1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Carr] Leadership is not an intangible

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by theWIGMAN, Dec 12, 2006.

1. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

posted on Texans Message Board

If this is true (can someone from 610 verify?), then it looks like the evaluation of David Carr is definitely over.

This is proof positive that leadership (or the lack thereof) is quite tangible ... and I thought this loser could be an "average" QB. :(

2. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

To coin a popular phrase from "the Replacements" movie, "winners want the ball!" Enough said. Carr doesnt inspire anyone, lead anyone or elevate anyones play around him. Game, set, match. Truth hurts ... Next year, please! New QB.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

. . and I thought Kubiak took the ball out of his hands
    is it possible
    Carr didn't want the ball?

Rocket River

4. updawg

updawg Member

Wheres Ric?

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

wow. this and the kubiak quote about mario williams not being in the game at the end because he wanted his best 11 on the field are eye-opening.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Cowering in the corner of his lunacy !!

DD

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

When did he say that about Mario? Do you have a link?

8. Lonestar28

Lonestar28 Member

He did not say Mario was not one of the best 11. He said they rotate lineman to keep them fresh throughout the game. He said we need to have our 11 best on the field at the end of the game and that includes Mario.

9. MadMax

ok..i didn't actually hear the quote. Lil Francis mentioned it here:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=121543&page=2&pp=20

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

They've rotated their D-lineman all year long. We've been through this. [EDIT: Lonestar28 beat me to it]

Anyway, doesn't surprise me that Carr didn't want the ball at the end. This was arguably the biggest game of his pro career....and he didn't want the ball....

11. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Speaking of leadership, did anyone hear David Carr's remarks on 610 this morning? Specifically the ones calling all of the fans' concerns "nonsense"? I swear, listening to DC is like listening to a surfer talk. His attitude comes across like: "Dude, chill out! It's just a gaaaame! I mean I'm happy, my family's happy, we have a nice house and I'm getting paid bodacious bucks to play a game. Life is good so just chill out and enjoy the view. I know I'm going to keep going out there and enjoying myself so lighten up fella." The sad thing is that he's like this after every loss: "We just didn't make enough plays to win. Ho hum, this is just so gosh darn disappointing...could someone get me a Fresca?"

I look at and listen to this guy and I see no fire and no burning desire to win. This is just a gig to him and winning and losing appears to be secondary. I'd like to believe that I'm wrong but I just don't think so any more.

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Throughout his tenure, it's struck me again and again that the biggest thing absent with Carr is a desire to be better. The best players in the game are rarely satisfied, if ever. They 'punish' themselves by working and preparing themselves to death, even after wins. Carr sleeps well at night no matter what and then clocks his 9-5 at practice.

Zero heart. Zero sweat.

Evan

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

been in chicago the past week - holy balls, it's cold there. and by the way, you think houstonians hate david carr...? spend 8 seconds with a bear fan and ask them what they think of rex grossman...

anyway, i heard kubiak's radio show last night; a caller asked him specifically about the end of the game and kubiak said it was his decision and that he'd make the same one again and again because, not only was tennessee holding a timeout, but too many bad things could have happened [a turnover, a penalty in the end zone resulting in a safety, etc].

those of you who don't listen to kubiak's show (and instead log into message boards and comment on completely bastardized and inaccurate versions of what he said) are, honestly, missing out. he's a straight shooter - little to no BS; he never ducks questions and struggles to sugarcoat his answers. based on nearly a year of hearing his show, and the way he's handled carr, i find it nearly impossible to believe he'd even ask carr what he wanted to do.

and i don't care if you have john elway in his prime, kneeling was the right decision. the defense had played well to that point. hell, even on the winning drive, they played well; forcing a favorable 3rd and 14...

if kubiak made a mistake, it was kicking to pacman jones. i'll tell you what, he's to that defense what young is to its offense. he's out and out terrific. the two of them are going to be making plays for a looooooong time in nashville.

14. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

IF Pacman can stay out of jail.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm no football expert, but I find it hard to imagine kneeling with John Elway would have been the right decision. 53 seconds...John Elway....chance to win the game.....I just can't believe he would want to kneel and/or a coach would make him do it.

Which is obviously one of the differences between Carr and Elway.

16. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I spit in your general direction for even questioning that.

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

well, yeah, you have elway but you also still have this offensive line...

kubiak did the right thing. the chances of taking a team 93 yards in 53 seconds is, at best, remote regardless of who your QB is. throw two incompletions, run on third down to try and run the clock, tennessee calls a timeout and suddenly you're punting inside your 10-yard line and handing the ball back to a team with, not only VY, but perhaps more frightening, a kicker who, last week or whenever, belted a 60-yard gamewinner.

sure, it would have been fun/interesting to see what carr could have done, and maybe kubiak, given the circumstances, should have turned carr loose - why not, right? but i think he made the right call. i have no idea how often it happens, but 90+-yard drives aren't commonplace under ideal circumstances; you're better off taking your chances on a 50/50 coin flip. especially at home. i find it exceedinly hard to find fault in kubaiks choice there.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

kubiak made the right decision, and im pretty sure if it was carr's call he would have made the same call.

19. MadMax

i would have made the same call, too.

i can't believe people were surprised. kubiak took the ball out of carr's hands entirely in the second half of the raiders game. you thought he was gonna follow it up by letting him throw on his own 10 with 53 seconds left in a tie game??? you play with the talent you have. until you trade it away.

20. Major

Major Member

I agree - you don't take that kind of chance, especially without any timeouts. The only thing Carr does well right now is throw short. You don't ask him to throw deep passes in that situation.

That said, it wasn't a 93 yard drive - they only would have needed a field goal try rather than a TD. So you're talking about a 55-60 yard drive to get a decent attempt off.