1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carroll Dawson on 610 NOW! (7am)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Faos, Jul 2, 2003.

1. SLA

SLA Member

Someone please give me a scenario where you cut your foot on some glass...............

2. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Mistaking a Bag o Glass for your shoe?

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He's practicing dribbling in his living room and puts the ball through his coffee table top. The resulting explosion of glass covers the living room floor. Goofus is staggering back in amazement and "Bingo!"... steps on a peice.

Sounds perfectly logical to me.
    (but so do aliens from space)

4. rainmaker

rainmaker Member

Jeff, good point on the Cat. And agreed, it is the nature of the business, and I understand that the contract structure in the NBA is the only way to keep teams together, but my hope is that the Rockets exercise more discipline than other teams when it comes to giving contracts to young players. The value of these contracts is based on potential more than anything else. It's like investing in the stock market except you can't pull your money out when the stock tanks. I'd have to do more research, but my gut feeling is that Mobley is more of the exception than the rule.

And with Posey, a player with a good upside, when a player has some obvious red flags like being a horrible shooter (career 40% and declining), based on the mistakes the Rockets have made in the past, the Rockets should use more caution when dishing out the cash. With Mooch, after one solid full season in Houston, were the Rockets really ready to make him one of the top paid backup PGs in the league? If Mo-T only made $4 mil and Mooch $1 mil, we'd be talking about making at run at Elton Brand.

Discipline is all I'm asking for.

BTW, for a list of all the NBA players saleries, here is a website:
    http://jazzhoops.net/salary.htm

Cheers.

5. Ming the Dream

Ming the Dream Contributing Member

Amen rainmaker. The day Posey is worth 6-7 million a year for a 6 year deal is the day I hope we tell him good luck with his new team. Why pay 7 million a year for a guy who can't shoot??

6. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

I didn't know pick up game winning shots were being counted.....

7. Houston Native

Houston Native Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yea, and Cato had a few triple doubles at Westside and look what it got him.

Houston Native

8. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Yoiu're telling me you wouldn't pay Ben Wallace that kind of money? Shooting isn't everything in this league.

9. AGBee

AGBee Member

Duh, Eddie was fighting the terrorists from Die Hard.

10. Wolfhound

Wolfhound Member

All you guys complaining about Posey and his 40% fg percentage are probably the same guys who want Iverson and his 37%.

11. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Nice shot, Wolfhound!:)

12. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Give me a break, everybody knows that Griffin got hurt karate kicking a window trying to escape international terrorists who wanted him for his brain since he had an uncanny ability to work hard on his game and they wanted to clone that! Either that or he's bumbling, take your pick.

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

He was trying to pack his enormous bong using his foot? :confused:

14. Ming the Dream

Ming the Dream Contributing Member

tierre, you mean to tell me you are comparing Posey to Ben Wallace??? Wallace can't score, but he plays a position where he can dominate through other aspects of the game...reb,blocks etc. Posey doesn't do either of those things nearly as well as Big Ben, and isn't a great passer either. If we are going to build an offense around Yao, we have to have Forwards that can make defenses pay for the double team, and EG nor JNo did that last year. I like Posey for 4 years 20million. But nothing more, he is a good role player...but shouldn't be starting here in 2 years if we are going to be contenders.

15. tigereye

tigereye Member

EG...........a word of advise to ya'. Don NOT ask Jeff Kent to help you on excuses for this one.

And next, when you get high and have that "I'm Immortal" feeling again, dont walk on glass to test your theory. And dont try flying either!;)

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Maybe he fell off a glass treadmill...or a glass deer-stand.

Oops, wrong sport..

17. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

I'm just saying, if you're going to rip Posey to pieces, do it for something other than shooting. He's not a bad shooter; he's real streaky, and when he's on, he's really good. He doesn't pass too well, yeah, but he's a freakin 3, a forward. Please. I don't think he deserves 6-7 mil a year, but don't turn him into the next Moochie and start bashing him senseless.

18. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

The knocks on Posey are valid for the Rockets. A team that wants to run through the offense through the Center/Post needs a three that is a great outside shooter and passer. The 3 is the best position to feed the post and needs to be able to sink the three when the defense sags.

All that said... I kinda like Posey mainly because he's not soft or lazy. He would make a great 6th man. He could also be a defensive stopper when Nachbar is getting abused which we are going to see some of if he starts to get some PT.

19. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

This is a dilemma: if you sign a short contract with a player, he is motivated to work hard and get better, then his stock will rise and you have to pay more to keep him. If you sign a long fat contract with a player, he is going to lie down and enjoy his money, then you are stuck with a lazy pig for 5-6 years and you have to feed him a lot. So what is the better option? Let me think..... I'd choose short contracts.

I will only sign long contracts with guys like Yao, Kobe, Dunkun, KG who know to better themselves without your pushing behind and who won't sit on their money and let the team rot.

20. Lionheart

Lionheart Member

I hate to break it to you but Posey is NO Ben Wallace. Yes Shooting is an important part of the game..DULL?

Name me any other player who's 6'8 and plays the game like Big Ben? Yup, NO ONE. Ben is just one of those rare freaks that doesnt need to score.