1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carmelo Anthony opts out

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets FTW, Jun 22, 2014.

1. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

In my opinion, due to the fact that the Knicks would have minimal leverage, a fair offer for a Melo snt to Chicago would not require Mirotic but simply the #16 + #19 picks along with perhaps a 2015 first as well.

Apparently the opinions at SBnation Knicks site Posting seem to agree http://www.postingandtoasting.com/2014/6/19/5824642/the-bulls-sure-seem-to-want-carmelo-anthony

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Why would you start Afflalo over Butler? (think about court balance and what you want out of a 6th man) and no, that lineup isn't doable.

3. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

ignore everything Bill Simmons says. He just makes up random trade scenarios in his little head for teams he likes and blurts them out. If they got rid of every other player besides Rose Afflalo Gibson and Noah they would only have $11M to sign Melo. That's also including getting rid of Butler. For that lineup to work Melo would have to take <10M a year...

4. slestack11

slestack11 Member

How about Deandre Jordan and Jamal Crawford's expiring contracts for Melo? Wouldn't the Knicks be interested in that?

5. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

I agree it would be hard for chi to get enough cap space. But what if they offered boozers expiring (bad but 1 year) and threw in the 16 and 19 and/or maybe mirotic and a future first rounder? Carmelo could go "I'm signing outright with houston unless you sign and trade me to CHI". At that point the trade saves luxury tax and nets the Knicks two picks which is better than the rockets 25th pick. Whatever is left over of those four assets are used to get aflalo. Can someone let me know whether this might work?

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yes but in trades, some things are worse than nothing because there's such a thing as negative trade value.

Taking on Carlos Boozer's $16m - which any other owner but the cheap Bulls owner would AMNESTY - is negative trade value. Yes, the Knicks don't care about money. However, Jackson does care about flexibility and he knows that Melo does not want to sign with a Chicago team that has been gutted + Chicago doesn't want to gut this team to get Melo. If Melo says Chicago or bust, then it's on Chicago to trade Boozer to a far more desperate team that's willing to pay $16m cash (in the form of a TPE) for #16 and #19 in this draft. That's still just enough to get Melo $16m and not a dime more if they want to keep the players Simmons mentions >> which means Carmelo is willing to play for $16m in Chicago on a team with no depth and a cheap owner vs $23m with the Knicks, vs $23m on the Mavs with the most generous owner and a fantastic coach vs $19m to play on the most talented team in the league in Houston (which, if you consider tax, Bulls would have to offer $21m to match financially).

I can see this happening if some other team or NYK think it's worth paying Boozer $16m for #16 and #19 picks, and Melo agrees to play for $16m and have faith in a cheap owner building the team with the vet min exception and having faith in Rose's knees. That's a lot of ifs, and I really doubt it's "very possible" as Simmons puts it.

The Knicks can just let Melo walk because if it's Chicago he wants. Call Melo's bluff, see how LaLa reacts to hubby leaving $7m on the table and going to a small market to play with a thus-far defective superstar. My instinct is Melo may want Chicago, but New York tells Melo's people they're actually only willing to deal with the Rockets because that's the team that will give them a TPE and picks, maybe even a Terrence Jones as well. Knicks come out clean, and can hold on to that TPE. A TPE is a huge advantage given Knicks are capped out for now, it allows them to acquire a MAX player any time.

Don't forget it costs money to bring Mirotic over. He has a buy out and he is eligible for an MLE-sized contract IIRC.

Lin and Asik are young and productive players, one of them overpaid. If Boozer has this kind of value, then that's great news because it means we're sitting on a gold mine with our expiring contracts and future picks.

7. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Carmelo officially gives <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Knicks&amp;src=hash">#Knicks</a> notification letter of opt out but club has known for three weeks <a href="http://t.co/80nQBu2jig">http://t.co/80nQBu2jig</a></p>&mdash; Marc Berman (@NYPost_Berman) <a href="https://twitter.com/NYPost_Berman/statuses/481056255448854529">June 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. jsmee2000

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/57334/should-knicks-execute-a-melo-sign-and-trade

Should NYK execute a Melo sign-and-trade?

9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I hope someone can post Screamin A Smith on first take regarding this

10. basketballholic

Boozer 's $16 million plus the luxury tax dollars generated by his contract for 16 and 19? Knocks basically buying 16 and 19 for $30 million or so? I can't see too many teams doing that buti can see the Knicks doing it.

11. jsmee2000

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Speaking from his restaurant, Walt Frazier says when all said and done, Carmelo will end up back in NY <a href="http://t.co/coEmHpxP77">http://t.co/coEmHpxP77</a></p>&mdash; Marc Berman (@NYPost_Berman) <a href="https://twitter.com/NYPost_Berman/statuses/481071141591601153">June 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Great strategy - this has been the Knicks game plan since Van Gundy left in 2002.

Wait and Hope....

[​IMG]

13. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

lol @ Knicks fans on twitter talking "about well at least the Rockets will have to give us Chandler Parsons "

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I believe he might be right. IMO, 50/50 Melo gets cold feet and stays in New York.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If I'm Chicago I'm trying to sign Melo, get Afflalo, ditch Boozer and offer Rose for Asik, Lin and Beverley or some kind of 3-way, maybe Rondo?

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Then they remembered that Rose will never be the same, and stopped worrying.

I think Harden can easily change his game to accommodate Anthony. He's done well as a super-sub in OKC, as the lone franchise player, and at making room for Howard. I don't worry about that at all. (Though I still don't really want Anthony.)

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Anthony’s free agency decision last summer was a very difficult choice between the Windy City and NYC, and the superstar forward says it’s something he’d never want to go through again.

Per the NY Post:

The behind-the-scenes, day-by-day look at Anthony’s free-agency tour will be shown Tuesday on MSG Network. During the program titled, “Carmelo Anthony: Made In NY,” Anthony emphatically states it came down to the Knicks and Bulls. The show depicts Houston falling out of the running because of the “culture change’’ of living in Texas and the Lakers losing out because they were in a similar, rebuilding situation to the Knicks.

“It came down to Chicago and New York,” Anthony said during the program. “Chicago was the one from Day 1 [and] was something I was very impressed with. They were looking for someone like me to come in and take them to the next level. So it was perfect. […] It was a perfect setup and perfect fit for me in Chicago. But also I had to think about just living in Chicago. Do I want to live in Chicago? Do I want to take everything I created in New York and move all of that? It came down to that. But there was one point in time I was like, ‘Oh, I’m going.’”

“Although it does look greener on the other side, it’s not always greener on the other side,” he said. “It’s only couple of people in each genre who are made for New York. Whether it’s music, fashion, or sports. I’ve grown up on that concrete. There is nothing that could happen there that I wouldn’t know how to handle it. […] I was the little kid running around in the projects and not knowing what would happen next. Whether my dreams would come true. To see it full circle now, it’s a great thing for me. A fresh start, clean plate, trying to build a different culture. The past perception of the New York Knicks hasn’t been great. But now we want to change that culture.”

http://www.slamonline.com/nba/carmelo-anthony-perfect-setup-perfect-fit-chicago/

18. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Does he want to live in Chicago? Maybe, but Lala didn't.

What exactly did he create in NY? A team that couldn't make the playoffs in a terrible conference...

He may have said he was going to feel out his wife and she shut that down fast.

19. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

http://nypost.com/2014/11/28/one-point-in-time-i-picked-the-bulls-melo-says-in-documentary/

Oh, please. :rolleyes:

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed. or . .. A - GREED

No way he was going to leave money on the table.
    These tours were about trying to see if he could get his MAX COTRACT *AND* ?Be with a winning team.
    Since none of the winners would or could give him that MAx like NY . . .he went to NY

Rocket River
    He was never my first choice anyway . .. .or even my second or third