1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carmelo Anthony expecting Knicks to resume trade talks, sources say

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Jul 15, 2017.

1. joshsemite

joshsemite Member

I don't think that's true. Think they just aren't willing to trade him for Anderson or Leonard.
    And if all that Houston is willing to do is move Anderson, then it's on Morey to find a taker for him - not NYK fault. I'll beat them up to no end, but in this case, there is no reason to settle. They are better off paying him and not letting him walk.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's time to play hardball and call their bluff.

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Basically find a player that fits what they want better than Ryan Anderson a deal gets done

5. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

I don't think they have. Melo's contract ends in 2 years (or 1 year if he opts out). If all they're offered is bad contracts, they're better off holding onto him and letting him depart as a free agent.

amaru likes this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think they are, that would do irreparable harm to the franchise. You simply can't hold a player hostage like that without it blowing back on you. Now, while it's true that everyone already looks at the Knicks as a complete joke of a franchise, a move like this would only cement that image permanently.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  8. amaru

amaru Member

To be fair they don't have much of a franchise image at this point
    Agreed for a rebuilding team losing him for nothing is better than taking back bad contracts. Rather simple when you think about it......but these are the Knicks

9. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

this melo thing is going to be dragged on. not going to happen anytime soon I think, maybe it'll be near when the season start if the knicks can't get anything better

Tfor3 likes this.
  10. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

I don't agree that it would be viewed as "holding him hostage." Every team in the league is expected to make rational moves. The Knicks holding onto Melo instead of trading him for garbage would be rational, not some stunningly player-unfriendly move. The only way this would look petty and "hostage-like" is if we were offering them a great deal and they still turned it down, just to be vindictive. That's obviously not the case here--we are saying, "Take our junk" (assuming we don't find another team who will take our junk and give New York useful assets). Pretty much every team would say no. It's standard, expected behavior.

don grahamleone likes this.
  11. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

U would think these dumb asses would want to start their "next chapter " sans Melo asap.

They're like a psycho ex girlfriend that can't move on

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  12. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Knicks trying to sound smart right now but just coming off as dumb.

Want to emphasize the development of young talent? Then move your best veteran player to open up more opportunities for those players to develop. They will continue to defer to Melo because he's great and that's not what they seem to want but they also care about the public perception of them getting robbed in a trade.

DonKnock likes this.
  13. 1Deep

1Deep Member

This has quickly turned into a Mexican standoff. So who blinks first the Knicks front office or Melo? They sound like they are determined to not be forced into a trade with us.

BHannes2BHonest, Yung-T and DonKnock like this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Any time you have a player that doesn't want to play for you that you are forcing to stay it looks bad. It looks a lot worse when you spend a year running down that player only to force him to stay. If the Knicks ever want to cast off their image as a complete joke of a franchise, they need to move Melo before the season.

BHannes2BHonest, Tfor3 and adw like this.
  15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You guys are so over dramatizing the consequences to the Knicks if they don't trade him.

joshsemite, ElPigto, Yung-T and 2 others like this.
  16. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

17. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Knicks are trash regardless

adw likes this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

They're not "forcing" him to stay, anymore than he's "forcing" anything with his no-trade clause. They're allowed to make decisions in the best interests of their team, like turning down bad trade offers. I sincerely doubt any NBA player is watching this thinking, "They won't FREE MELO when they're being offered Ryan Anderson's sweet contract? Well, I'm never going there, even if they give me the biggest offer."

Let's put it this way--if this were Houston and Harden wanted to be traded to a single team and that team was offering crap, I very much doubt that most people here would be saying, "We have to trade him for crap--we can't hold Harden hostage!"

20. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Now we are getting closer to a real trade happening.