1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carmelo to Lakers?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by basso, Feb 8, 2011.

1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

One of the big reasons they are at this point is because Kroenke pushed out both Vandeweghe and Warkentien (good GMs) to buddy system his own guys into the front office (his son is more or less running the entire show now) - he's got a rep for not appreciating outside opinions and being difficult to work for.

I wish nothing but the worst for them - they were definitely ridiculous throughout this entire saga.

2. edwardc

edwardc Member

All's fair in basketball they'll just be known has the third big three.

3. Rezbama

Rezbama Member

This would be a risky move because kobe takes roughly 20 or 30 shot attempts a game depending on his mood. Melo takes at last 30. So you have to find a a way for gasol to get his 25, Odom to make a contribution and have more than just three guys scoring for you all the time.

Melo on the lakers would mean Melo becomes a pure scoring option, Kobe would still command his shots whenever he wants it, the clutch shot, and getting it inside to gasol. Anthony would have to fight for his open looks and just hit it when he has it. I do not see it being that big of an upgrade offensively.

DEFENSE IS HUGE. Anthony can't be a premier defender like perhaps bynums presence, but for one thing, he can go one on one with the best, like LEBRON or PIERCE. so really, If Lakers want Melo, he would serve a strong defensive purpose and a good 20pt outing on every night. But I just see him as a finesse Odom. Bynum has intangibles like actually playing tough and big when it counts.

but getting rid of bynum is a clear sign that room for Howard is being made in 2012. Derek Fisher would probably get booted off the team as well with Artest to make room for Paul.

Doesn't Gasol/Odom Contract end in that year too? Bynum has an option that year too.

4. Steve_Francis_rules

I don't know where you're getting your numbers from, but both Kobe and Melo averaged right around 20 shots per game and Gasol averages 14.

5. Marteen

Marteen Member

I don't see this happening. Lakers fans can keep dreaming.
    If the Nuggets trade Carmelo for Bynum, it would eclipse the Gasol trade as the steal of the millennium.

You have got to be the dumbest idiot if you're gonna trade your best asset for someone who is injury prone. No way I'm making this deal if I'm the GM for the Nuggets.

Who else can the Lakers package with Bynum that would make it better than what the Knicks can offer, which I think STILL isn't enough?

It ain't happening, at least he's not going to L.A. this season.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This was a message sent by Chris Broussard (Melo's Camp/Leon Rose media spokesperson) to the Knicks.

-The message is simple-

There are other options potentially out there for Melo to go to if you dont just buckle up and make the deal already.

-Melo has made it very clear to the Knicks that he wants to go there before next season. Put a better package together before the trade deadline or LA might become the better option for Melo to be traded to.

7. clippy

clippy Member

Well, he may be talking about actual attempts when you factor in fouls. Unfortunately this very useful number isn't actually tracked publicly (you can estimate by FTs). Both Kobe and Carmelo are ball-monopolizing shot-jackers, although Carmelo does at least bring athleticism.

At any rate, this is pretty much a pipe dream because the Lakers wouldn't be able to resign Carmelo next year and continue their pursuit of Howard, especially with the new CBA (unless it is geared towards promoting superteams, in which case they may as well remove the luxury tax).