1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

carrol Dawson is a joke...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by We're Back, May 27, 2003.

1. We're Back

We're Back Member

Out of curiosity why are so many people here so fond of the job that CD has done? Aside from Yao, which was just a lucky twist of fate, and trading OT for Glide, and the trade for Frachise, he really hasn't made ONE good move. The nucleus of our championship teams was built by the hated Patterson. We are currently drowning in a quagmire of huge contracts for total scrubs. Sorry, guys, once the hub bub dies down, and we stop pretending like illness and not poor coaching was the reason for Rudy's departure, CD is gone too. Hallelujah.

2. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

1. Ray Patterson was senile and way past his prime.

2. Steve Patterson was a dang good GM. The only reason Les fired him was because he couldnt sell out the building. Les later admitted he should never have fired Steve.

As far as the contracts, Rudy had as much input as CD.

3. Rocket_Boy_34

Rocket_Boy_34 Member

I think we'll begin to find out who's fault all of this was in about a year, when we have a new coach, and the same GM, only then will we see if things turn around or not.

4. We're Back

We're Back Member

I know that Rudy had as much input as CD. Who's fault is that? CD is gone. I admit that a friend of a ball boy didn't tell me that, but I think that it will come tyo pass. I just want someone to tell me why CD should stay. Cat and KT were great second round picks, but our more recent draft day debacles dwarf those accomplishments.

5. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

He's the "joke" that brought us:

Barkley
    Pippen
    Francis
    Ming

On top of that, he is one of the most respected GM's in the league.

Sure he has signed the dotted line for some lousy contracts (Cato, Taylor, Moochie), but Im pretty sure every team has its share of crappy contracts too.

6. We're Back

We're Back Member

Oh yeah, I forgot to thank him for Pippen. You are really scraping. That was a HUGE disaster if I remember correctly.
    Good thing we traded for Barkley. That was genius. It did fill the seats, but tainting the organization with a known, proven smak talking loser like Sir Charles might have been a mistake. It's not about bringing superstars. We are blessed with two already. It's about role players, and so far he has been a disaster in that area.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Quick somebody get on the phone and tell KT that he only imagined that he was drafted in the first round.

8. We're Back

We're Back Member

Oh yeah, every team does have crappy contracts, but no one has a Moochie!

9. codell

codell Contributing Member

He also signed Mario Elie.

Drafted Sam Cassell.

Drafted Mobley in the 2nd round.

10. We're Back

We're Back Member

My bad. I forgot tha KT was our 22 pick. OK, I take away my credit to CD for that one. He is worse than I described. Also, wherever Kt was drafted we opted to commit to Slo Mo and Moochie instead of him, so what's the difference?

11. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Interesting CD has a reputation of a "coaches GM". I am not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

One thing I know is that if you look at every GM in the league you will find faults in all of them. For example I perosnally believe "Logo" is overrated. He got Kobe because Kobe forced Challote's hand - and he got Shaq because Coach Hill and the Magic front office pissed him off - don't forget that Shaq also wanted to be a Laker. Fox - who was a star in Boston basically took less money to be in LA. The LA thing give him a greater leverage than anyone else. Other than Shaq, Kobe and Fox, I cannot think of one impact player he added to the team with great draft day moves - Devan and Fisher are just overrated. Another example - he could have drafted Cutino the year we got him but he did not think he was good enough.

He will be exposed in Memphis. That Gator he traded for will turn out to be another "overrated" player.

12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

West isn't over-rated. For proof all you have to do is look at the knicks. If being in Los Angeles gives you leverage, then so should being in New York. You always hear players talking about what a dream it is to play in Madison Square Garden. But look at the Knicks! With your logic, you would think that even if they have the worst GM in the league they'd still be able to put together a decent team just due to their "leverage".

they can't.

also, if Mike Miller stays healthy in Memphis I think he's a perfect fit over there.

13. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

When your GM is a coaches' GM, and your coach is a players' coach, and your players are dumb and selfish, it's a very bad thing.

14. verse

verse Contributing Member

inmates running the asylum.

15. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

LA has more leverage that New York.

Look at it this way - with Kobe and Shaq, the knicks would have won at least one championship by now.

But Kobe WANTED TO BE TRADED ONLY TO LA. If he asked for New York he would have gotten it too. Who did Logo send to Charllote? Divac. Yes Divac for Kobe. Travesty.

After Shaq fell out with coach Hill in Orlando, there was only one team he wanted to sign with LA. NY could have afforded him or move bodies to accomodate him. But Shaq's mind was made up - LA or LA.

My point here is that if Kobe and Shaq changed their minds and chose NY instead of LA, Logo would not have been this regarded as the person who got Kobe and signed Shaq. Prior to the arrival of Shaq and Kobe in 1996, the Rockets frequently abused "Tragic", Divac and Co back then. We even beat them 3-1 in the playoff.

LA without Shaq and Kobe would have been like NY now or worse.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

BTW - besides the Owner, who hates Patterson (pa and/or son), and why? Ray saved then nurtured this franchise and Steve did fine in his role then, and for McNair's Texans since.

17. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Pippen was a "HUGE" disaster that I guaran-damn-tee you were pumped up and excited about when it came to fruition. And I'd bet you were even more thrilled when we signed future hall of famer Charles Barkley.

How in the hell is CD going to predict that bringing in all-stars like Pippen and Barkley are not going to improve the team?!?!?

:rolleyes:

Your 20/20 hindsight adds nothing to the validity of this ridiculous thread.

18. We're Back

We're Back Member

First of all I was mad as hell when we got Barkley. I supported him when he was on our squad, but don't tell me that I was happy about getting him after "Ain't gonna happen", "Chucky who?" and"Butt Whuppin Inc." Chuck just never did what it took to be a winner. He partied to hard and wasn't committed to the game like guys like Dream and MJ. So, yes, I knew that it was a bad move to trade two young, quality players so I could watch Eddie Sefko ride Chuck's jock for a few years while he limped, ate and drank his way out of the league.
    Regardless, that is besides the point. People are judged by results, not what I think.

19. We're Back

We're Back Member

And my main point is that CD is on borrowed time...deal with it

20. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

For sure you know what you are talking about! A+