:

Nowhere in here does it say:
    Honey Bear doctored that in to make a non-story into something more.

All so he could continue his crusade against ALL Muslims.

Legit makes me sad that Honey Bear is trolling but there are actually disgusting people like ATW and Roc Paint (the benevolent one) who are so quick to jump in/pile on a story with false details. Is this an overreaction by the Muslim group that wanted the cartoon removed? Yes.

Is this an even bigger overreaction by those who have a bigoted agenda against all Muslims? Definitely.

#21 DudeWah, Jul 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  2. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Oh, brother. Another LOF going hard in the paint, jumping in the air ... and having nowhere to go.

This article was picked up before the BBC put it on it's main page and made it far more PC. Every developing story has constant edits - read the disclaimer on the bottom.

But trust those who never contribute to try to find any petty issue they can - they don't have the gravitas to debate the main issue being presented. . . which happens to be clear as day in this case . . .

Western muslim organizations using fear and intimidation tactics against free speech. You can pretend like the moderate living down the road doesn't agree with them, but you're only cheating yourself.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I've haven't yet seen what threats were made over this story, or what aggressive actions were taken. There is nothing to this story that strengthens the argument you're promoting that Muslim moderates abet terrorism through their tacit approval. If this was a case where Muslims were clearly overreacting, then I could see perhaps some tenuous connection. But what was reported here is a normal reaction I'd expect from any religious advocacy group, not just Muslim ones.

Supposing that whoever was responsible for the cartoon received death threats, and this Muslim advocacy group from the story refused to speak out against such violent threats, then that would be go much further in making your point. Maybe you're anticipating this will happen.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

****ing ridiculous - if you don't like the cartoon don't watch it.

DD

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The flaw in your argument is that you treat every incident as an isolated one. "I haven't seen what threats were made over this story".

Come on - nowadays, after Charlie Hebdo, the Danish cartoonist, South Park, the Texas cartoon shooting, not to even mention all the "blasphemy" stuff going on in Pakistan and elsewhere in the Muslim world - you cannot base your argument on "but I haven't seen any explicit threats based on this story".

The outrage on Twitter, etc., is there for this story, previous murders have happened after similar outrage - the threat is implicit, if not explicit.

You cannot seriously say that "as long as there are no explicit death threats reported in this particular case, it's just a normal reaction". No, it is not. It is a string of cases of using outrage to subdue others into following their norms. It's a power game. It's a form of terror.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

This is actually a good example of the connected tissue between the so-called "moderates" and the ones who carry out the intimidation and killing on their behalf.

If the so-called "moderates" weren't so outraged about any perceived slight, the violence would not happen. There is widespread implicit or explicit agreement among Muslims that "Islam must be defended" (violently) against a freaking cartoon. We know that - even if "rarely" - hundreds of millions of Muslims around the world even think suicide attacks against civilians are justified to "defend Islam". You can only expect the percentage to be even higher when it's against specific people (like cartoonists) who are deemed to have "offended Islam".

It's not just the violent terrorists, people.

They are just executing on behalf of the Mathlooms of the world, who want cartoonists to live in fear for the rest of their lives (that's as much as has admitted) or to simply be killed.

7. durvasa

ATW, are you arguing that moderate Muslims should never be offended and express disapproval when they're being insulted, and if they do that's somehow further proof that they are tacitly abetting terrorists?

It sounds like that is what you're arguing.

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes. I am arguing that they should never be offended by a freaking cartoon, and get on with their lives. I am arguing that for everyone else as well, and everyone else pretty much does that.

9. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I wanted to post earlier, but I wanted to revisit my learnings of Islam to make sure I wasn't ill-informed. The way these people are responding to defend Islam from my understanding of the text and religion is wrong. I will quote, however it has been translated to English (since the Quran was written in Arabic) so there may be a little paraphrasing from the Author.

"[2:190] You may fight in the cause of GOD against those who attack you, but do not aggress. GOD does not love the aggressors.
    [2:191] You may kill those who wage war against you, and you may evict them whence they evicted you. Oppression is worse than murder. Do not fight them at the Sacred Masjid, unless they attack you therein. If they attack you, you may kill them. This is the just retribution for those disbelievers.
    [2:192] If they refrain, then GOD is Forgiver, Most Merciful.
    [2:193] You may also fight them to eliminate oppression, and to worship GOD freely. If they refrain, you shall not aggress; aggression is permitted only against the aggressors."

"[5:87] O you who believe, do not prohibit good things that are made lawful by GOD, and do not aggress; GOD dislikes the aggressors.

[8:61] If they resort to peace, so shall you, and put your trust in GOD. He is the Hearer, the Omniscient.

[4:90] ... if they leave you alone, refrain from fighting you, and offer you peace, then GOD gives you no excuse to fight them."

"[4:94] O you who believe, if you strike in the cause of GOD, you shall be absolutely sure. Do not say to one who offers you peace, "You are not a believer," seeking the spoils of this world. For GOD possesses infinite spoils. Remember that you used to be like them, and GOD blessed you. Therefore, you shall be absolutely sure (before you strike). GOD is fully Cognizant of everything you do."

I believe these people are taking these offensive events as an act of war, which in all honestly I do not believe to be the case. I also do not consider this to be oppressing, more of just freedom of speech, which plenty of times can be offensive, but not oppressive.

The final quote, about striking in the cause of GOD, this is the one that I think should scare the TRUE believers away from doing such killings or acts. I know everyone has their own opinion and thought process, but while there are words like fight, kill, strike, etc. The context is used mainly as a self defense, and specifically says do not be the aggressor.

I do not defend the ones who twist God's words to bring hate, pain and suffering. The Prophet PBUH, went through a lot of scrutiny and went through trials, and if we are to live as he did, then these people who are overreacting and claiming war for something that does not qualify or justify in my opinion, are wrong and act on their own merit or are misguided.

Again, I made my own opinions and assumptions here, and if I'm wrong may it reflect upon me and nothing or noone else.

10. durvasa

I assume you would accept that there are scenarios where it would hypothetically be justified for Muslims to outwardly express they are being insulted. Example: If Trump becomes President and in his first address to the nation he takes the Quran and starts tearing pages out of it -- would expressing anger/disgust over such an act, in a non-violent manner, still be unwarranted?

So in this case, you believe the offense was so minor that it didn't warrant any response from Muslims, and you'd apply that standard to everyone.

I'm saying that the animator was purposely trying to slip in something that's insulting to Muslims, and that isn't right. Just as it wouldn't be right if they were purposely trying to put in an anti-Jew, or anti-Christian, or anti-Hindu thing in there. That its merely a cartoon doesn't make it OK.

Given that I don't think what was done there is right, how can I object if the insulted group itself speaks up about it? If there's evidence that they are going beyond that -- making threats or taking otherwise "aggressive" actions against the animation studio -- then I would very likely join you in objecting to the reaction.

11. durvasa

Thanks for offering your perspective. But, in this case, I don't believe there was reported threat of violence or attack yet, which is what you seem to be responding to here. If you only read the thread title and the first post, without looking at the article, I can understand how you'd get that impression.

Still, such violent threats have happened and I'm sure will happen in the future, and its good to know that there is an Islamic argument against it.

12. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Ah, I see that I got okie doked.

13. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

There are only 4 venomous snakes in Texas - if you learn to recognize those 4 (copperheads, cottonmouths, rattlesnakes, coral snakes) then you won't have to live your life constantly on guard - that must be awful.

I think I'd rather educate myself

think about it.

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

i'm sure they just removed it unprovoked and willingly when they saw it. i'm sure they fired that animation studio to teach them a lesson, no one forced them at all. i'm sure that's exactly how it went down :rolleyes:

15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

^^^ Glad the hate-mongers are focused on the BIG issues during election season ^^^ a cartoon in Britain . . .

16. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I don't get it. Muslims organizations wanted it removed or non-Muslims did? How was it perceived as a threat by Muslims? The way that story is written makes it seem like it was just a random Quranic verse...wouldn't that be a good thing? Doesn't that kind of bring Islam and the Quran into the mainstream? Was the verse they chose a particularly violent verse? Wasn't it in Arabic, ie most people who could read it were likely Muslim anyways?

Just seems like they made a mountain out of a mole hill.

17. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

You contradict yourself: it was illegible because it was in Arabic, but it was bringing the Quran into the mainstream, you say.

A guy slips on a page of the Quran that is randomly lying face down on the floor, spilling coffee everywhere, and you're mystified why this is not a good thing. . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJaBSTix0Pk

And you wonder if the illegible page was "particularly violent," which would . . . cause Arabic readers to be angry at that page of the Quran?

Your entire post is coy nonsense.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It's called freedom of speech. "Isn't right" - who cares. Get over it. It's a freaking cartoon. It doesn't make any difference to anyone's life. 99.9 % of Muslims would have never seen the cartoon. There are cartoons mocking everything every day. Again, it's called freedom of speech. F-ing get over it.

They are free to say they don't like it. They should NOT be free to indirectly or directly coerce the cartoon makers into withdrawing it and apologizing, etc.

1 person likes this.
  19. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Yeah....Well....What?

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

ATW might be the most idiotic poster I have ever seen. The efforts he expends in these moronic circles clearly show his intelligence ceiling. Truly someone you feel sorry for...tbh