1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carmelo Anthony is not an elite player

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, Aug 29, 2010.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

82games supports that

http://www.82games.com/0809/BYPOS8.HTM

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

Defense is notoriously difficult to measure defensively. I'll trust the scouts, who all say the same thing: Melo is not a good defender. Granger is.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Should read: "Defense is notoriously difficult to measure statistically". My mistake

4. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

What you just said is completely illogical! He IS more efficient and the numbers bear that FACT out........a better shooting percentage over less minutes with less shots taken. That clearly means he is FAR more efficient. No offense, but, your logic makes no sense.

Have you ever watched the two of them play?

Granger CLEARLY is the better defensive player. That is common knowledge throughout the league.

Additionally, Anthony takes roughly 30% of the shots for his team. How is he going to share the ball with Yao, Martin, Scola and Brooks? THAT is of major concern! Anthony has NOT proven himself to be a System kind of guy. So, given my choice, I would rather have Granger. I never mentioned availability....just my preference.

Now all that said, would I take Anthony for the right price (none of the starters except Battier)....sure. However, I would not sell the farm for him.

Oh, just an aside, I went to Syracuse and happen to love Anthony. He won us a championship.

That was not my comment though. I said I would prefer Granger as he IS more efficient.

5. blunto

blunto Member

Oh sweet, Danny Granger is on the trade block? Didn't realize.

I hope he requested a trade in the final year of his contract like Carmelo did, thus limiting his team's leverage, making a possible trade even more favorable for the Rockets.

6. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

I doubt it since the trade for Collison.

7. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

If you want to use overall stats use this site: http://www.82games.com/

Granger and Melo the last two years are very close. But Anthony is in the better conference, his team has had the better results and performed in the playoffs.

Mostly this suggest Granger is underrated and a great value for the Pacers. But that is hardly informative on whether and how much the Rockets should give up for Anthony--as he is a lot better than any Rocket unless Yao makes a surprising recovery.

8. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

I think this is where +/- stats meets it's demise. Danny Granger is a good player, might be more efficient, but is NOT better then Melo. I dont care what stat you conjure up, by simply WATCHING the game you can see this. Melo's role with Denver is bigger than Granger's with Indiana. With that said, you can argue that Granger might be a better fit on the Rockets

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Its simple math.

input/attempts * efficiency = production

The stats from espn and 82games show that they have the same efficiency. Since Carmelo takes more shots and plays more minutes at the same efficiency rate, his production is higher which is why his scoring average is near the top of the league. However its easier to be efficient when you take less shots and play less minutes. Ryan Bowen led the league in shooting percentage last year.

If you want to calculate efficiency as points per minute. Carmelo wins that battle.

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Got to interject something here - I see a LOT of confused statements on the BBS regarding efficiency. Efficiency is simple - how productive you are per touch or shot. It's a little complicated when you try and calculate it per touch (go into PER, account for turnovers, assists, etc).

I go straight to PPS. FG% doesn't take into account free throw opportunities. A 3pt sniper hitting 40% is more efficient than a slasher hitting 45%. A guy like Paul Pierce or Kevin Martin that can get a trip to the line (+1 or 2 shots) is more efficient than a volume shooter that dances around on the perimeter before taking a fall away long 2.

Granger's PPS is 1.31
    Anthony's is 1.29

They are pretty equivalent, and perfectly in between great (1.5) and bad (1.1). LeBron and Durant are both 1.48, which is unbelievable considering they face triple teams. Howard is an unworldly 1.80 (Shaq in his best seasons as a Laker tapped 1.52, capped partially because of his pathetic FT%).

The piss poor PPS folks include:

Brandon Jennings (1.04),
    Baron Davis (1.13),
    Kirk Hinrich (1.07),
    JR Smith (1.12),
    Ariza (1.07),
    Ron Artest (1.14),
    Michael Beasley (1.11),
    Charlie Villaneuva (1.13),
    Spencer Hawes (1.09),
    Al Jefferson (1.16)

McGrady hasn't seen the good side of 1.20 since his first year in Houston.