1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carr or Vick?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by drapg, Sep 10, 2002.

1. drapg

drapg Member

Interesting "Toss Up" question thrown out on "PTI" today...

If you could choose a qb for your team, which young qb would it be? Vick or Carr?

Both men chose Vick. I think I'd agree, based on his mobility and potential. Yeah, I used the dreaded "p" word... but Vick came into the league as one of the most heralded quarterbacks in the past 20 years. Both would be great selections, but Vick is just more tantalizing a selection, in my opinion.

2. Buck Turgidson

Ask us again in 5 years...both have the potential (there's that word again) to be HOF type qb's, but so did Ryan Leaf & Akili Smith. I guess, if both had been available in the draft, I'd go with Vick, for the same reason as you - mobility. He's really a special athlete, and from what I saw Sunday, he's made great stides as a qb.

3. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Most of the time I play NFL games, I try to get Vick as my qb. He's ok as a qb, but has a ton of potential. Not to mention his speed as well, which I love for a qb. I never have played with Carr, so I don't have an opinion about him.

Man, I basing my opinion on the two on video games. Well, Carr did show me some stuff this past Sunday.

4. mfclark

mfclark Member

I saw both Carr and Vick in action on Sunday, and must say that Vick is further along at this point.

Both will be good QBs...but Vick's mobility gives him a definite advantage now and in the long run at the position.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

how insightful, considering... what do ya know? vick's been in the league a year longer...

6. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

I am, as some of you know, a HUGE Atlanta fan. I watched both games and came away impressed with both qb's. If I has to choose one though, it would be Vick. While impressed with Carrs maturity and ability to read an NFL defense, I think Vick has shown that he can too. The difference maker is that speed and agility, something Carr will never have. Make no mistake though, Carr will be an very good qb in a few years (hell he may already be) but I don't think he'll ever be as dangerous and hard to defend than Vick.

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

These discussions are much too premature. Vick has the mobility edge, but Carr has the accuracy to go with his rifle.

8. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

Not to start anything, but Vick's arm is stronger than Carr's.

9. rezdawg

I hope you are talking about throwing the deep ball here. If so you are correct. But, what I am talking about is throwing a 25 yard pass on a rope. Carr has more arm strength in this department, not to mention the accuracy.

10. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

I'm not sure I understand your logic here. Are you saying that the guy who can throw the ball farther, when asked to only throw it 25 yards, somehow loses some of that strength?

11. rezdawg

There is a big difference between throwing hard and throwing deep. Just like the difference between Randy Johnson's arm and Ichiro's arm.

12. mfclark

mfclark Member

And played all of what, two more complete games? Not to mention that Atlanta is running what is essentially an entirely new offensive scheme this season, in addition to their switch to the 3-4 defense.

Also, let's not forget that Carr stayed in college for all 4 years. Vick? Just 2. With one year of NFL experience, all things considering, they should be on just about an equal level right now.

Given each player's physical tools, I'd rather have Vick's arm and mobility. Not just now, but down the road as well.

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

While Carr is certainly not close to Michael Vick in mobility, I think it's important to note that Carr's not a Peyton Manning or Drew Bledsoe that has no speed outside of the pocket. Carr's been on the run a lot in the last couple of weeks with the injured offensive line, and he actually has underrated speed when he's scrambling out of the pocket. Like I said, he's no Vick, McNabb, or Brooks, but he can move.

It's too early to tell, but right now, I'd take Carr. Vick definitely has the mobility edge, to go along with a similarly strong arm (don't know if it's stronger though, htown), but Carr has an edge in accuracy and intangibles, IMO. I'm not just going by week 1 and the preseason. Going back to the college football days of the two, Vick has never struck me as much of a leader. He gets the job done, but he seems somewhat quiet on the sidelines and on the field.

On the other hand, there's just something about Carr that makes me believe in him. As a rookie, he already has accepted a primary leadership role for the entire team. When he's on the field, you can really see how much fun he's having. His sprints down the field after the touchdown passes to congratulate his teammates and to pump up the crowd are reminiscent of a young Brett Favre.

To me, on a smaller scale, I think it's somewhat comparable to the discussions today involving Kurt Warner and Donovan McNabb. Before anyone jumps on me, I am not saying David Carr will ever be Kurt Warner, or that Vick will ever be Donovan McNabb. I am just noting the simularities. McNabb is definitely the better runner, with probably a stronger arm. But Warner is the better leader on the field with more accuracy.

In other words, it depends on the team they play for and the system they use to determine who is better. I think to choose one or the other now has to be a gut call, and right now I would choose Carr. It's way, way too soon to know for sure, but his confidence and leadership on the field remind me of some of the greatest.

14. rezdawg

C'Mon man...Whether he played or not is irrelevant. There is a reason he sat out most of the year. Its a learning process whether you play or not. Just in the same way McNair was benched for much of his rookie campaign. Also, does it really matter that the Falcons switched to a 3-4 defense?

15. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I would go with Vick, especially if you are building a team. Carr was sacked 6 times in the Dallas game. I imagine a mobile QB like Vick might have avoided half of those. Carr has a gun, but from what I've heard about Vick, his arm is just as good if not better.

Think about this, if Vick had stayed in college and been available in the draft this year, who would the Texans have taken? It seemed like they were hell bent on drafting Vick before he came out early, so I think that settles it on who is the better choice now. Of course, who becomes the better QB down the road is another question, one that won't be answered for some time.

#15 Oski2005, Sep 10, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2002
  16. rezdawg

LOL, From what you've heard?

17. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

Just for the record rezdawg, how many of Vick games have you seen?

18. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Yeah, from what I've heard on tv and read in magazines. It's not like I've been scouting the guy.

19. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Anyone else would have gotten sacked the same or more because the Dallas pass rush is great! :D

Ok, we got lucky. That was the only think that I liked from the Cowboys game. I know that you guys had O-line problems, (which is an understatement.) but I think the total amount of sacks last year was around 24 last year, for the Cowboys. 6/24=1/4. That's pretty good improvement. :)

(too bad the other numbers were REALLY bad.)

Its funny that I based my opinion on a game while all of you are putting seriou thought into it. I feel really inexperienced. :(

20. rezdawg

I have seen 2 in person at VTech.

I have seen one full pro game.

And the rest on NFL Primetime.