1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carl Landry an option?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by catch22, Jan 22, 2013.

1. catch22

catch22 Member

this is a small incremental move but carl landry would be an upgrade for us in my view. at $4.0m a year he is also not very expensive. time to bring mandry back?

2. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Carl Landry is one of my all time favorite Rockets. With that being said, it is time to move on unless if we were to consider him as a back up.

We are in a position to attain another top 10 player. For us to resort to getting a player of Landry's caliber (again, I love the guy), would be desperate and improper use of resources available to us (time, money, etc.)

Harden is a guy to build around. We have him for 5.5 more years. Let him continue to carry the load which he is carrying and that will teach him a lot about who he is and what he is capable of. Let's not rush this process. By getting Harden we avoided tanking and sucking 3-5 years after that.

3. Akim523

Akim523 Member

I'd love so much to have Landry back in the lineup, but you know, Golden states GM isnt that dumb.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I think we should trade for Durant too after we get Landry

5. tdogg310

tdogg310 Member

Why would Golden State trade him away?? he's their 6th man, and a very good one at that.

6. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

O please, I think we should trade for LBJ before Durant.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

He's a big part of the bench for a team that is pretty legit this year. Oh, and they have him on the cheap this year too. Carl isn't going anywhere this year, and I think GS will probably look to retain him in the Summer as well. He's a perfect fit there, and here in Houston.... given their youth and depth at the PF postion, unless he's an all-star calliber player to build around, it doesn't really make sense.

8. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Which is exactly what Morey is not interested in.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I would love this only because he is one of my favorite players of all time.

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I had a chat with Carl outside of Thomas & Mac during summer league, and he would have been more than willing to play for the Rockets again. Said Houston was his second home and talked about how much he loved playing for the Rockets. When i asked him if he would sign with the Rockets (he was still a free agent at that time) he said, "they're getting rid of everyone, they don't want me". Probably one of the best value, non-rookie scale contracts in the league today. Glad his impressing in the Bay area.

1 person likes this.
  11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, Carl Landry is most likely opting out of his $4M contract (unless something seriously terrible happens, knock on wood).

Could he be an option in free agency? He probably wants a long term deal but being 30 by the start of next season may depress his value enough that a he becomes a candidate for one of those short contracts for big $ like 1 year guaranteed for $12M plus non- or partially-guaranteed 2nd year.

If the team doesn't find a long term solution, Landry would be a good short term one.

12. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

If T-Rob can develop a jumper he won't be too far off.

13. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

you think landry is worth 12mil for one year? :eek:

some of you overrate landry. he's a solid backup but not a starter. by default he's an upgrade for our starting pf since we dont have any lol. assuming we keep at least two of our young pfs next season, i dont want landry taking away their minutes. the young pfs will be our backup pfs. we need one who can start.

14. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

Let's trade for LerBron and Durant, then we can sign CP3 this summer!

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Lets trade for Lebron , Durant , Bosh and Kevin Love .... then sign CP3 , Howard & Pecovik while keeping Asik , Parsons , & Harden.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

No one is giving Landry more than $4 million a year. I'm sorry. Not with this new CBA. He's on the 4rth tier of Free agents this summer.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Landry is still averaging 17-9 per 36 this year, with a 61% TS

He's averaging 20-9 per 36 in the playoff.

He's proven to be a very valuable contributor on good teams. There is no way he doesn't get at least a 5-7 mid level deal.

Somebody will probably give him more than that.

We won't have the MLE this offseason, and we don't want to waste cap space. I like him as a player, but the finances don't work for us.

18. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Why buy the Honda when you can get the Lexus?

19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I don't see T-Rob being here next year if the Rockets plan on signing any big-name free agents.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Landry is a Hipster Power Forward