1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carmelo Anthony prefers playing with Derick Rose and the Bulls over Kobe and the Lakers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mr. 13 in 33, Jan 25, 2014.

1. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Seems Lakers are going to be going downhill for a while. Good.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

There really isn't a history of Melo clashing with his coaches though.

I think the guy gets a bad rap for stuff like this. He's a good team player, he takes a lot of shots because quite frankly he's a top 5 scorere in the NBA so he's supposed to take a lot of shots.

3. Rokman

Rokman Member

I am really referencing their style of play. Hard nosed defensive coach having to manage a player that plays zero D and spends all his time jacking up shots. I think it would eventually make for a bad locker room.

4. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

It doesn't seem much different from Lionel Hollins and Zach Randolph, or Larry Brown and Reggie Miller. Thibodeau himself coaches some terrible defensive players every year, some of them much worse than Melo tbh. He's a great coach.

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

As an assistant to JVG, Thibodeau had to work with Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley, players who played average defense at best and were pretty good at iso ball and chucking

As an assistant to Doc Rivers in Boston, Ray Allen was the third best player and he's not known for being a defender. Hell, that team had Eddie Freaking House chucking away.

As a coach in Chicago, he's had Carlos Boozer (zero D) starting, Keith Bogans doing whatever Keith Bogans did best, watch Mike James chuck as many shots up as he possibly could, relied on Nate Robinson's offense (and little defense) time and time again, and has his current team owning a winning record despite the fact that they shoot 43% as a team (good for 28th in the league).

Thibodeau's a great coach not because he has great defensive players; it's because he runs great defensive sets. Boozer and Derrick Rose are bad defensive players but within Thibodeau's system, they do more and don't hurt their team. I'll agree to disagree when you say Melo's a chucker that plays zero D (if he plays zero D then what has Harden been playing?). I'll agree with you that Thibodeau is a defensive-minded coach because that's a given. But to try and draw a conclusion that they both can't co-exist because of some trend/style you made up is ridiculous.

6. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Having Noah, Gibson, Butler playing defense, and offense to Rose and Melo. Whats not to like about it?

7. Nook

Nook Member

Anthony's defense would be fine in Chicago. He is a bad defender, but not as bad as Derrick Rose and you didn't see him sitting in Chicago. Also, Tibs and the Bulls desperately want a volume shooter and scorer, so that wouldn't be an issue.

The real issues are:

#1 Would Anthony want to play on the Bulls with Rose's health and quality of play a real question?

#2 Anthony isn't giving up a 5th year and nearly $40,000,000; which means that it will have to be a S&T.

#3 The Bulls, in order to get the cap space for a S&T would need to jettison Boozer (amnesty), trade Dunleavy (take no salary back), trade Taj Gibson (take not salary back), trade the Charlotte pick and their own #1 and #2 (take no salary back) and then not have Mrotic come over. If they do ALL that, then they can get Anthony.

8. Nook

Nook Member

If Anthony is in Chicago, then Gibson and probably Butler are not going to be on the team.

9. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Gibson would have to get moved to make cap room, unless Melo takes a paycut. I don't think they'd have to move Butler, though.

10. yummyhawtsauce

The coach would whip Melo into shape. Bulls 10x better than Knicks team. As someone else said, Iw ould like this move just to see some more competition in the east

11. basketballholic

Ugh. There is no 5th year in sign-and-trades.

12. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

The new CBA doesn't allow extra years or money in sign and trades. So he'd have to give up a year and some money either way.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. Nook

Nook Member

Ohhh MY GOD! I FORGOT, PLEASE FORGIVE ME!

*BTW none of the players on your little list were traded to the Rockets.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Thank you, I forgot......

16. basketballholic

But they could have been. What you are suggesting is impossible.