1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Car recommendations and whether to buy or lease

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheRealist137, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Whoa. That's completely opposite of what most 3G drivers say about their TLX's. Tell her to get her suspension checked out or something -- I know the strut mounts had a TSB out on them where it was recommended the dealership should tighten the nuts on them. I wonder if she hears a clunking sound when she goes over bumps. No way this car is bouncy. If anything it absorbs bumps. Is it the SH-AWD version? I know in the 4G those were known for a stiffer ride, but haven't heard the same complaints about it in the 5G/TLX.

As I'm getting older, I'm thinking this or my next car will be my last "modern car" that I buy new for over $35-40k (in today's dollars). Part of me wants to spend a lot more money on a car, but in reality I'd rather spend money on buying some land and building the house I want on it. Then I'd buy something like a Honda Accord and start buying some classic cars like Tri-5 Chevy's or cars from the 1930's. Like I said earlier, as the years go by, my tastes change. Nowadays if you want exclusivity or show off, you're not going to do it in a BMW or Benz unless you start pushing past $60k-$90k. And even then none of them really turn heads or anything if that's what you're looking for. I'd rather put that money towards one or two custom cars, drop a crate motor into them, nice leather seats, modernize the suspension and interior, etc. At least it'll be something you don't see on every corner and you'll have something that you customized the way you wanted to do it as opposed to being one of the many tooling around.

As for your choice in the IS, I hated the IS at first. I thought it looked like "Salvador Dali meets 7th grader". But as time went on, I kind of liked it. I even started liking the swoosh. I loved the seats in the car, too. The one thing I could never come to like was that center console with the AC controls and other stuff. It just seemed like they went back to the 1980's parts bin or something for the buttons. The F-Sport gauge cluster is pretty wicked, I must admit. The other thing I wanted to have was good mileage because I drive a lot and take road trips, and the IS wasn't going to give me that. For pure driving fun in terms of taking it around curves, flooring it, etc. the IS350 is a great car. I still would take it over a 2015 TLX if it had better mileage and probably a different center console.

For some people, they'll drive a beater so they don't run down their "nice car". Or they'll only take their "nice car" out when cruising, won't take it out in bad weather, or only take the beater on the daily drive to work and back, etc. When I started my first "real" job, I had a manager who bought one of the early Vipers (this was back around 1995, I think) from Cecil Fielder apparently. He still kept the old Ford Probe he drove from Michigan from what I recall to be a daily driver. I'm not sure I'd want to drive on of those early Vipers on a daily basis, either. I'd probably have to get my teeth replaced after a year of that.

2. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

You are absolutely correct. I'm purchasing a beater for the inevitable snow storm that hits Houston every 6-7 years. The .3 inches of snow is pretty lethal and if that snow touched my nice car, it would ruin the resale value.

3. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Unfortunately when you add options to it it will be $80k+. I was looking at the alpha Romeo 2 door sports car that came out and after I optioned it out it was an addional $20k. May as well get a Porsche Cayman gt4 for an extra 10.

4. benchmoochie

op, bottom line. Just test drive all models in whatever class you are looking at (sedan, compact etc). That's what I did. I even test drive some higher end models to compare (to see what other specify options are available for the cars). Then when you get your short list you can start to shorten it. December is good time to buy a car bc of the dealer incentives.

5. benchmoochie

I did that couple years ago. Had an 3 series paid off. So I went ahead and leased a two door Jeep Wrangler. That thing was cheap. Around $250 payment a month. Always wanted a jeep, so I did a short term lease on it to try it out.

6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I got you... Do what ever makes you happy.

That's usually what I do with these types of decisions. Within reason of course.

7. Sajan

Sajan Member

Ya I am paying off a Cayman.
    Have a 10 year old honda suv as my daily driver.

There's no way I am going to drive that cayman everywhere I go in Houston. The roads are chit and I would need an alignment after each trip.

When the honda breaks down, I will get another small car as a DD.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I hate trucks. I get no thrill from driving a truck. But they're nice to have around when you need them. It's nice to have a "beater" to take the dog out in or when you're going to a lake house, small town (gravel road) Texas, etc...

Lots of vehicles don't do well in traffic long term. Some people don't want their vehicles getting dinged up by pebbles, sitting in the sun for 8hrs at work, or whatever other daily hazards vehicles encounter.

Makes sense to me. Just depends what on how you feel about yours cars, why you drive, etc...

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The base model is still awesome enough for me. But even if you wanted to add a ton of options, for me it still came out to $68K:

• Rosso Alfa Premium Color
    • Convenience Package
    • Coupe Track Package
    • Racing Microfiber/Leather Interior
    • Premium Wheels
    • Bi-Xenon Headlights
    • Red Brake Calipers
    • Sport Exhaust System
    • 18" front / 19" rear premium wheels

[​IMG]

I mean....

[​IMG]

I would make love to that car even if it gave me Charlie Sheen's HIV.

10. marky :)

marky :) Member

From reading your posts about this car, I feel like you've had this already prepared and want to convince your S.O that you want to buy this car lol

11. Sajan

Sajan Member

This.

Buy a 2-3 year old Cayman S. It's a more refined car.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This is true, but in reality I'm as close to buying a $68K car as I am to buying a $5 million yacht. I mean, if I sold my truck and took my daughter out of daycare and just locked her in a kennel beside my dogs (and started feeding her dog food)? Then yeah I suppose I could get that car. But otherwise, nah. I'm SOL.

13. aggie87

aggie87 Member

If you go German, please lease it or ONLY BUY a CPO with a 100k warranty.. otherwise, you will be looking at a $2000 a year in repairs, etc..

I bought 2 door 328i fully loaded from Texas Direct Auto in immaculate condition, had it inspected by a BMW mechanic, and it had 16,000 miles for $23,500 drive out, original msrp was 50,000

Following happened while owning the car for 2 years
    1. Tension pulley went bad at 22k miles ($400 at indy shop)
    2. power seat motor screwed up at 30k ($1300 at Momentum) my fault for putting heavy 300+ lb box on seat
    3. Coil went bad with check engine 40k ($400 to diagnose and repair at indy shop)
    4. 3 rims cracked.. $450 in repairs (my fault for speeding on potholes)
    5. Idrive malfunction twice 30k, and 38k ($300x2)
    6. seatbelt grabber malfunction at 40k miles ($300 at Momentum)

Total repair costs spent in two years before 50k miles: $1380 annually in unexpected repairs

Maintenance costs:
    4 oil changes every 6 months ($400)
    ignored brake fluid flush light...
    2 brake jobs ($700x2 at indy (1000+ at dealer)
    windsheld wipers ($60)
    4 runflat tires ($800)
    new battery ($400 at Indy)

$1530 annually in regular upkeep

14. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

If German cars are so bad in reliability, why are they so popular? Too many people who cannot wait to repair their cars?

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Because they help signal that you are somewhat well off

16. The Stig

The Stig Member

Brand name. It's the same reason why everyone wants Starbucks over other alternatives.

That and German cars have a better driver's feel than other car manufacturers. I had an Audi before and I never had problems with it. Think it's to each and their own.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They are legit good cars

Well except for the CLA that OP is buying

18. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Guess Japanese cars are good enough for me. Just about to sell the 97
    Camry without much repair cost for the last 18 years, getting a Honda.

19. The Stig

The Stig Member

I don't have a problem with them. Sold the Audi for a Nissan ever since I moved back into town for work. My Nissan Rouge is running as smoothly as I could ask for.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Aside from that, the drive quality can be great and the interiors are superior. And that carries weight. Reliability is not everyone's priority. A lot of people toss their German cars before they hit 100,000. You don't see a ton of old models around. Especially when it comes to luxury lines (over sport) - modern luxury is fleeting now that tech is so big. What's top of the line now is crap in 5 years.