1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Car recommendations and whether to buy or lease

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheRealist137, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Do you mean 1 oil change per 6 months and you did 4 changes total because you have owned it for 2 years? All of the costs listed here seem high as hell except the tires.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What do you mean by don't need how much power they have? How much power does anybody really need?

In reality any new car as ample power for one to drive properley, even a Prius or Versa.

If you think Mustangs and Camaro's have unnecessary power then basically all high end cars have very uncessary amounts of power.

Also OP, Chevy has been doing some amazing deals with their 20% off sales. They are doing a 20% off sale for this black Friday weekend on particular models. They probably will be doing they same deals at the end of the year too.

Last Christmas I took advantage of that sale and got a 15 SS Camaro for only 27k, a whole 10k off of msrp I couldn't believe it.

3. Sajan

Sajan Member

Data is below and you would be right. Most are dumped after 3-4 years. The sucker is the 2nd buyer who gets the car out of warranty.
    [​IMG]

Audi apparently is getting better.
    • Audi, once a sinkhole of service problems, finished third. Not only was it Audi’s best showing ever, it was by far the most reliable European brand. Audi has enjoyed several years of upward progress now, so its good standing is looking less and less like a fluke. Part of the reason is that it has relatively few truly new designs. The Audi Q3 SUV, which was already on sale in Europe for a few years, debuted in the U.S. as the most reliable new car in the survey.

The blue bars illustrate a brand’s consistency by showing the reliability range between its top and bottom model. The numerals indicate the number of models included.
    [​IMG]

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Wow honda has slipped. Ford has a terrible variance. Just get a lexus. I think a camry v6 is faster than 328i.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I mean, I'm just sayin' is all.

Everyone is blowin' their loads over the F150 and new Tacoma, and the Colorado is just chillin' being the best truck out there.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2016-chevrolet-colorado-is-the-motor-trend-truck-of-the-year/

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2015/11/17/chevrolet-wins-motor-trend-awards-for-car-truck-of-the-year/

6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I know what you mean man... It's like if they own a high priced car some guys think that includes all the maintenance associated with it, lol.

Hah, and yes I definitely could work on your Ferrari, but... Typically on a car like that it's probably best to have a pro mechanic, since I'm sure schematics are limited to their guys :)

Now as far as normal domestics/imports I am very confident in repairs on engine/electrical/brakes etc... I think the last time I've been to a mechanic has been more than 15 years ago. I recently invested in airtools and a decent sized tank/compressor, man.... I wish I did that sooner. Makes teardowns or tight spots so easy. My latest repair was on an oilcooler on a nissan, saved $700 by just replacing $15 faulty seal, ****ty design flaw basically caused cooler to leak like crazy due to premature failure.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't what the problem is with expensive cars and $14 oil changes.

8. The Stig

The Stig Member

If you want a fast sports for the best bang for you buck, go get a GT-R. Just sayin.

9. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

Is this chart for 2015 models only?

I'm surprised with how low Acura and Cadillac are here. I tend to check JD Powers report from time to time so it is hard to distinguish which report would be more reliable. Good to see Audi up there with Lexus and Toyota.

10. Sajan

Sajan Member

[​IMG]

11. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't want to get a new car, but my current domestic has almost 125k miles on it.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

What is it

13. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Fusion. It's incredibly reliable except I had to replace the thermostat and now likely the serpentine belt.

14. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

Lol I had a 94 Camry which now passed down to my bro that has over 200K. I still trust it.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

My '04 TL that I sold in August '14 had over 246,000 miles on it. I was tempted to get the catalytic converter problem fixed on it just to go over 250,000 miles, but ... decided just to sell it. :grin: I loved that car.

Most modern cars should be able to get to 100,000 miles easily and relatively problem-free.

16. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Don't buy a Mercdes C class, bmw 3 series, or audi a4 or less thise are the ultimate nouveau rich douche cars. The Dallas people cars.

Get a 2nd hand nice truck, 2013-2015 under 15k miles. These are good buys.

You want a fast car? Lol why? Speed down i10 traffic? 59 cluster ****?

Buy a truck.

17. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

I want an acura tlx, but the reviews are underwhelming. I am also still a fan of no auto payments. I'd be looking at pissing away $600 each month in insurance and auto-payments.

18. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Why don't you test drive it before basing your decision on other peoples opinion?

I remember awhile back a lot of people were hyping up the Golf GTI. I test drove it and it drove like ass. Even my sales person told me my current vehicle is way better and to avoid the GTI.

Can't believe every critic or popular choice and your preferences could be totally different.

19. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

3 series bmw is where it is at for you. Preowned you can find one for 25 k. They handle great and are fun to drive. Good mix of value, fun and a bit of prestige.

Also check out subaru wrx and brz/ toyota frs.
    You should be able to easily find preowned ones in your price range. Also fun to drive.

Practical cars you could consider include the subaru outback, forrester, acura rdx or the audi q3 or q5.

20. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Great post. Car reviews are some of the most subjective and full of fluff articles I've ever seen.

They often seem to follow the same hype train while some worthwhile cars get ignored. Case in point - the pre 2013 acura rdx was a beast. Fast, luxurious and with one best all wheel drive systems around (sh-awd). Sales were so-so and it never got the recognition it deserved by the press.

The newer model is actually a huge downgrade in terms of the all wheel drive system and ride handling but since it sells better, the magazines call it an improved car.