1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Rodon NC State pitcher

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Progs, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Progs

Progs Member

He is already consider the favorite for the 1st pick of the 2014 amateur MLB draft... I keep hearing that he is a once a generation type talent from pundits... He is basically the Andrew Wigiings of Baseball... Anyone that seen him pitch can give us a scouting report ?? With the Astros being pretty bad again this year maybe Astros losing ways payoff for next year's draft... Helps the Astros contend again by 2015... A trio of Correa,Manaea ???,and Rodon can lead the Astros to greatness again...

2. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know about once in a generati

3. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know about once in a generation. He may turnout great but he does not have the raw stuff Strausburg has or even a Felix Hernandez. Carlos has decent height (6'2"ish) with a very strong lower body and long arms. When I saw him he was throwing 92-95, but mostly in the 93-94 range. He also has a good curve. About 80% of his pitches were fastball/curve. He threw some other junk split/slider type pitch at around 90 mph. Honestly the pitch did not look that impressive but was very effective with players making weak contact. It must be hard to read, with hitters expecting the curve or fastball.

While he is not a once in a generation pitcher now, I can see why he is well thought of. His fastball/curve were both 8/10 and he has a good feel for pitching. He supposedly has gotten far stronger and bigger recently and his still easing into his body.

I would hope the Astros would give serious thought to taking him if they are in a position to do so. He would be our top pitching prospect since Oswalt and has more upside than the Stanford pitchers.

4. Progs

Progs Member

I love Ryan Stanek for this year's draft because his stuff is pure nasty... All he needs is innings this season and is projected to have a big season...His baseball IQ is pretty amazing as well...

1 person likes this.