1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carr or Vick?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by drapg, Sep 10, 2002.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Well, Manny, couldn't you say the same thing about Michael Vick? This thread isn't about the type of quarterback Carr will become. It is a comparison of Carr and Vick. Vick hasn't played a full season either, unless you count carrying the clipboard and coming in for about ten snaps a game...

2. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Well, it is pointless to me, Cat, to compare these two. It is like comparing apples to oranges. I mean McNabb and Warner (the first 2 games notwithstanding) are 2 of the best QBs in the NFC, but I don't think you can compare them.

Just like with Vick and Carr, I don't think you can compare them. However, on pure athletic ability, there are not many humans, let alone QBs, that can compete with Vick.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

By the way, you might want to consider that The PTI guys also work out of DC, and if anyone has a bias it would be them. We unfortunately get to watch VT every week.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

mcneese state... alcorn state; alcorn state... mcnesse state.

i honestly have no idea what this means. was the idea to maybe confuse me? who are these big east QBs you're not naming for some reason? totally and completely baffled.

whatever your point and however you want to try and spin it, you're the one who's twice brought up where they played in college as a basis for evaluating their pro prospects:

5. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Or thats just a crappy excuse to negate the opinions of two of the most respected (edit)guys(edit) in sports journalism.

#125 NYKRule, Sep 16, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2002
  6. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

whatever your point and however you want to try and spin it, you're the one who's twice brought up where they played in college as a basis for evaluating their pro prospects:

Quote:
    That being said, I would take Vick in a heartbeat because of pure skills and he played at Virginia Tech.

Damn, that vaunted WAC conference, so much talent, so many national powers. Every QB that wins in that conference must have leadership abilities. I'm not saying he doesn't. Its just funny that the Big East is probably better in talent.

1. The first one was just because I am a Virginia Tech fan. It has no relevance on my opinion, as its the most common choice by non-Texans fans.

2. The second comment was complete sarcasm. I hope you spin it that way in the future.

3. Donovan McNabb (Syracuse) is the other Big East QB. But it doesn't matter.

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

David Carr got rocked today, admit it. I know you have 823 excuses (i.e running game, defense, passing game, special teams). 6-25 for 87 yards, Rich Gannon had that in 2 minutes, Carr isn't Dan Marino yet. He is a Rookie QB, He will make mistakes, and I know the Chargers Defense is very, very good. Carr isn't going to throw for 2 TDs every game, and neither is Vick.

DO NOT make judgements on the first 2 games of the season. This argument shouldn't even be taking place until 2007 at least. The texans are 1-1, the falcons are 0-2, Michael Vick didn't throw a pick today. David Carr was kept in check all game by the Chargers. Again, This conversation is stupid, You can argue about college careers all you want, But until Carr and Vick both have 3-4 NFL seasons under their belt, You are doing nothing but predicting.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

Hey moe, I doubt anybody here liked Gannon from the beginning :)

9. Timing

Timing Member

Well Michael Vick looked pretty damn awesome tonight even if it was against the Bungals. I don't remember him being that accurate on his passes in college. Vick just has ability that Carr will never have. Damn he's exciting to watch!

10. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Vick is the better QB, always was. Vick is one of a kind, I think the best to come out of college in the last 10 years. I am not saying Carr is bad, I think once we get a OL that will protect him and some WR that catch the ball he will put up numbers close to what Favre does.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Rich Gannon is a perfect example of what happens when someone works their way up the ladder of the NFL, and gets shunned for Elvis Grbac. Nice Move Kansas City, You threw away a 2 time Pro Bowl MVP for Elvis... whatever happened to him? oh you went with Trent Green instead.

Bottom Line - The Bengals SUCK very very badly, and anyone who loses to them should hide their heads. Vick is running around the field like it's his own backyard and htting WR's like they were 2 yards in front of him.

Carr is getting no protection whatsoever and no help from his WR's.

12. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Moe- What you need to bear in mind is that Gannon is a product of the West Coast Offense, which has made just about every QB look good. Gannon is vastly overrated. He throws 5 yard passes that turn into 15=20 yard gains after the WRs catch and run. Gannon is incapable of making a play when he needs to ie. 3 and long, 4th and long, etc.

Gannon is a good QB, I admit, but he's not all that. The West Coast Offense even made Steve Bono look very good 11 years ago.

Bill Walsh should be paid money by every WCO QB and all of the coaches (Holmgren, Andy Reid, Shanahan, Mariucci, Gruden, etc.) who have used his offense to land them head coaching jobs.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

I can respect guys like Gannon and Chandler who stunk for several years until they figured it out.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

What the hell are you talking about? Tim Brown and Jerry Rice can't bounce off any hits, They catch the 8 yard out and get tackled right away they can't run for 10 yards after the catch.

How can you say Rich Gannon is overrated? So he has no arm, what the hell does it matter? He is 32-18 with the Raiders right now. Don't tell me he can't make plays, While he doesn't do it as much anymore, he can run for a 1st down. You watch this year, Charlie Garner will have a pro bowl Faulk-type season this year. Whatever Callahan did, he made Charlie Garner go insane, This guy had 1 TD all last year and now he 3 TDs in 2 games. Garner will carry the Raiders offense this year. 3800 yards passing, 27 TD's and 9 INT's last year. thats a 3-1 TD-INT ratio. He is a very underrated player. Look what he does in the Pro Bowl, Throws it to Tony Gonzalez for Quarter and a Half and gets the MVP award both times.

Gannon cannot throw the longball I admit it. But Gruden/Callahan were ingenious in hiding it. Did you see the Steelers Game? 3rd and like 25 from their own 10, they do a little shovel pass to Terry Kirby for 28 yards, 1st down. They went out and got a QB who can run their offense, Look what happened when they got Jeff George, Sure Tim Brown had 100 catches and 1400 yards but they sucked. Rich Gannon runs the WCO to perfection. And finally, We have the RB who can make plays. Brown and Rice will get their catches, Jerry Porter will assume the role of Successor to Rice. The Defense is finally here. We will go all the way this year.

15. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

[​IMG]

Here's to another season full of that.

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I hate myself.

Oh and Michael Vick averaged 17.3 yards per carry against the Minnesota Vikings and then went on to Destroy the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau (predicted by yours truly)

Carr's got quite a lot to accomplish this season to keep up.

17. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Don't you just hate when old threads are brought back up and you don't like what you posted previously:)?

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I can't even believe this was an actual argument.

19. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

Vick.....no contest. The guy can run a 4.2 and has a damned howitzer for an arm. He is probably the most athletic quarterback ever.

20. Live

Live Member

In just a straight comparison, I'd go with Vick. He has more natural ability, even as a passer. (Understand that a Vick-Carr comparison is like deciding between a '65 Shelby Mustang & a '67 Camaro, you're still getting a cool a$$ Carr! (Couldn't resist) :D )

The thing that scares me about Vick & the Falcons (or any other team he could have played for) is the over-reliance on Vick & his abilities. I've always thought that was the big knock against Randall Cunningham & John Elway, they were so talented that their teams were tempted to just ride them to victory. But once they were surrounded by other hard-working players, BOOM...

That said, I'm very happy that Carr is a Texan.