1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carroll Dawson running workouts for Joey Dorsey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 25, 2009.

1. yo

yo Contributing Member

We were watching the same video?

2. DaronMalakian

DaronMalakian Member

why?

Yao said it, day after day, week after week, and maybe in 2 years...

3. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if he can't learn basic technique from CD then no one can teach it to him. CD is a great low post/big man coach.

yes, perfecting the moves comes with time and repitition.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he's terrible

5. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

How can Joey not have anything related to a jumpshot? What did he do in practice from 5th grade till highschool? Just layups and dunks?

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

he looks really bad. and then CD says we wouldnt believe how far hes come? lol well we know he wasn't drafted for his offense.

it's nice to know he's learning a simple jump hook, etc., but he needs to focus on his strength which is defense. learn the rotations, learn about positioning on rebounds on man coverage, then he'll get some playing time.

if they are waiting for him to get an offensive game before they play him, they might as well cut him.

7. lalala902102001

This doesn't look good. If Dorsey can't make a four feet jump hook with nobody guarding him consistenly, how can he possibly score in a real NBA game?

8. SugarLandDream8

It takes longer for big men to develop in the NBA. Guards usually reach their prime in their early-mid 20s; big men dominate in their late 20s to mid 30s and usually can play till their late 30s.

9. JamesC

JamesC Member

This is almost like a redshirt year for Dorsey. Its good to see him working on some moves for the low post. I think his biggest adjustment is the fact that he wont overpower the other teams big men on every possession like at Memphis. I think he'll be ok though.

10. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

I hope he does well. Don't want to know that we could have had Mario Chalmers instead of what currently is a poor man's Chuck Hayes.

11. DaronMalakian

DaronMalakian Member

Really? He's specialized in this area -I don't know that-? Because there are poeple who is it.

The meaning of my message was: CD is famous and popular, but perhaps not for that is the best in that task. What I don't know is his historial in this topic.

PD: Stop negative comments, please. He's trying to improve. Ben Wallace can't do that and, how many all stars?

12. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

ohhh god, his hook %age is worse than his ft's........he better get real good at playing D and blocking shots, stop working on an offensive game, it's pointless, see chuck hayes.

13. Laoyi

Laoyi Member

Dorsey doesn't look good at all!

14. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

Sponge? Dorsey needs Shamwow.

15. worzel gummidge

He's credited for bringing along Dream. I think he also worked with Tracy on his free throw shooting this off-season.

16. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

Dorsey needs to stay away from the weight-room and stay in the gym working on those shots. Guy actually needs to lose muscle mass. Having to shoot the jump hook over Yao some in 2-man low post decoy practice might help.

17. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Time is better spent praying that he grows another 4 inches.

18. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

To say he's raw is an understatement. Did you see his touch from point blank range on his jump hooks? Yikes!

19. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I like that he is trying to get better. I would love to see him develop into a chuck hayes-type player, except that joey can throw down a vicious dunk unlike chuck. If he can develop a hook or j-shot to use on rare occasions where he has the ball on a busted play with the shot clock winding down, all the better.

20. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Memphis may be a top program, but their style of play isn't conducive to teaching kids any kind of fundamentals whatsoever. They play in C-USA but recruit with the top 10 schools in the country--this means that after their nonconference schedule finishes they get to run everybody else over with their raw athleticism. Sure, Rose came out of Calipari's system all right, but he was a one-and-done, and you're not going to tell me that Calipari taught him any of what he's got going right now. You want players that got everything out of Calipari's tutelage? Try Darius Washington, Rodney Carney, Shawne Williams, Chris Douglas-Roberts, and now Joey Dorsey.

Sure, he had Camby at UMass, but the biggest thing he probably taught that guy was how to accept money .