1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Carmelo to Knicks? (Nuggets, Wolves and Knicks discuss three way)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by _RTM_, Feb 5, 2011.

1. YourSecretLover

blah blah blah

wake me up when this actually happens :eek:

2. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Fair is what the market rate dictates. Denver's about to lose Carmelo for nothing. Beggars can't be choosers. :p

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

You mean, two guys who do not get into any games and a guy who 11/1 Donnie Emasculated couldn't give away (who then developed into the unsung 1st 1/2 Knixie) for one of the primo scorers in the world?

Somehow I credit this, if true, to the commish. The apparent tampering has been embarrassing but acceptable because it came from one of the anointed squads. :mad:

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Unless they think they can get to the finals this season with Anthony, it is a waste of 3 players considering Anthony claims he will sign with the Knicks as a free agent.

Is he good enough to get them past Chicago, Boston and Miami this season? Wouldn't it be better for them to trade Randolph and Chandler for players and/or picks (or just keep them) and have all of that AND Anthony next year?

1 person likes this.
  5. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

That is a pathetic deal. NY has them by the balls.

Crap we could provide a similar deal with Minny. Including a draft pick from Minny to Denver and a pick from Houston to Denver that would be better.

Trade Proposal

#25 jsmee2000, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  6. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Why would they want Yao Ming? Trade an expiring contract for an expiring contract?

Why would the Rockets want to give up Brooks for a Carmelo rental? I'm glad Morey's the GM and not you. :p

7. jsmee2000

Maybe money savings this year to stop the bleeding while they are flexible in the summer so that they can sign a player that they would like instead of NY leftovers.

Because Brooks days as a Rocket are numbered. He will ask for more money than what he is worth and he will walk away at the end of the season. This is specially critical after last night behavior.

Also, I never said that I would do this. By this post, I was implying that a better deal for the Nuggets could easily be constructed by replacing the Rockets with NYC when comparing the current deal between NY/MIN/DEN.

8. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

They save the same amount of money with Yao, $17+ mil contract covered at 50%( $8.5 mil savings). With Minny deal, they get $8-9 mil trade exception that also be used later and corey brewer, wilson chandler and a top 5 draft pick from the Timberwolves.

9. jsmee2000

Which is why I stated similar! The only difference is that Wilson Chandler is being replaced by a Rockets draft pick. The current offer is probably the best the Knickerbockers have to offer. Consequently, the "similar trade" proposal is a minimum starting point if you swap NYK by the Houston Rockets. Consequently, I believe that if D. Morey really wanted C. Anthony, that he could be had by adding a little more to the table.

PS. A lot of times trade exceptions are not used and go wasted. Therefore, money at hand is sometimes better. Also, who knows what will happen to TE in the new CBA.

10. BetterThanEver

I was wrong. The savings with Yao Ming is actually less than with the trade exception. The Nuggets have a $84 mil payroll, so they have to pay the luxury tax.

If they take back a trade a $9 mil trade exception, they save $18 mil total, $9 in player salaries and $9 mil in luxury tax.

If they take back Yao Ming's $18 mil contract, they save only $9 mil in insurance money. Insurance does not cover the luxury tax, since it's a tax on the team and is not part of the player's salary.

Yao Ming, low lottery pick-save $9 mil

Brewer/Chandler/Timberwolves 1st pick/$9 mi trade exception-save $18 mil. Kaching! Money talks.

11. BetterThanEver

Rockets pick is about the 12th or 13th level. The Timberwolves have the 2nd worst record in the league. Big difference. Brewer and Chandler are icing on the cake.

12. jsmee2000

Yes sir, you are right. I miscalculated the salary cap figures in my head which obviously have huge implications on the Nuggets' salary cap. Late night last night for an ol'timer like me.

13. jsmee2000

OK, assuming that the money savings was the same.

Somewhat similar starting point trade:
    Denver gets: Yao, Brewer, Minn 1st, Hou 1st
    Hou gets: Flynn, Melo
    Min gets: Brooks, Jeffries

So Hou 1st replaces Chandler ... so the icing on the cake is still there. Obviously, as discussed a few post above by you (which I agree with) the NY deal is better.

PS. I believe the Min pick is top 5 protected.

14. BetterThanEver

I completely missed the trade machine. haha. I looked only at your last post. Yes, it is a better deal.

I would think Chandler is comparable to Houston's 12th pick in a weak draft. It gives them more position flexibility, since they don't get 2 SF and a draft pick. They get 1 SF, and 2 draft picks that they can use any position. They would probably target PFs and centers. Kenyon Martin and Nene are gone. Of course, they still have their own pick also.

15. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

It's not Minnesota's pick. It's Utah's pick which Minnesota owns. Even ignoring the fact that Minnesota is not dumb enough to give up their 1st and Brewer for freaking Anthony Randolph, THEY CANNOT TRADE THE PICK as next year's pick belongs to the Clippers.

So a pick in the 20s, Chandler, and Brewer (both of whom will be looking for a payday after this year) for Melo? This is practically nothing, really.

16. BetterThanEver

Don't forget the $18 mil savings in luxury tax and salaries on a team that has no need to be in luxury tax zone, since they are giving up Carmelo and a deep playoff run.

17. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

I dont why Knicks are so reluctant to Galo in part of any deals. What do they see in Galo. They say he was goint o be the Next Nowitzki MY @$$. He is pure grabage - another guy who cant do anything but shoot. !!!WOW!!! Like there arent so many of those in the NBA already - there are literally half a dozen in the draft every year. Galo is way way over-rated.

I see much more value in Chandler and Fields.

18. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

[rquoter]Chris Mannix:

As much posturing as Denver has done, you have to consider this could be another tactic to get Hou, Dal, maybe even NJ involved again.

More than one exec has texted something along the lines of "that's it?" when told what NYK reportedly would give up.

RT @original_ARI Enough with DAL I would love for u to tell me what "assets" they have more then NYK? ... Probably don't. Rockets might.[/rquoter]

Either way this seemlingly proposed deal is really crappy for both the Nuggets and Wolves.

1 person likes this.
  19. jsmee2000

Based on Hmmm tastes good post. I followed this conversation between ARI and Mannix

[rquoter]

# @ChrisMannixSI enough with DAL.even if they were to get involved, I would love for u to tell me what "assets" they have more then NYK? #

RT @original_ARI Enough with DAL I would love for u to tell me what "assets" they have more then NYK? ... Probably don't. Rockets might. 19 minutes ago via ÜberTwitter

RT @original_ARI: @ChrisMannixSI true,if DEN likes brooks & hill ... Don't forget Yao's contract. 70 percent covered by insurance. 15 minutes ago via ÜberTwitter

# @ChrisMannixSI true,if DEN likes brooks(though have lawson)& hill(sucks) then maybe HOU.but we know melo isn't staying in HOU 12 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry® in reply to ChrisMannixSI

# @ChrisMannixSI but in the deal mentioned last night,DEN would only be getting 2 players totalling less then $6MM.MINN taking most contract $ 6 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry® in reply to ChrisMannixSI

@ChrisMannixSI so yao's value in that scenario is no longer relevant 6 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry® in reply to ChrisMannixSI

[/rquoter]

linky dinky

#39 jsmee2000, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The one thing that has been left out of much of this talk is that the new CBA could give teams something similar to the Franchise tag in the NFL. I almost believe that to be a lock to happen. Having 4-5 teams loaded like this years Heat is bad for the NBA.

For twenty five owners to believe they have no chance at a championship at the start of the season would be .... unbelievable. Thats worse than Baseball ....

Many teams are already operating in the red , the league cant continue to suport that without revenue sharing either unless they seriously consider contraction. With the way Stern has pushed expansion , I just cant see that being an option. The talk of contraction is simply a negotaition ploy to give the owners more leverage,

Expect some significant changes to the next CBA.

Should a team other than NY swing a deal for Melo , they would surely hold all the cards under these circumstances.
    Not to mention that salaries will likely be lower overall in the next CBA meaning Melo likely doesnt want to opt out of his current deal and have to settle for 66 cents on the dollar for next year. Its in his best interest to get an extension done before seasons end.

1 person likes this.