1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carmelo Anthony: Officially clears waivers (Set to be a Houston Rocket)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bratna8, Aug 1, 2018.

1. bmelo

bmelo Member

yeah t-mac said he would make him an all-star and then he forgot how to be an all-star himself

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Oh Boi, Stromile, that Super IQ guy. Smh.

[​IMG]

3. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I remember it like it was yesterday.

5. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

And you'll get to remember it again as soon as Melo gets back from South Africa.

Tfor3 likes this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

OKC did us a MAJOR favor in letting Melo depreciate over the last 12 months.
    We STILL have Ryan Anderson as an asset (whose value as an asset has increased over that same 12 month period)..
    ALL WHILE STILL GETTING Melo at a bargain price!!!

First Harden, then Melo??? Morey could be a real dick, but WE should send some Thank You cards to Presti for all the blessings :D:D:D

rhee and Bobsputin like this.
  8. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

We might have won the title with Melo giving us something, as opposed to Ryno giving us nothing. Additionally, Melo would have taken away minutes from Ariza in game 7 against GS. Finally, we would have been free of Ryno's salary hit for 2019-20, and would have Bird rights to resign Melo should he have a comeback season this year. But I appreciate your efforts to see the glass half full.

csj and AXG like this.
  9. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Haha. The “original newsbreaker”. Kinda true, he called it a year ago. Haha

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

a podcast with potato?? why are clutchfans not all over this

11. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I think Ryno can only be considered an asset next summer. Teams willing to take a bad contract are more inclined to wait to see if they could scoop up a free agent in the summer first.

12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I remember I was the first guy to post the tweet with the tater tot god

heypartner, mockster and Aruba77 like this.
  13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i was surprised he gave so much love to Rockets fans (we are indeed much nicer than other fan bases) because i do remember some harsh potato head comments and mean tweets.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We would also forgive his chucking, at least for a couple months.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I want Courtney Lee bad for this team. He would be so perfect.

Corrosion and justtxyank like this.
  16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

This was a good podcast. Well done Cat!

The Cat likes this.
  17. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

I like to think there is a grade to increasing Ryan's value and along that incline are milestones where we can exchange him for better and better players until that value plateaus and then time becomes a major factor.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Do you expect a different Carmelo Anthony in a Rockets uniform?

Ramona: Yeah, sorta? I want this to work out. I don't know that he can. He'll be a better scorer in Houston. He'll fit that role. It does fit his skill set. They don't care what % he shoots. In Houston, it's about how many threes you can make. Defensively, it's not about effort or buying in, he's just not that good of a defensive player. Even if he starts games, I don't know how they can have him out there defensively finishing games.

Royce Young: To me, there's a little bit of a false narrative with Melo that he can't change. He can't change comfortably. He did change in OKC. He played a completely different role. There's been talk of a mythological creature Olympic Melo. Can he be that guy? He really kinda was that guy for the Thunder. He just wasn't good at it. If you can get past some of the efficiency things, he's gonna get a lot of threes, he'll make a lot of threes. He'll get a lot of looks. Can he do it comfortably? Can he happily play 20-24 minutes in a game and smile afterwards?

Amin: And maybe not finish the game.

Royce: That, to me, is the big question.

Amin: I want to ask you something. One thing we heard in OKC last year wasn't just...we knew the defense wasn't quite up to par but he was one of the last to know that the defense wasn't up to par. Do you have insight about that?

Royce: With Melo, he clearly thinks he's still an elite level player. He's having to swallow some pride on the fact he's now been bought out & taking a vet. minimum deal. What areas of his role is he willing to embrace a bit more & defensively, that's why he got played off the floor against Utah. During the Thunder's big comeback during Game 5, he sat there begging assistants to come back in. Same thing during Game 6, he barely played in the 4th. That was defensively. I was also told this: I'm curious how this will translate with Houston. He was a great locker room guy. But he does have this vibe, [I'm] Carmelo Anthony, he's this icon of basketball. I was told it kinda negatively impacted Russell Westbrook a little bit because Westbrook is known for his tenacity, his energy, his focus for games and Melo shows up to the arena and he's kinda cool. There was a little bit of a disconnect there between Westbrook & Anthony. How will that translate with Chris Paul, who is an ultimate competitor?

Ramona: Here's the best part: Chris Paul is his friend. If there's one friend who will tell you the truth, it's gonna be Chris Paul. He's not gonna back down or be nice because he's his friend. Chris Paul will get up in his face and tell him what he thinks.

Amin: Every time you talk about so-and-so is his friend and look at it as a positive, I always think about when you were in college and became roommates with your best friend. Everything is cool until you became roommates and then little things like I hate the way you chew your food, the sound of you chewing your food drives me nuts. It wears some people out.

#98 J.R., Aug 3, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    Vivi and Os Trigonum like this.
  19. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

As a 1 year expiring after a team has made all their summer moves will be his highest value.

20. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Potato commending the Rockets and for picking up Troy Williams after the Knicks cut him, wut? He also said loss of Ariza is huge.