1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carr vs Vick

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Luckyazn, Nov 27, 2004.

?

Vick or Carr?

Poll closed Dec 12, 2004.
  1. David Carr

43 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. Michael Vick

70 vote(s)
    61.9%
  1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

84 is a decent quarterback ranking, regardless of what other quarterbacks are posting. Its average. Atlanta does not have an incredible running game when you subtract Vick's yards. Warrick Dunn and T.J. Duckett aren't going to the pro bowl anytime soon.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

it's average. you're right.

he's overrated. at this point..he's average.

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Did you realize that Mike Vick is his team's leading rusher? Despite having less than 2/3 the carries of Warrick Dunn? QB rating (a misnomer, really, PASSER rating) doesn't account for running ability. And Vick's as good a runner as any quarterback who's played the game.

Average passer + excellent runner = good QB

Carr's solid, but he's got to have more of an edge passing on Vick than he does to offset Vick's ability to produce yards and points on the ground.

4. MadMax

I'll quote myself, "in the NFL, I don't want my QB running the ball 10-12 times per game."

5. SamCassell

Why? Because of the injury risk? (Vick averages 8 or 9 runs per game, btw). I don't know what their career numbers were, but Cunningham, Elway, and Young were all very successful running the ball, and their teams were successful as a result. Whatever Vick's doing, he's successful. The Falcons are 9-2.

6. MadMax

cunningham is the ONLY comparable player. and even he isn't all that comparable. i've never seen a pro QB look to run as quickly as Vick does. Elway and Young were AMAZING passers who had good mobility...I dont think Carr is far off from that kind of mobility. Vick is a freak. He's a freakishly good runner.

And yes...because of the injuries. There's a reason you don't run the option in pro football...defensive players aren't just bigger, they're faster too. Makes for a great college QB...but Charlie Ward, Major Harris and Tony Rice don't play on Sundays. Vick is clearly a better passer than those guys...but he's not the kind of passer that warrants him being called one of the greatest QBs in the game to this point.

looking at record alone doesn't tell the tape. i've used this example before, but remember, Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl...he was no where near being the best QB in the league that season.

7. SamCassell

I'll agree with you on injuries but Trent Dilfer?? No way Vick is Dilfer. Look at 2003 - with Vick out, the Falcons fell apart. Without Vick they were 2 - 9, with Vick 3 - 2. Sometimes you don't know the value of a player til he's gone.

I wouldn't call either of these guys one of the "greatest in the game", btw. I'd hold that narrow list to Manning, McNabb, Favre, and maybe Culpepper.

8. MadMax

i'm not calling vick dilfer. not at all. i'm saying if you use the line of reasoning that he must be great because his team has a winning record, you'll find a list of QB's who played on great teams but were not great QB's.

totally agreed that carr is not among the greatest in the league..there's no doubt of that...vick gets the run as one of the greatest, though. that's why i claim he's overrated. because he's not among the great QBs in this game right now, however much everyone wants him to be. i agree with your list..and i would definitely include Culpepper.

9. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Vick reminds me of a young McNabb. As Vick matures he will rely less on his legs and more on his arm. It would also help if he had a real number one receiver to throw to. Crumpler is his only consistent target.

Carr has the luxury of having better receivers right now, but is also pretty good at running the ball if needed.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think you should pay more attention to NFL games. QBs are running for their lives out there most of the time, Vick is just getting 20 extra yards per scramble.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

Other teams have their QBs scramble so they can buy time to look for open receivers. A pass of 10 yards out of the pocket is just as good as a run of 10 yards from scrambling.

12. MadMax

come on...no, they're not. even Vick, with as much as he runs, isn't running more than 8-10 times per game, as Sam pointed out above.

the best QB's are drop back passers...culpepper can't run...mcnabb isn't a great runner...peyton sure as hell can't run.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Culpepper and McNabb can't run? I'd beg to differ.

14. MadMax

man, i'm not trying to place race card at all...but do you think if McNabb were white you'd still think that??? i don't see many parallels between McNabb's game and Vick's. Vick is on his own planet when it comes to running the football. I'm certainly not denying that.

McNabb has 33 rushing attempts all season...3 a game. the most he ever had in one season was 86.

By comparison, Vick has 99 rushing attempts through 11 games, already...right at 9 per game.

Further comparison..Carr has 46 rushing attempts...over 4 per game this season.

15. MadMax

ok..i'll add culpepper's numbers in there too...

he's run the ball 67 times this season for 257 yards. not exactly a speed burner.

again...when you're comparing QBs who scramble to Mike Vick, it's not the same thing. i think Randall Cunningham is the only thing even close to Vick I've seen in my lifetime, in terms of running the ball as a QB.

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Daunte Culpepper Career Rushing Stats

--------------------Rush----Yds---Y/G---Avg----TD
    2000 Minnesota--89----470----29.4----5.3----7
    2001 Minnesota--71----416----37.8---5.9----5
    2002 Minnesota--106---609---38.1----5.7---10
    2003 Minnesota---73----422---30.1----5.8----4

And McNabb's had mostly 400 yards every season including a 600 yard season, but also a couple seasons with a 7.3 ypc.

Yes, Culpepper only has 250 yards so far this season, but to glance at his current passing stats I think it's safe to assume he is finding other ways to advance the ball, and is doing it very effectively.

#36 moestavern19, Dec 1, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  17. MadMax

no doubt about that!!! i'm not knocking culpepper at all!!! i'd put him in my top 3-4 QB's in the league, without a doubt!

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Randall Cunningham's all around season in 1990 is incredible. I don't think Vick will ever be able to put up numbers like that in a single season.

19. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Vick is young right?...What happens when he gets in his late 20's and he keeps himself open to tough hits?...As good as he is running...I've seen Mr. "I'm back...scrambling", He was awesome in running plays, just as good as Vick if not, better...and I'm sure Vick will win an MVP or two, but if it does happen it will be early, because Vick WILL get taken off the field and blow a season with his style...plus I thought he had a much better arm?!?...Ugly!...After watching a game, I thought Quincy Carter was out there...

Carr definitely has the edge on passing accuracy, and arm strength...Mobility is above average for Carr compared to the mean or medium of all the NFL's quarterbacks playing right now...Carr is too solid when you look at the overall picture...

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Carr's arm strength is not better than Vick's and he's only slightly more accurate statistically. If you think Carr has the edge in arm strength, you just haven't seen Vick play.