1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Carlisle doesn't know how to develop young players," says Larkin

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Major

Major Member

It's not like any of their draft picks went on to have success elsewhere. The problem seems to be in the players they are selecting rather than the development of them.

2. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

More recently you could say Barea and Devin Harris developed pretty well under the Mavs. Beaubois looked pretty good until he totally fell off. Beaubois and Harris were acquired in draft day trades so I think they technically qualify. Even then, those guys were rookies a while ago.

Mavs org in general doesn't seem to do too well with draftees and young players. One of the reasons I dislike their team. The roster is basically Dirk and a cycle old free agents.

3. Jt29

Jt29 Member

Whatever. I still choose carlisle over mchale.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

Damn, Carlisle's getting more love from Rockets fans than JVG and Adelman put together. I don't seem to recall Adelman getting this much support when he glued TWill to the bench while the Rockets were floundering as a .500 team.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Of course. Adelman really ruined TWill's career.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Just like JVG ruined V-Mac's NBA career.

7. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

I'd take Rick Adelman over him anyday

8. bandwagon

bandwagon Member

Exactly! A lot of idiots are blaming Rick Carlisle for failing to develop young players. But they fail to recognize that all these young players still stunk after they left Dallas.

The problem is clearly their scouting department. They're doing a poor job of drafting players.

For the record, Carlisle does have a record of helping young players meet their potential. J.J. Barea, Brandon Bass, Jae Crowder, and Brandan Wright all played beyond expectations under Carlisle. O.J. Mayo and Ian Mahinmi got big fat contracts with other teams, thanks largely to Rick Carlisle.

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Well duh, it's not like the Mavs are known for their youth

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Maybe Carlisle is a racist for marginalizing Larkin and preventing him from becoming an all star. That is what the LOF's (Larkin Only Fans) would claim

11. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

True. Carlisle 'prefers' older players because that's what the organization was geared for, and mostly what they gave him. It was very much a win-now mentality, and Cuban absolutely believed it was much better to fill in the roster with proven veterans than unproven draft picks. So, those were the guys Carlisle worked with.

I have no inside information on how practices go etc,, but Carlisle's whole mentality is around seeing what each player can do, and how that can fit into the system. He is also very involved with making each player better. His outlook and approach would seem to work well with younger players, were that the approach the organization were taking. Which it seems to finally be doing. So, will have to see how it works out, but I think Carlisle is just fine with young players. He might even prefer them, so long as they are interested in working at their game and learning (see: Nerlens Noel)