1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carmelo Anthony: "I'm the most underrated star."

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ghettocheeze, Oct 2, 2014.

1. gambingo

gambingo Member

He considers himself a superstar, but shouldn't a superstar be able to put the team on his back and at least get them the 8th seed in east? Seems to me like he's overrated himself.

2. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Kevin Durant hasn't proven enough to you yet to be considered a superstar?

3. slestack11

slestack11 Member

This whole business about who is a superstar and who isn't and that you need x number of superstars to win a title is complete BS. But what if a superstar was determined by the endorsement deals and the frequency you see them in commercials, then I would consider this to be the superstar list:

Kobe, Lebron, Durant, CP3, and Blake Griffin

4. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Superstars (otherwise known as franchise players)
    -Players who put up numbers and make their teams better. (Tim Duncan, younger Dwight Howard/Steve Nash, LeBron James, Kevin Durant)

Stars
    Players who can put up big numbers but end up becoming a ball stopper(because their team lack offensive weapons or "insert glaring weakness in game here") with their teams having decent to good records but can't seem to do enough to make it far in the playoffs. (Examples: Carmelo Anthony, James Harden, Kevin Love, Tracy McGrady)

My definitions

Regardless the reputation Melo has around the league is that he's a more offensive player who likes to shoot (and is damn good at scoring). He's definitely at the very least an average defender. Unless Phil Jackson can lure some other free agents to NY or can draft another great player... I don't see NY being very relevant for the next few years. At least Melo has a full 5 years to get paid like a franchise player right? This late into anyone's career, I'd think it would be difficult to take a pay cut so I don't blame Melo for resigning in NY based on salary alone.

5. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

why do most of you guys sound so bitter...?

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

CP3 and Blake don't have many endorsement deals, you just see them being in LA, Melo has more than either of them (hell Stoudemire was more) because their market is bigger.

7. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Underrated, like Melo probably.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He forced his way to a losing team, and forced them to give up talent to trade for him rather than just sign with them. Tells you a lot about why he is "underrated."

9. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

Missed Dirk at the superstars section. But I agree with you.

10. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

anytime you have some multimillionaire whining about some injustice put upon him (being underrated), it makes most folks snippy.... lol

as for him being underrated.... WIN SOMETHING, B****! If you can't even put your team on your back to get the 8 seed in a watered down Eastern conference... how good are you?

11. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

Missed Kobe as well.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

With 20/20 hindsight, he never had any intention of joining Houston, but played it up as much as he could.

Plus he threw Morey on the trail and that ended up costing us Kyle Lowry.

I wouldn't consider the 2nd part Melo's fault, but the 1st part plays the same mindset he gave in the OP.

13. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

And Nash isn't underrated. He's pretty properly rated.

He's on the same level as Harden defensively.

Carmelo isn't underrated in any sense of the word. He's consistently talked about as one of the best scorers in the world. He's also a good rebounder. He's also bad at creating for teammates and well below average at defending, but those things don't really get talked about in the national media. If anything, he's slightly overrated.

14. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

at least his defense is overated

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I love the swipe at the writers. They haven't done much he says. Really mature.

Melo hasn't done much in terms of winning. Both Harden and Howard have been to the Finals. He had a chance to contend in Chicago and Houston. He chose living in a boss city over team success.

16. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

^^^ OP's opinion on the matter is exactly the same as my own. Great post.

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Tmac chose winning over the big city lights in the thick of his prime. The comparison isn't fair. Mcgrady's knees gave out on him.

18. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Underrated or overrated, I would still love to see him in rox jersey.

19. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Nash is overrated. He did not deserve 2 MVPs (he actually did not deserve 1 MVP). It is a sham that he has more MVP awards than Hakeem, or Robinson.

20. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Which markets do you not see Blake Griffin's Kia commercials or Chris Paul's State Farm commercials? I will admit, I usually only hang out in LA, Vegas, NY, and SF, but they are on like clockwork in all of those markets during basketball season. Doc Rivers even said that he see's too many commercials with those guys and not enough playoff games.