1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carmelo Anthony Available to Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thumbs, May 9, 2008.

1. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

lol! That'd be awesome, but I don't even know if I could pull that one off in NBA 2k8...
    And I created a team that was nothing more than 15 clones of Lebron James. They won 78 games one season though...

2. McYao

McYao Member

I don't want Melo even if we could get him w/o losing tmac or yao...The guy is trouble..Why would you want to ruin our great chemistry for another volume shooter...He doesn't rebound well enough, doesn't play D, and doesn't make others better

3. Shaud

Shaud Member

Our great chemistry hasn't gotten us past the 1st round so if we could get Melo without giving up Mac or Yao then we should do it. But there is no way Denver would trade Melo without getting Mac or Yao, plus they would probably rather trade him to the East if they were going to trade him.

4. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Forget Melo, get the one person that doesn't fit in the Nuggets no Defense system. Camby!

5. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

as long as you dont package in Newley. ;)

6. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

k we'll package in Jawai after we draft him in the 2nd round ;) :D

7. LoveRoxHateJazz

Scola/Batter/Brooks for Melo and JR. Smith would be a great deal for the Rockets.

We could use the full MLE to pry away Walter Hermann from Detroit and SPLASH!

Yao / Hayes
    Landry / Hermann
    Melo / Novak / Harris
    T-Mac / Smith / Head
    Alston / Jackson / Francis

If we still have our pick, draft a backup center and we have a legit backup for every position.

8. McYao

McYao Member

You really can't count this year without yao being in the playoffs. As far as years past, frankly this year has been the first year where we have somewhat solidified our PF position with Scola and Landry. I just don't see Melo sacrificing his game to help us win. He's strictly a real good scorer in one on one situations but doesn't make others better. It's just like watching Francis his first few years in the league.

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

People seem to have a pretty low opinion of Melo. Sure, in comparison to Wade and LeBron he looks pretty weak and yeah, he's not exactly an intelligent human being but the kid can still play. He's a legit superstar and franchise player. If you think otherwise you're insane.

23-years-old and coming off a season marked with dramatic improvements in rebounding and shooting percentages. Not only that, but he continues to be a matchup nightmare given his post up game and ability to get to the line.

Sure, right now he's just a bunch of numbers. Give it time though and give him another coach before you judge him.

Back to the thread topic. There's not a chance we can obtain him. Maybe if we offered Yao but that's not a smart trade from our end. Either way this talk is rather pointless. If you want to dream big, dream about the Maggette's, Brand's, Jamison's, and all those other older guys with big pay days under their belts and looking to prove something.

10. beatpole

beatpole Member

if we get him not trading yao or tmac

i'll be ok with it, but we need tmac because

melo cant carry a team like tmac does

11. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

I think if Carmelo was put in the right situation, he would flourish. You have to remember this guy was the best player on Team USA in the FIBA Americas tournament. He put up huge number and was the leader of that team. His game is fundamentally perfect and with the right coaching he could be something really special. There are so many things holding him back in Denver, off-the-court distractions, AI, George Karl, etc...

It would be a steal if we got this guy for T-Mac.

12. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

you're right. the guy is very talented but he has ZERO heart, ZERO work ethic, and plays ZERO defense. Then you throw in all the baggage. If we're gonna get baggage Id rather invest in Ron Artest. Artest would be an overall upgrade to our starting small forward position. Given the choice, Id take my chances with battier over anthony. Sure you gain 15ppg on offense, but you lose them back on defense and lack of effort.

13. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Once again I agree. but I would note that you didn't mention anything about him being a great teammate, his great defense, his high basketball IQ, etc. yes he can score. Does he mess up our defensive chemistry? The way the Rockets even survived this year was on pure effort and desire. I don't see that in melo. I can't picture him taking charges or diving after loose balls, or giving third and fourth efforts on plays. I suppose if theyre gonna rebuild and we could get him for cheap id take him.
    But they would probably want TMac or yao in return. Id give them anyone but TMac, Yao, Scola, or Landry......... Maybe even say battier was off limits for nights when Melo was getting lit up on defense or just wasn't "feelin it" on putting in effort. Aside from those guys all we have left is second and third stringers (To me Chuck hayes, Mike Harris, Novak, AB are not "garbage"). If we could give them Hayes, Head, BJax, and 1st round I "might" do it. Don't think they would though.

14. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Given the choice I keep Scola over Landry. I love Landry to death but Scola is a bigger body and he can play a few minutes a game at center. More consistent scorder. Landry is too small to play the 5 and lacks skill to consistently play the 3 (outside shooting, ball handling, etc). Plus he'd get bruised over 82 games playing big minutes at the 4 as our starter. I hope he bulks up this summer but i hope he doesn't lose his hops.

15. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Did you think the Gasol trade was good too? Cause Kwame with a good coach could become a good player as well did you know that?

Nuggets and the world will be laughing their ass off if they got McGrady for Anthony, seriously........ The rockets cannot become an elite team with Anthony and Yao. But on the other hand, Nuggets will become one hell of a team.

If the rockets are stupid enough to throw in that trade, Nuggets will click the yes button to that trade immediately and laugh at us later cause they know they made a steal.

Honestly, a steal if we get anthony for mcgrady..... You made my WTF laugh of the day.

16. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

No way McGrady or Yao are gone for Anthony. I see a Brooks/Head/Battier trade for Melo. Take Brooks/Head/Battier or Jackson, with two first round draft picks, and some cash.

17. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

All you guys calling Melo a scrub are crazy. He is the best player in international competitions, he can score and rebound well, and he is a high percentage scorer. He is really more of 3/4 tweener but the Nuggets misuse him. He shouldn't be on the perimeter as much because he is more of a finisher than a playmaker. More like boozer than lebron.

Our reason for not wanting him should be because our stars are better than him. Tmac and Yao are top 10 talent and he isn't. If we could someone else...anyone else...to get Melo, we should jump on top of it QUICKLY.

18. ricky812

ricky812 Member

You are definitely out of touch. There is absolutely NO WAY the nuggets would agree to exchange anthony for mcgrady. I'm not saying anthony is a better overall player than tmac, he's a better more efficient scorer, but mcgrady does most everything else better. The thing is Mcgrady is 5 years older, injury prone, and on the decline. With him our window will last 2 to 3 more years max, while with carmelo we will be a contender for atleast another 5 years depending how long yao can stay healthy. At this point in tmacs career we would be lucky to get a michael redd or richard jefferson level player in exhcange, so obviously it is best if we stay put with our core.

19. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Exactly. I can't believe how many people think Melo sucks. The kid is only 23 years old and plenty of room to grow. Sorry, anyone who shoots a pretty high percentage for his career does not suck. If there is a way we can get Melo without giving up T-Mac or Yao, the Rockets would be all over it. But in reality, I don't see that happening.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I read the first page, realized people here are crazy, and skipped to the end. We wouldn't want Melo? Um, what are you guys smoking.

Just because he may not be a top 5 MVP candidate or anything doesn't mean he isn't good, cause he is.

Count me in the group that would trade anyone not named Yao for him.

The bigger problem would still be a third "star" - preferably at the PG position.