1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Career] Resume service and interview advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cohete Rojo, Jul 15, 2014.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Hey Dan, is your resume service free? I know you get paid to do this professionally but when you do it for CF brethren do you charge?

2. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

And in the Skills & Expertise section, include as many noun-based keywords as you can- this is a list for some who's in supply chain/sales/marketing operations:

Global Business Development
    Full P&L Responsibility
    Commercial Excellence
    Market Analysis
    Market Penetration
    Cross-Functional Collaboration
    Team Building
    Team Leadership
    Business Process Optimization
    Global Center of Excellence
    Budget Planning
    Budget Management
    Process Design
    Technology Design
    Consultative Sales Approach
    Complex Contract Negotiations
    Global Procurement
    Supply Chain Optimization
    Technology Tool Implementation
    Change Management
    Organizational Transformation
    Global Business Protocols
    Staff Career Development Plans
    Performance Evaluations
    Global Category Management
    Visionary Leadership
    Outside-the-Box Thinking
    Presentations to Senior Management
    Talent Development
    Project Leadership
    Mergers & Divestitures
    Change Agent
    Enterprise Business Process Architecture
    Sales & Marketing Operations Leadership
    Production Planning
    Quality Assurance
    Workflow Planning & Prioritization
    Customer Relationship Management
    Strategic Partnerships & Alliances
    English-Chinese Bilingual

And if you're not sure what to include, go to LinkedIn and search for someone's profile who does what you do. And borrow their keywords in their Skills & Expertise section. You can't borrow others' achievements, of course, but you certainly borrow their keyword phrases if they reflect your skills.

3. dandorotik

What I do is give the ClutchFans discount- it's actually on one of the Project Proposals I send out:

- ClutchFans Discount (25%)

Now, the thing is that since I work mostly with executives, managers, and professionals who have 10+ years of experience, and because the total time of each project is about 4 hours (incl. the phone consultation, writing time, etc.), the fee can run to $200- but at 25%, that's about $150- as the other posters can vouch for.

Which, being cheaper than Monster or Career Builder, most are cool with. But some can't afford that. Heck, back in 1999 when I was poor, I couldn't afford $10 for a resume service. So, what I do for those for whom the price is out of their range is I give them a written evaluation of how to improve their resume- for free. I'll gladly do that. So, you can just email me for a free resume evaluation at that email the other poster mentioned, and then you can either rewrite your resume yourself or decide you'd rather pay me to do it. Totally respect your decision either way, sir.

1 person likes this.
  4. SK34

SK34 Member

[​IMG]

5. BleedsRocketRed

Dan built my resume up and It was top notch work. I have got compliments by managers and HR personnel who have seen it.

110% Dan supporter here too

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:eek:
    Skills:
    Math Things
    Calculating Without a Calculator
    Doing Numbers N'stuff

7. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Haha, I might have to use dan dorotik.

I thought I had a super interview at CBRE. Went through their initial phone screen a few days after applying, got a phone call the same day from the HR manager to come into Williams Tower the following week to meet with her and the Operations manager for an interview.

It was a solid, standard 30 minute interview that went very well. I followed up with a thank you email shortly after and the same day the sent me some Microsoft Office Suite online testing which I completed in the 2 hours needed.

The following week the HR Manager called me up to meet with the Operations Manager and Senior VP downtown the following week. I went along and it started 20 min late as the SVP was in another meeting that ran over-time, no biggie. Then had a 1.5 hour interview and that went very well. Again, followed up with a thank you email. Around midday the same day I received a phone call from the HR manager asking how the interview went. Said it was great and she said that is good and she'll be in touch after talking to the Operations manager.

I called back two weeks later and she I was the first person they interviewed so they need to interview a few more people for due dilligence but I'm not out of the running. They will let me know shortly.

I called again the week before July 4 weekend. She said they just interviewed the final candidate and will let me know an answer either way by the following Wednesday after speaking with the Operations MAnager and they also want me to interview for another position too.

Haha, long story short. That Wednesday has past, and the week following I sent an email and left a voicemail and am yet to even hear a no back.

Sorta annoying to be dragged along through a long process like this especially when they won't give no and put you through a zillion interviews, test etc.

#27 Sooty, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  8. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Also knows every emoticons by heart!

9. dandorotik

Swoly, let me tell you something, you're actually more on target than a lot of people out there. Some get caught in the string of resume cliches, so that numerous resumes out there are full of self-starting, results-driven, outcome-focused, success-motivated, energy-infused, excellence-centered team players with excellent oral and written communication skills who are able to manage multiple tasks concurrently in high-pressure environments within high-demand market conditions through outstanding time management, conflict resolution, and relationship development skills applied to diverse groups of internal team members, senior managers, customers, vendors, stakeholders, partners, allies, community members, regulatory agents, 3rd-party service providers, OEMs, VARs, SMEs, PMPs, and...well, BMOCs.

In other words, "I do a kick-ass job."

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Wanna do lunch? :)

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

So many synergies.

How much can he lift?

12. SwoLy-D

Well, "able to write concise and to-the-point sentences" could be another skill untapped by ALL industries. :grin:

What's BMOC, "big men on campus"? Some of those anagrams are common... I guess to the people who know what they are. I certainly wouldn't include those to people who don't know what they are... am I right?

Just FYI... $150 IS $200-25%... not "about." :)

13. dandorotik

Yes, BMOC is Big Man on Campus... or, if you're a Rockets fan:

Big Morey on Campus

14. dandorotik

Next time you're in Lubbock, sure. Or in Houston between December 24 and 31st- I'm there every Christmas. I catch a Rockets game every time...yes, I was there when T-Mac got the call about his wife having a baby and had to leave at half-time....and when the Sonics beat us with JVG and Steve Francis...and when we annihilated the Blazers... and when I bought tickets for the January 28 Jazz game when I thought it was December 28 and had to buy scalper tickets at the last minute... and when I couldn't find my ******** car in downtown Houston for over an hour... ah, memories.

15. dandorotik

Exactly. You know, you have to write resumes a certain way b/c that's what is accepted. But, I swear, sometimes, I just feel like putting someone's resume on an index card:

NAME
    ADDRESS
    PHONE
    EMAIL

WHY YOU SHOULD HIRE ME: Because I'm smart, I'm dependable, and I rarely f**k up.

16. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Thanks for your advice Dan. I do think I need to work on my interview skills. Last call was from an HR rep and when they asked for my GPA (from five years ago) I kinda froze. I didn't think anyone at this stage in my career would be curious to know.

And thank you everyone else.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Dang! Spent the night in Lubbock two weeks ago on our way to Santa Fe (also got me some good pics in front of Walter White's house in the ABQ). You'll be getting an e-mail from me this weekend, most likely. I haven't updated my resume in a long time (been at current company for 9.5 years).

Thanks, man!

18. SwoLy-D

:) Why would you freeze? It's just a fact. If they asked you for a personal opinion, you'd be careful... but... just be honest. They prefer for you to have honesty. So what if you have a 2.8 or a 3.1? That only compares you with others.

The way I see it, just being honest in an interview should land you a job and you shouldn't need "skills" if you work well, can move up, learn to become professional, etc., and then get ready for your next move... but you shouldn't move often. If you're a jerk, you should not get a job. :eek:

19. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

haha should I let the CBRE one from above go?

20. dandorotik

Yes, be prepared for any question they throw at you, but don't memorize responses. Never works. Just know the type of way you would respond... heck, some interviewers will find something wrong with everyone- nothing you can do about it.

Do send a thank you note after every interview, though. I think the latest stats are that 7% do this and 93% don't. That's just mind-boggling. I've had at least 5 people I know of off the top of my head that actually got the job b/c of this. And that should be everyone, but ESPECIALLY anyone who works with or about customers- sales, marketing, etc. Really, everyone should do this.

Also, be prepared to demonstrate a skill that's required. If you're going for sales, be prepared to do a 1-minute sales pitch. If you're in technology, be prepared to show a skill in UNIX or whatever. If you're in finance, same. You can also bring a leave-behind document to the interview. When I had an interview at Worley-Parsons at Greenway Plaza back in---whatever year that hurricane hit Houston, the one that knocked out power for 2 weeks, Ike, I think...they wanted to hire me to help their team write their resumes when submitting bids on large projects (they had to submit team members' resumes as part of the package). I left behind sample resumes I wrote in oil and gas, including a Before and After. Got me the job offer.