1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carmelo Anthony or the #1 Pick, which is more valuable?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TmacsRockets, May 25, 2008.

?

Carmelo Anthony or the #1 Pick, which is more valuable?

1. Carmelo Anthony

49 vote(s)
    28.7%
  2. #1 Pick

122 vote(s)
    71.3%
  1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You never, never give up a proven super star like Melo -- especially after he has shown he can win a national championship as the focus of the team for an unknown.

2. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I agree. I think Beasley has too much upside to pass up.

But if I am the Heat I'd think about the #2 pick (Rose) for Melo (with filler).

Although with AI and Melo's lack of success together you wonder if Wade/Melo would be a great pair. So I can see the Heat just staying put with Rose (or if Beasley is there). Another advantage is after next season 2008-2009 with Marion off the books the Heat could pursue a max contract FA (AI, Davis, Arenas, Brand, or take a shot at RFA Bynum, Williams and Paul) to play with Wade + Rose/Beasley or resign Marion or other higher (above MLE) price role players (Odom, Sheed, Granger-R, Dre, Artest, Wilcox, Millsap-R, Bibby, Felton-R, Gooden, Maxiell-R, Maggette, Bogut-R).

If nothing else I have talked myself in keeping the 2 pick over Melo because of salary flex and allowing them to watch next year to purse a big time FA. The Heat in 2 years could be the dominant EC team.

Also, in Chicago's case, they are not going to be under the cap anyway with Deng and Gordan anty going in soon.

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

5 years, no playoff series wins and his numbers consistently shrink in the post-season. Not impressed and you definitely bet that a #1 pick can do better than that.

4. Tree-Mac

Tree-Mac Contributing Member

I voted Kobe

5. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

I think it would be better to have the #1 pick than Melo because the bulls already have Luol Deng who worked his butt off when he was a kid shooting 600 shots in the morning in the gym, the work ethic is major in my mind,Melo probably feels on top of the world having his own shoe on Jordan(which is hard to get), while Luol got the sportsmanship award.

6. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

For the Bulls... #1. However if I was just any other crappy team rebuilding, then Melo would be worth the #1. Two years ago Melo would've definitely won out.

7. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

melo is only 23. so hell yes.

beasley and rose are unproven. rose will take 2-3 years to be really good b/c he doesn't have a jumper yet. and beasley, like durant, will learn the college game is a piece of cake compared to the NBA. he's not gonna get 10-12 rebounds and all those offensive rebounds and putbacks.

melo is a top 3 scorer. though other parts of his game leaves a lot to be desired.

8. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

I doubt Melo's going to get fatter. The guy may be a lacking in the team department but individually he works pretty hard to become a star. He looks like he's not that cut but it's probably just his body type.

I like Beasely, but I don't know, I think I'd still take Melo because he's proven that he can get 27 to almost 30 ppg in this league.

9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i went with the #1 pick why?

melo is a great offensive player no doubt but one has to question his mind at times, that denver team really just killed themselves and melo was a pretty big reason for that.

i would go with rose, his speed and athleticism in today's league is too valuable at the PG spot. he may not have an impact his rookie season but he will at least his 2nd year.

also melo makes max dollars right now, rose/beasley wont make much money so it gives a team to add a potential superstar while using the money to add a more capable player on the team while still in the future being able to resign their prized rookie.

also if you look at the bulls all the great PGs are mainly out west take rose and he makes you that much better at that spot already. billups, arenas, (when healthy) and if you consider wade a pg are the only three guys I would put over rose right now that are in the east.

10. Lord Landry

Lord Landry Member

With Melo, you know what you're getting. He gives you around 25 ppg, 8 rpg, shoots at a good clip. Problems though, bad defense, questionable work ethic, and doesn't pass. Those are all issues for Melo. I personally would take Melo over the number 1 pick. Beasley is good, but I don't see him averaging 25 and 8 until his 3rd year or so at least.

11. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

I would do Larry Hughes and #1 for Melo.

But a big part of that is:

1) Getting rid of a horrendous contract (Hughes)
    2) You have no created tradeable assets (Sefolosha, Deng, Gordon, Nocioni)

Plus, I bet Melo can play some more 4 in the East.

It would be good for them IMO.

The real question is why would Denver deal a 23-year old Melo for any of the two guys who have already shown shades of selfishness in their careers? There is no doubt that Rose and beasley will be tremendous scorers, it's the passing/teamwork that's the issue for both IMO.

Plus they have to take Larry Hughes?

I don't see Denver doint it considering Melo is so young. Maybe if he was in his later 20's.

Right now, Denver needs to get a big pass-first PG to complement Iverson in the backcourt, and to keep Melo/Iverson from turning it over too much.

12. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Melo's not being shopped.

Thank you.

13. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

As a freshman at Syracuse, Carmelo Anthony was a better player than Derrick Rose and a much better player than Michael Beasley. He's been great in the NBA and he's still really young. I'd take Melo.

14. AXG

AXG Member

I'd take the #1 pick. It's most likely going to be Rose or Beasley. Both of those players are going to be studs in this league and do more than simply score. Melo is selfish and very one-dimensional.

15. Turcan5

Turcan5 Member

I think Rose will be a better pro than Anthony...not sure about Beasley though.

16. TmacsRockets

TmacsRockets Rookie

Coming out of school Melo was better than Lebron.