1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Lee - Worst Everyday Player in MLB.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets934life, Aug 9, 2010.

1. DontTradeOswalt

That's Jerry Manuel's fault, he put Beltran batting 4th against Lincecum on his first game over a year.

2. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

What? He was actually decent against lincecum in that game. had one hit, and got good wood (twss) on another AB. His first few games back were decent...after that it's been down hill offensively and defensively.

3. psingh34

psingh34 Member

i guess the league must be full of amazing players bc the supposed worst player in the league has just won 2 games for his team with game winning home runs ..

1 person likes this.
  4. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

50 million a piece....

1 person likes this.
  5. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

You must have missed April thru July, let me refresh your memory...

BA .248
    Ops .703 (Thanks to a great August)
    OPS+ 88

He has had a GREAT August to get the rest of his numbers up to respectablilty but also still under .300 OBP and that speaks NOTHING to the HORRIBLE defense that has cost the Stros numerous runs that directly impacted losses.

6. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

hah... well played.

7. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

El Caballo! A YTI YIYIYIYIYIYIYIYI!

8. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Solution: Fire Ed Wade, pray that another team signs him as their GM, then trade him to that team, as Ed Wade is the only GM who would overpay for a player like Lee at this point in his career

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Carlos Lee has never played for the Phillies and I don't think he has the velocity to pitch out of the bullpen. I can't see why Ed Wade would be interested in him.

10. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I've been pondering Lee and his so-called untradeable contract, looking for players with equally ugly deals. The two players that most come to mind are Alfonso Soriano and Carlos Zambrano. Soriano is a WORSE deal so lets move on, but Zambrano is a VERY interesting case.

Zambrano, I believe, has never been an ELITE #1 starter but has been good, really good. The Cubs are pretty much fed up with the guy because of his attitude no so much his performance. He has come back over the last 3 starts to pitch pretty nicely, so I propose....

Big Z for Caballo

Their deals are virtually identical and while Zambrano has a vesting option for 2013 he would need to finish 1 or 2 in Cy Young voting in the next two seasons, doubt it happens but if it does then you'd probably want to keep him. I wouldn't have thought this deal possible until this past week when DLee was traded to the ATL creating a whole at 1st for the Cubbies. Lee has been playing a few games at first since Puma's departure and shown himself to be competent. Stros will have a hard time moving Lee because of his horrible contract and the Cubs will struggle to move Z due to his attitude issues. I think this deal would make sense for both sides, Cubs get a slugging 1st baseman to replace Lee and Z gives the Stros a VERY nice complement to Myers, Wandy, Happ and Norris. By the time Z's deal is up Lyles will be ready and money wise its a wash.

Myers
    Zambrano
    Wandy
    Happ
    Norris

With Paulino and Lyles waiting in the wings...now getting Zambrano not to choke out Wade maybe another issue. :p

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What aging players has Wade signed to lucrative long term deals since he has been with the Astros?

12. Poloshirtbandit

^ I like that idea.

13. Poloshirtbandit

Lee for Zambrano I mean.