1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carmelo wants out of New York? [nypost]

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jacoby, Mar 14, 2012.

1. finsraider

finsraider Member

Seems to me that you have too many contrasting styles in the Knicks. Chandler and Melo can fit together. Lin and Amare can work. But combine the groups and the pieces don't fit.

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The guy led his team to an NCAA title as a freshman, and turned a Denver franchise that hadn't had a winning season in 10 years (Mutombo and Abdul-Rauf days) when he was drafted into a consistent winner.

He can be a black hole on offense and lazy on defense, but I think Melo's a winner.

3. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Chandler and Lin were playing great..

Melo is the cancer here.

4. what

what Member

The only thing melo is interested in is melo. one of the most selfish players in the league

5. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

They should trade him for John Wall. He would fit in perfectly with

[​IMG]

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He's "point forward" who doesn't pass.

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

And Lin.

8. delishman

delishman Member

I don't care if you are black, white, or yellow... Yao Ming, Larry Bird, or my booooooyyy....

Carmelo!

Stock is low.. BUY BUY BUY!

NY offense doesn't fit him. He is most definitely a star. WE NEED A STAR. Selfish star? Perhaps. Beggars can't be choosers.

9. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

JVG will be the head coach of the Knicks and will lead them to the NBA Finals as the 8th seed, but will lose to the Spurs.

10. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Lol at people saying they don't want 'melo, but I gurantee if we got him, as soon as he scores scores 30 or hits a game-winner all would be forgotten and he'd be the guy that everybody loves.

11. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

That's true, but it's a pretty major limitation. The pick and roll is the main play in the NBA these days because it works well, especially with the rules on perimeter players. There just isn't a lot of evidence that a ball-dominating, mediocre-passing SF can be a franchise player these days. The best two comparisons are Nowitzki and Durant. However, both of them are significantly better shooters than Melo. Dirk is also a lot more versatile, since he is a better 3pt shooter and is very smooth off the PnR.

In addition, Durant is excellent on D while Melo is below-average. Dirk is actually a pretty willing defender, too, and he has a career Ortg/Drtg of 117/103 while Melo is at 106/109. Durant is at 112/106 but based on his athleticism could probably be much better. I don't think you can blame Melo's poor D on his teams, since he's had quality bigs backing him up both in Denver and NY, and most of his career was with Karl, a good defensive coach.

Melo is a good player, but he's got very noticeable flaws. He's a lot closer to being Josh Smith now than he is to being Durant.

#71 intergalactic, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  12. Raven

Raven Member

More proof that NBA stars have more power than their brains can responsibly handle. If all this is true, just what did Carmelo expect? Is there a star, just one star, in the NBA who's willing to fight for a ring or do they all want one gift wrapped? The dude needs to realize that it's not going to be easy, either on the court or in the locker room, no matter where he plays.

13. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

I've tended to be a Rudy Gay basher, but I'd actually take him over Melo. If NY had him, I think he'd be a much better teammate and fit in D'Antoni's system.

14. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

ugh - Sloan is "interested" in the Knicks job "if" it became available.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/03/14/trade.notebook/index.html

While retired Lakers and Bulls coach Phil Jackson has frequently been named as a possible successor to D'Antoni, sources close to retired Utah coach Jerry Sloan say he would be interested in the position. Sloan retired abruptly in February 2011, and was pursued by a number of teams during the summer before resisting the recruiting efforts. In an interview with SI.com in early January, he said he was considering a return.

"I think if the right situation came along, whatever that is," he said. "I don't know what the right situation is. We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

"[Returning to coaching] is a decision where, if somebody talked to me, I'd review the situation like anybody else and take it from there."

15. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

then he would become lazy and destroy team chemistry...

his a cancer

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

First round exit.

17. Ashes

Ashes Member

Lol at NY Post.

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Chucker - Check.

Boneheaded - Check.

Lazy - Check.

Does not play defense - Check.

Does not pass - Check.

Low IQ - Check.

Inefficient scorer - Check.

HMMmmmm....I wonder why it is not working out.

He is a GGR.

1 person likes this.
  19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is probably BS report. But if it's true, it just shows how flaky Melo is. He was doing EVERYTHING he could to go to NY just less than a year ago. Now he wants to leave? Do you really want a guy like that to be your franchise player?

20. SacTown

SacTown Member

Carmello is a loser. He went out of the lineup and the knicks went on a winning streak. He comes back and they fall apart. The guy can score, but he doesn't do much else. He doesn't play D, he doesn't pass well. George Karl was so glad to get rid of him, I'm sure D'antoni would be as well.