1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Rogers article (ESPN)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by serious black, Sep 13, 2005.

1. serious black

serious black Contributing Member

Sorry if this has already been posted. I searched and found nothing...
    Carlos Rogers was one of my all time favorite Rocket role players and if I remember correctly, his first season here was really good. Can't remember if he got hurt or if we just stopped playing him...

Sunday, September 11, 2005
    Rogers helping hurricane evacuees in Houston

HOUSTON -- Carlos Rogers hasn't changed one bit. He's still cracking wise on, while leaning his willowy 6-foot-11 frame over, anyone who crosses his path, just as he did for nine seasons with five different NBA teams. Only at the moment he's doing it in the sweltering Astrodome parking lot, trying to convince evacuees, security officials, volunteers and anyone else within earshot to check out the gospel service and concert being held in the monstrous white tent a few feet away.

“ It bothers me when the celebrities and the NBA guys come in for a cameo. Money is the easiest thing for us to give. It's time that's most valuable to these people. ”
    — Carlos Rogers, on hurricane relief efforts

"I'm not asking you to do anything, just stick your head in!" he shouts, thrusting another lime-green event flyer at a passerby. "You got to meet someone? Who you got a meeting with more important than God?

"And it's air-conditioned!" he adds.

Rogers was not part of the three dozen or so NBA players who took part in Sunday's goodwill event organized by TNT analyst and former Houston Rockets guard Kenny Smith to benefit the 200,000-some victims of Hurricane Katrina who now call Houston -- or a cot therein -- home. The players and a healthy horde of reporters and cameras gathered at 9 a.m. Sunday at a storage facility on the outskirts of town and then broke into several groups to visit evacuees being housed at two major convention centers and various smaller shelters around the city. A few hours later, a West squad trounced an East team 114-95 in an afternoon exhibition at the Toyota Center to raise further funds for the relief effort that devastated the entire Gulf Coast.

An impressive array of stars paid their own way to buoy the spirits of evacuees and volunteers alike. Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Tracy McGrady, Kevin Garnett, Amare Stoudemire, Dwyane Wade and Ron Artest were among those who both visited the relief sites and played in the exhibition. All 30 players involved personally contributed $10,000 or more as well.

Rogers, though, was not impressed. He has been here since Monday, when he saw Oprah Winfrey's TV special depicting her visit to this city-within-a-city hastily constructed and operated by Houston civic organizations and the American Red Cross. He caught the next flight from Detroit and has spent nearly 12 hours a day helping construct a recreation area that includes everything from board games to full-court basketball courts in the Astrodome parking lot. When a donation of washers and dryers came without detergent, Rogers, who also has a house in Houston, bought an SUV-load of laundry soap and drove it over. Then he flew in a childhood friend, Rev. Maurice Jackson, and a choir to hold Sunday's six-hour service and concert. He missed his 16-year-old son's birthday to be here.

"I love all those guys," Rogers said of the visiting NBA players, "but sincerity don't come with a camera. When you see people with nothing, you just extend your arms as far as you can. It bothers me when the celebrities and the NBA guys come in for a cameo. Money is the easiest thing for us to give. It's time that's most valuable to these people. I want to stay until everybody's got a place to go. I saw a sign inside that said, 'You've only lost everything if you've lost hope.' Maybe I'm that one person to shoot a little hope into you. That's what I'm trying to do, anyway."

The current NBA players, in their own way, achieved the same.

"I haven't seen the people here this excited since it started," said one volunteer who declined to give his name as he watched as a woman, her eyes welling with tears, whisper "Thank you for being here" as she hugged Bryant.

"It lets us know we're not alone," said Renard Carter, 47, who wore a Winnie the Pooh bucket hat as he carried a white T-shirt full of a half-dozen autographs. Carter is still searching for his 75-year-old mother, Audrey, who was living in a New Orleans nursing home.

"Let her know I'm here," he said.

Carter is actually among the last evacuees (estimates vary from 10,000 to 20,000 remaining) living at the Reliant Park complex, as evacuees have joined family elsewhere or moved to shelters or local apartments offering free rent for the first 18 months.

There is a push to have everyone transferred elsewhere by next weekend so the stadiums and exhibit halls can resume their normal schedules. Signs and public-service announcements inside, though, still reflect attempts to create order out of a mass of humanity uprooted and lumped together under one roof. Signs are posted on columns designating the surrounding cots as reserved for the elderly or families with and without children. The areas for lost children and single women are barricaded in light of the horror stories that are emerging from evacuees thrown together inside the Louisiana Superdome without supervision as the storm raged.

"If you are fluent in sign language," a voice over the PA says, "please report to the Red Cross information desk immediately."

A little while later, the same voice: "Two people interested in going to Baton Rouge, a van with room for two people is leaving now, please proceed ..."

And still later: "A moment of total silence in memory of the fourth anniversary of the Sept. 11 attack on the World Trade Towers ..."

The NBA contingent visited the exhibit hall in broad daylight, which Rogers says does not compare to going inside the Astrodome -- or "The Hole," as he calls it, because the entrance and exit is a single ramp leading down to field level. At the start of the week, Rogers said the entire stadium floor was packed with cots, side by side, the lights dimmed as tens of thousands of people in one large space tried to sleep without reliving the nightmares of the previous week.

"You have to be here at night," Rogers said. "That's when it gets real."

Rogers credits two other Houston-based NBA players, Sam Cassell and Nick Van Exel, for also pitching in when NBA media were not around and the situation was at its worst.

"They were hands-on when it was thick," he said. "They were delivering toilet paper, baby formula. They did it all."

The NBA, though, certainly made its presence felt in the way Smith hoped, generating more than $1 million in supplies and contributions before the exhibition even began. Dividends included seeing Kobe smiling, mingling with the public and bouncing around the court again, a rarity over the last year with the gloom of his rape trial in Colorado and the Lakers' struggles. LeBron and Stoudemire's effortless dunks allowed the evacuees in attendance to forget, for a moment, the long road that still lies ahead. T-Mac and Gilbert Arenas provided a last-minute duel of ridiculously deep 3s, T-Mac winning the contest with an effortless nothing-but-netter one stride past midcourt. Who knows, perhaps it left the displaced Cajuns with the notion that anything is possible.

Me? I'll take the image of Van Exel, Cassell and Rogers -- all three dinged for being selfish or self-absorbed at various points in their careers -- in the trenches and out of the spotlight, providing an assist and a rebound that involved no ball, scoreboard or paycheck.

Sometimes, after all, the best highlight reels are the ones that no one ever sees.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=2159082&type=story

2. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Man...

'Los is the BOMB.

I wish we could bottle that kind of attitude and feed it to the Terrell Owens' of the world.

3. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I always liked Carlos Rogers too. He always had such a positive outlook on things, even though he was perpetually injured.

4. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Carlos Rogers was, is, and will always be a great person.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Didn't Rogers donate one of his kidneys to his little sister a few years back? Anyways, I actually played against him on a pickup team in CA in the mid-nineties. I don't know if he was just taking it easy, but he was getting eaten up inside on defense and then just sat out on the perimeter on offense bricking 3's. Halfway thru the game he started yelling he sprained his ankle and then walked off to the sideline. Seems like a nice guy from this article though.

6. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Los was the man when he played with us. i honestly was pretty pissed off when we didnt decide to resign him and he seemed to be a nice person but I swear, i saw a few games where he had a shouting match with Cato, but then again, i think everybody had one with Cato.

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Yeah me too. I remember when he sort of bleached his hair one year and had dreads. He scored like 25pts that night, but then got injured...again.

CLutch had a good pic of him on the front page with the funky hair after he went off and won the game for us. (00-01 season I think)

#7 Uprising, Sep 14, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2005
  8. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

Clutch,

Can we honor the 'Los by putting his mug on the front page for a day?

9. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

i write for the paper at my school and i wrote an article about the game and threw in rogers' quote. despite him being a very good guy i don't agree with him on this. those players spent hours handing out goods to people, signing autographs, talking to them, and kevin garnett even played football with some kids. the nba players gave more than money. they did give time, and if he isn't impressed he should look at what the mlb and nfl have done for these people...which is very little. stephon marbury is giving as much as the entire league is giving in $1 million. and the nfl is the most profitable of all the sports league's by far. at least the nba players did something as compared to nothing.

10. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Yeah I think what Los did is awesome and deserves to be commended, but I just don't get this whole talking to the media about how other guys should do more like me and not for the camera time. It's almost as if he is doing the same thing by complaining about them to the media. I think anyone that does anything is well deserving of praise. Everyone has different ways of helping out and none of them are wrong. I'm sure there are some athletes that helped out that we don't even know anything about because they did it completely quietly without any media whatsoever. That said, I think Carlos did alot to help those people and he is definitely a good man.

11. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

funny story about carlos.....he came into the bank where i worked about 5 minutes to closing w/ a huge louis vitton bag full of loose cash....of course we were like wtf is this guy doin here w/ that huge bag......so we counted and strapped all this cash and it was like all 50 to 5's.....it took us about an hour to count all of it even w/ a counter....paid us 50 bucks each for our trouble so i wasn't complaining.....just a kinda fishy story that makes u raise an eyebrow or two esp. w/ all that loose small change.....hope carlos isn't gettin into any mischief.....

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Perhaps you should do a bit of research as to what the other leagues are doing. 09/18-09/19 is designated by the NFL as "Hurricane Relief Weekend". In addition, the league's players and coaches have already collected over $8,000,000.

http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2005/09/08/1/

MLB pledged $2,000,000 (same as NBA). It is kind of hard for the NFL and MLB players to put together charity evens at the moment considering their seasons are in progress.

13. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

yeah it was a great article, and its wonderful what Carlos is doing for the community

14. CoPilot

CoPilot Member

A true Man among men ............Carlos Rogers

15. sabirk

sabirk Contributing Member

16. DJ

DJ Member

17. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

#17 Scarface, Sep 15, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2005